I clicked “Continue the partial update” ; Now I have lots of packages to install and I don't want to

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I clicked “Continue the partial update” ; Now I have lots of packages to install and I don't want to

Dorian VEGARA

Hi everyone,


First of all, thank you for reading my mail :-) .


Due to a supposed problem in my Ubuntu 18's packages, I could not upgrade to Ubuntu 20. Instead of checking what was going wrong with all the packages problems, I solved one or two packages problems (I think) and then, even if some problems were still present (I think), I wanted to start the upgrade to Ubuntu 20 (big mistake...!).

The graphical upgrader (or CLI, I don't remember) told me that I was going to do a Partial Upgrade. I clicked on "Continue". Then, I stopped it.

I'm still on Ubuntu 18. So the partial upgrade isn't done I think.

Now when I type: sudo apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, I get:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

(lots of packages)

The following packages will be REMOVED:

(lots of packages)

The following NEW packages will be installed:

(lots of packages)

The following packages will be upgraded:

(lots of packages)

2009 upgraded, 377 newly installed, 104 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I think all these packages are related to my Partial Upgrade. However I want to cancel my Partial Upgrade. In other words, I don't want to see all these packages. What should I do?

What I've already tried

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* but it didn't work...


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I clicked “Continue the partial update” ; Now I have lots of packages to install and I don't want to

Bret Busby-2
On 04/10/2020, Dorian VEGARA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>
> First of all, thank you for reading my mail :-) .
>
>
> Due to a supposed problem in my Ubuntu 18's packages, I could not upgrade
> to Ubuntu 20. Instead of checking what was going wrong with all the
> packages problems, I solved one or two packages problems (I think) and
> then, even if some problems were still present (I think), I wanted to start
> the upgrade to Ubuntu 20 (big mistake...!).
>
> The graphical upgrader (or CLI, I don't remember) told me that I was going
> to do a Partial Upgrade. I clicked on "Continue". Then, I stopped it.
>
> *I'm still on Ubuntu 18. So the partial upgrade isn't done I think.*
>
> *Now when I type: sudo apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, I get:*
>
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>
> (lots of packages)
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>
> (lots of packages)
>
> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>
> (lots of packages)
>
> The following packages will be upgraded:
>
> (lots of packages)
>
> 2009 upgraded, 377 newly installed, 104 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
> I think all these packages are related to my Partial Upgrade. *However I
> want to cancel my Partial Upgrade. In other words, I don't want to see all
> these packages. What should I do?*
> What I've already tried
>
> sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* but it didn't work...
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Best regards,
>


Hello.

I am no expert, and, you probably know at least as much as me, if not
more than me.

With the circumstances you have described, and, with you being
determined to not proceed with the upgrade - partial or otherwise, I
suggest that the solution is a clean install;
either a clean installation of the latest point version of 18.04,
or, a clean installation of the latest point version of 20.04;
or, waiting and doing a clean installation of 20.10, when it is released.

I have two computers running 20.04, which they have had installed for
a few months, and are kept reasonably updated, and my most powerful
computer is running 16.04, which I regard as the most stable and
superior version since it was released, and, which I will probably
keep running for as long as possible.

Oh, and, each installation that I have, is UbuntuMATE, as I prefer the
Windows 95 like interface.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I clicked “Continue the partial update” ; Now I have lots of packages to install and I don't want to

Bret Busby-2
On 04/10/2020, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/10/2020, Dorian VEGARA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>>
>> First of all, thank you for reading my mail :-) .
>>
>>
>> Due to a supposed problem in my Ubuntu 18's packages, I could not upgrade
>> to Ubuntu 20. Instead of checking what was going wrong with all the
>> packages problems, I solved one or two packages problems (I think) and
>> then, even if some problems were still present (I think), I wanted to
>> start
>> the upgrade to Ubuntu 20 (big mistake...!).
>>
>> The graphical upgrader (or CLI, I don't remember) told me that I was
>> going
>> to do a Partial Upgrade. I clicked on "Continue". Then, I stopped it.
>>
>> *I'm still on Ubuntu 18. So the partial upgrade isn't done I think.*
>>
>> *Now when I type: sudo apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, I get:*
>>
>> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
>> required:
>>
>> (lots of packages)
>>
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>
>> (lots of packages)
>>
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>
>> (lots of packages)
>>
>> The following packages will be upgraded:
>>
>> (lots of packages)
>>
>> 2009 upgraded, 377 newly installed, 104 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>>
>> I think all these packages are related to my Partial Upgrade. *However I
>> want to cancel my Partial Upgrade. In other words, I don't want to see
>> all
>> these packages. What should I do?*
>> What I've already tried
>>
>> sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* but it didn't work...
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Best regards,
>>
>
>
> Hello.
>
> I am no expert, and, you probably know at least as much as me, if not
> more than me.
>
> With the circumstances you have described, and, with you being
> determined to not proceed with the upgrade - partial or otherwise, I
> suggest that the solution is a clean install;
> either a clean installation of the latest point version of 18.04,
> or, a clean installation of the latest point version of 20.04;
> or, waiting and doing a clean installation of 20.10, when it is released.
>
> I have two computers running 20.04, which they have had installed for
> a few months, and are kept reasonably updated, and my most powerful
> computer is running 16.04, which I regard as the most stable and
> superior version since it was released, and, which I will probably
> keep running for as long as possible.
>
> Oh, and, each installation that I have, is UbuntuMATE, as I prefer the
> Windows 95 like interface.
>

Oh, and, in case anyone takes offence at my alluding to the Windows 95
style interface that is my preference, I believe that the style, apart
from having been available in gnome2, was also the style of the fvwm
interface.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I clicked “Continue the partial update” ; Now I have lots of packages to install and I don't want to

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Bret,

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 at 21:35, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, and, in case anyone takes offence at my alluding to the Windows 95
style interface that is my preference, I believe that the style, apart
from having been available in gnome2, was also the style of the fvwm
interface.

No offence taken.

BW,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users