Quantcast

I need my access to the Ubuntu forums restored

I need my access to the Ubuntu forums restored

rifter
I am not sure where else to take this, so I am sending it to
ubuntu-users mailing list.

As you can see below, I have been having difficulty getting into the
forums.  I did go to #ubuntuforums on freenode and worked with the
people in there. Together we determined that some logic on Canonical's
side is blocking me because of my email address, which is this one.
We were able to test using an address owned by one of the people in
that irc channel.

They gave me the email address I sent to below, but I am not on that
mailing list, so that didn't work. One of the people who I was talking
with there sent a message to - I'm not sure what group it was, but I
believe it was someone at Canonical.

I have been using this email address for probably 10 years now or
more, and for a similar amount of time had that email address in the
forums without a problem.  Not being able to get in is a recent
problem.  I do not think I should have to change my address for this,
and in any case I couldn't. You cannot create a new email address
anywhere these days without buying a cell phone, which I cannot
afford, and even if I could afford it, once you lose access to that
number, anyone who gets that number can have access to your email.
That would make the change suboptimal.

I need to know how I can get some further help with  this, as the
people in #ubuntuforums do not have the access needed to address my
problem directly. I would like to be able to post in the forums, both
to ask my own questions and to help answer those of others.  Thank you
for your time and patience.

Re: I need my access to the Ubuntu forums restored

Ralf Mardorf-2
Hi,

you could get a free as in beer email account from zoho.com. I switched
from rocketmail to zoho.com, because I got issues with mailing lists.
However, for my Ubuntu One account rocketmail, aka yahoo still works
without issues. If you only want an account for free as in beer, you
also could chose yahoo. There are several other free as in beer
providers, but I won't list them all. There could be several reasons
for issues with mailing lists, forums etc., however, I don't know what
does cause the issue in your case. I have to admit that I actually
didn't read your much too long email carefully, so I shouldn't try to
guess what might cause your issue, since this would require to re-read
your post. Simply get a new email account without buying a cell phone.

Btw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sign-on#Security mentions
Google, but I neither know what exactly SSO is, nor did I read the
Wiki, so I have no clue if the Wiki contains an explanation.

However, I try one guess, since Ubuntu Wikis had issues with spam, they
might have blocked access for this SSO thingy using gmail accounts. But
since I don't know what it is, this might be a complete stupid guess.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: I need my access to the Ubuntu forums restored

rifter
I can log into the SSO fine, but am blocked after the handoff to the forums.

I did forget to mention I tried a yahoo account I have with the same
format, same results. I am told there is some kind of pattern matching
on the canonical side that is tripping up on the zeroes in my account
name.

I think yahoo requires a cell phone for new accounts, too, these days,
but am unsure. I will look into this other place.
I still think that the people on the other end should fix this,
though, because this email should be fine and never generated any spam
for anyone.

I had other email accounts before - not for this - which I can no
longer access. I think trying to have too many going led to that. I
used to have email clients configured to connect to them all, which
has the side effect of keeping your password somewhere, but I lost the
hard drive those were on.

Anyway, thank you for the heads up - I will look into that site you
mentioned.  Hopefully I can get info on how t o contact the right
people to fix the forums on their end, though.

On 2/3/17, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you could get a free as in beer email account from zoho.com. I switched
> from rocketmail to zoho.com, because I got issues with mailing lists.
> However, for my Ubuntu One account rocketmail, aka yahoo still works
> without issues. If you only want an account for free as in beer, you
> also could chose yahoo. There are several other free as in beer
> providers, but I won't list them all. There could be several reasons
> for issues with mailing lists, forums etc., however, I don't know what
> does cause the issue in your case. I have to admit that I actually
> didn't read your much too long email carefully, so I shouldn't try to
> guess what might cause your issue, since this would require to re-read
> your post. Simply get a new email account without buying a cell phone.
>
> Btw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sign-on#Security mentions
> Google, but I neither know what exactly SSO is, nor did I read the
> Wiki, so I have no clue if the Wiki contains an explanation.
>
> However, I try one guess, since Ubuntu Wikis had issues with spam, they
> might have blocked access for this SSO thingy using gmail accounts. But
> since I don't know what it is, this might be a complete stupid guess.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: I need my access to the Ubuntu forums restored

Ralf Mardorf-2
Please button post, top posting has the touch of business mails.

Do you have any concerns about privacy? If so, I guess you are lost, as
long as you want to use the Internet.

Do you have any concerns regarding security?

If you don't care about privacy, just about security, consider to use a
free as in beer, no cellphone purchase required, Zoho account and run
everything inside a container-sandbox-alike-thingy.

I guess Oli could provide hints regarding snappy and Tom regarding
Linux containers. Unfortunately this isn't my domain, at least not with
a GUI involved. Assuming you should use command line only to access the
Internet, then a systemd-nspawn container might be secure enough. I
don't care about security, but I'm using systemd-nspawn a lot for
command line, but with a fishy workaround regarding resolver.conf :D.

Seriously, the most easiest workaround is getting a new free as in beer
email account from another provider, without taking care about privacy
and security.

Email accounts are for absolutely free, they just suffer from privacy
and/or security issues.

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 22:16:20 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>Please button post, top posting has the touch of business mails.
>
>Do you have any concerns about privacy? If so, I guess you are lost, as
>long as you want to use the Internet.
>
>Do you have any concerns regarding security?
>
>If you don't care about privacy, just about security, consider to use a
>free as in beer, no cellphone purchase required, Zoho account and run
>everything inside a container-sandbox-alike-thingy.
>
>I guess Oli could provide hints regarding snappy and Tom regarding
>Linux containers. Unfortunately this isn't my domain, at least not with
>a GUI involved. Assuming you should use command line only to access the
>Internet, then a systemd-nspawn container might be secure enough. I
>don't care about security, but I'm using systemd-nspawn a lot for
>command line, but with a fishy workaround regarding resolver.conf :D.
>
>Seriously, the most easiest workaround is getting a new free as in beer
>email account from another provider, without taking care about privacy
>and security.
>
>Email accounts are for absolutely free, they just suffer from privacy
>and/or security issues.

Actually my mail wasn't well thought out, regarding email account
security no sandbox, no container approach done by you could improve
security. Simply don't provide information, if you "sign up for
free". Actually criminals hack the provider's servers, not your Ubuntu
install ;). My apologies, I had an Italien herb liqueur too much.