Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Scott Howard-5
Hello artists,

QCad is a very popular GPL CAD program in Debian and Ubuntu. However,
upstream has not released a new version in a while, and will be
removed from Debian after squeeze. A new fork of the project,
"LibreCAD" has started. They have already ported QCad to qt4 and
implemented many community patches that the original upstream did not
have the resources to test and implement. The Edubuntu team is
currently working on getting LibreCAD included in natty. The package
is working, but we are lacking a desktop icon and good splash screen.

www.librecad.org is running a design contest for their logos.
Information is on their site. We're looking for a standard
freedesktop.org icon (.svg preferred).

The package is available at ppa:showard314/librecad
https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/librecad/

Please take a look, and I'm sure upstream will welcome any
contributions you can make!

Thank you.

Cheers,
Scott

Re: Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Martin Owens-2
My simple concept:

http://imagebin.org/133639

Not finished. Anyone else is free to draw on it.

Martin,

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 17:54 -0500, Scott Howard wrote:

> Hello artists,
>
> QCad is a very popular GPL CAD program in Debian and Ubuntu. However,
> upstream has not released a new version in a while, and will be
> removed from Debian after squeeze. A new fork of the project,
> "LibreCAD" has started. They have already ported QCad to qt4 and
> implemented many community patches that the original upstream did not
> have the resources to test and implement. The Edubuntu team is
> currently working on getting LibreCAD included in natty. The package
> is working, but we are lacking a desktop icon and good splash screen.
>
> www.librecad.org is running a design contest for their logos.
> Information is on their site. We're looking for a standard
> freedesktop.org icon (.svg preferred).
>
> The package is available at ppa:showard314/librecad
> https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/librecad/
>
> Please take a look, and I'm sure upstream will welcome any
> contributions you can make!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

Re: Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Thorsten Wilms
On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 17:54 -0500, Scott Howard wrote:

> www.librecad.org is running a design contest for their logos.
> Information is on their site. We're looking for a standard
> freedesktop.org icon (.svg preferred).

It's sad this is being framed as a contest. Would you do a coding
contest, too, without defining requirements and to then throw away all
but one submission?

Please read:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/on-design-contests-in-floss/

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 09:26 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> It's sad this is being framed as a contest.

Thorsten, the contest framing is why I only conceptualized and threw
that up. It's not worth doing more than adding to ideas and then getting
on with something else.

Not to say that there isn't a value in lots of people putting ideas into
a hat. It's just expecting finished results from each singular entries I
have an issue with. Besides, some people like to make lines, some people
like to make shades. Be a shame if they were competing against each
other ;-)

Martin,

Re: Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Alexander King-2
Hi Hi
i read heaps on inkscape :) and here what i was thinking for libreCAD logo/splash screen.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2869749/logo.jpg
for the icon i was thinking of keeping with the blue print idea and have a coffee mug half real and half blueprints and have rolled up blueprints behind the real coffee mug side and have the blueprint on the unrolled side
like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2869749/concept.JPG

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:07 AM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 09:26 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> It's sad this is being framed as a contest.

Thorsten, the contest framing is why I only conceptualized and threw
that up. It's not worth doing more than adding to ideas and then getting
on with something else.

Not to say that there isn't a value in lots of people putting ideas into
a hat. It's just expecting finished results from each singular entries I
have an issue with. Besides, some people like to make lines, some people
like to make shades. Be a shame if they were competing against each
other ;-)

Martin,

--

Kind regards,

Alexander King
Oxodise Media | ABN: 93 128 144 953
310 24 oxo (310 24 696) | [hidden email] | www.oxodise.com

Re: Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

John Baer

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Scott Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Scott,

I am trying to get my arms around your request and need some additional information.

  * Is there desired dimensions for the icon(s)?
  * What feeling or visual would you like the icon to inspire ( viz. drawing ) ?
  * What is the intended purpose(s) ( viz. menu bar icon )?
  * Is there a palette or suggested colors?
  * Is there a deadline?
  * Are there design choices that should be avoided ( viz. no pencils )?
  * Where would you like submissions posted?

Kind regards,

John

Re: Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Bugzilla from svelanka@gmail.com

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Alexander King <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hi
i read heaps on inkscape :) and here what i was thinking for libreCAD logo/splash screen.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2869749/logo.jpg
for the icon i was thinking of keeping with the blue print idea and have a coffee mug half real and half blueprints and have rolled up blueprints behind the real coffee mug side and have the blueprint on the unrolled side
like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2869749/concept.JPG

Kind regards,
 Alexander King

The splash looks good; I would reduce stroke width on the crosshatching and maybe add a engineer's grid to the background.
--
Saleel

Re: Icon for LibreCAD (future CAD program in Edubuntu/Ubuntu)

Alexander King-2

The splash looks good; I would reduce stroke width on the crosshatching and maybe add a engineer's grid to the background.
--
Saleel

Ok added the grid and made it thinner
Thick http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2869749/splash.png