Increase panel's default height

Yousuf Philips
Hi All,

As part of my initial UI and UX work on Xubuntu, i've been focused on improvements to the panel properties dialog and I created a video with a number of suggestions < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF-XHI6_37A > and one of them was changing the default panel height. Below are the default panel sizes in other XFCE distros.

Manjaro 18.0.4 & Swag Arch 19.1: 27px
Enso: 28px
Linux Lite 4.4: 30px
Linux Mint 19.1 & GalliumOS 3.0: 32px
Galore: 38px
MX: 40px (panel is in Deskbar mode)

And these are from other distros
Ubuntu Mate 19.10: 28px
Lubuntu 19.10: 32px
Kubuntu 18.04: 36px @ 800x600 and 30px @ 1368x768 or larger

My suggestion is to increase it to 28px which is the lowest even number from the sizes listed above and would allow 24px icons to appear in the panel with 2px padding above and below. It is the default I use both on my 1366x768 laptop and 1440x900 desktop. Alternatively we can go up one or two notches to 30px or 32px to have even more padding and improving the panel's visibility at 1080p and higher.

It might be good to reach out to the community on twitter and run a poll asking if poeple think it should be changed and what the new default should be. I havent filed this yet as a enhancement report on launchpad, as maybe the decision would be to make this change upstream.

Regards,
Yousuf Philips

Re: Increase panel's default height

Aaron Franke
I completely agree, I set my panel to be 40 pixels high in Xubuntu. The default size is way too small. While it would still require me to change the height, 28 or 32 pixels would be a lot better.

I suggest avoiding 30 because it's not divisible by 4, but 24 and 32 are both divisible by 8.

We should optimize for modern resolutions like 1080p, of course other screen sizes exist and those users still have the option of changing the panel size.

P.S. The panel doesn't seem to work correctly when set to 50px or higher, which makes XFCE unusable on 4K displays to me.

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 05:46:02 PM EDT, Yousuf Philips <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I ran a poll on twitter for a week < https://twitter.com/jphilipz/status/1149373399770312705 >, with pleia2's help < https://twitter.com/Xubuntu/status/1149374615392792576 >, and 60 votes came in and 57% want it to be increased to 28 or above and 43% voted for the current 24px default. Its hard to know whether those voting for the 24px default would be happy with this vote, if they were using 19.04 and above, as the default icons there are 16x16 compared to 20x20 in 18.04. With the new algorithm for the panel of never upscaling or downscaling icons to panel_size - 4, this is another reason in favour of moving to 28px IMHO.

Some additional numbers:
Ubuntu: 66px (panel is in Deskbar mode)
Windows 7: 40px

Regards,