Ink level report .....

Barry Drake-4
Hi there ....

I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 for my sister today.  The one thing I
haven't found a way of doing is reporting ink levels.  She has an Epson
Stylus Photo C66 printer.  After I came back home, I did a bit of
research on the forums, and found inkblot - which doesn't seem to work
in 10.04, and one or two other apps that either don't find my printer or
can't read it (my own printer is a Brother DCP 135C).

'mtink' looks as though it might work, but I wonder if anyone here knows
of something that will do the job on my sister's printer.  I'm going to
have to talk her through installing it, or she will have to wait until I
go over there again, and she's quite low on Yellow ink.

Regards, Barry.
--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.

Re: Ink level report .....

Barry Drake-4
On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 17:56 +0000, Barry Drake wrote:
> 'mtink' looks as though it might work, but I wonder if anyone here knows
> of something that will do the job on my sister's printer.

I've just answered my own question.  I talked her through installing
mtink and it works well and shows all the ink levels correctly.  When I
come over, I'll write her a script to save her having to open a terminal
and use 'sudo mtink'.

Regards, Barry Drake.

--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.

Re: Ink level report .....

Mark-530
On 26 November 2010 20:37, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 17:56 +0000, Barry Drake wrote:
> 'mtink' looks as though it might work, but I wonder if anyone here knows
> of something that will do the job on my sister's printer.

I've just answered my own question.  I talked her through installing
mtink and it works well and shows all the ink levels correctly.  When I
come over, I'll write her a script to save her having to open a terminal
and use 'sudo mtink'.

Regards,                Barry Drake.

--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.

Looks like you have it sussed but here is a somewhat over engineered script I wrote for checking ink levels for a Canon attached :

user=$UID
 if [ $user != 0 ]
  then
    zenity --error --text "You must run this script as root in order to run the right programs"
  exit
 fi

function mainMenu {
	install_pkgs
	test_ink
	}

function install_pkgs {
	#this script requires ink libinklevel5
	iink=$(dpkg -l | grep "ii  ink")
	if test  ${#iink} -le 0
	then
	apt-get install --yes ink
	fi

	}

function test_ink {
	ink_levels=$(ink -p usb)
	zenity --info --text "$ink_levels"
	}

mainMenu

Re: Ink level report .....

Barry Drake-4
On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 21:18 +0000, Mark wrote:

> Looks like you have it sussed but here is a somewhat over engineered
> script I wrote for checking ink levels for a Canon attached :

Nice one!  I've saved that in case I need it.  From what she told me, I
think mtink is going to be all she needs.  I'll fix her up with an icon
to do 'gksudo mtink' and see how that goes.  Thanks.

Regards, Barry.

--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.

Re: Ink level report .....

Chris Wilson-29
Why don't you head on over to Ubuntu Brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ and propose  the inclusion of an 'ink level reported' in future releases of Ubuntu.

Re: Ink level report .....

Tony Pursell
On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 00:15 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Why don't you head on over to Ubuntu Brainstorm
> (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ and propose  the inclusion of an 'ink
> level reported' in future releases of Ubuntu.

If you have an HP printer and the HPLIP toolbox installed, you already
get this - and notifications to nag you about low ink.

Tony

Re: Ink level report .....

Tony Pursell
On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 09:57 +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 00:15 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Why don't you head on over to Ubuntu Brainstorm
> > (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ and propose  the inclusion of an 'ink
> > level reported' in future releases of Ubuntu.
>
> If you have an HP printer and the HPLIP toolbox installed, you already
> get this - and notifications to nag you about low ink.
>
> Tony

And I also see in System > Administration > Printing when I select
Properties for my printer, there is an 'Ink/Toner levels' dialogue.  In
there I get a status message

Printer 'Deskjet-F2100-series' is low on ink.

but CUPS doesn't show which cartridge.  I know it is the colour one. So
perhaps this is all a matter of the printer driver and what the printer
itself is prepared to report. The developers page is

http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/system-config-printer/

Might be worth talking to him about ink level reporting in System >
Administration > Printing.

Tony

Re: Ink level report .....

Barry Drake-4
On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 10:24 +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:
> > If you have an HP printer and the HPLIP toolbox installed, you already
> > get this - and notifications to nag you about low ink.

This needs to be extended to support Epson printers.  It's obviously
possible as mtink seems to read the printer OK.  The printers dialogue
tells me that ink can't be reported for that model.  My Brother DCP 135
C doesn't report, but it has its own LCD display that tells you about
ink levels etc.  I'll make a suggestion on brainstorm.

Thanks, Barry.