Install HP Photosmart 2610 All - in - one

Install HP Photosmart 2610 All - in - one

Betti Ann & Preston Smith-2
I asked this on the Kubuntu group and got no reply. Also i am thinking
of moving to Ubuntu to see how I feel about using Gnome

The frustration factor is getting to me

The Kubuntu 5.10 documentation tells me that the HP Photosmart 2600
Series has support out of the box for both the scanner and printer
segments of the device.

Well - it may have but this poor newby has seen nothing that intuitively
tells me how to install the required support

Can someone point me to a guide in clear English that tells me how to go
about installing the 2610 as a network device on a home LAN on Breezy
5.10?  I am not computer illiterate by any stretch of the imagination
but the techno babble in many of the articles relating to installing
printers is of absolutely no help me because I do not understand it.
Even the printer install wizard is difficult to follow and makes no
mention of installing the scanner portion.

Help please!

Thanks

Preston

Re: Install HP Photosmart 2610 All - in - one

someone-8
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:08:45 -0400, Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:

> I asked this on the Kubuntu group and got no reply. Also i am thinking of
> moving to Ubuntu to see how I feel about using Gnome
>
> The frustration factor is getting to me
>
> The Kubuntu 5.10 documentation tells me that the HP Photosmart 2600 Series
> has support out of the box for both the scanner and printer segments of
> the device.
>
> Well - it may have but this poor newby has seen nothing that intuitively
> tells me how to install the required support

I've only run Breezy off live cd, and IIRC hplip and related files were
present by default- I had to install hplip, hplip-base, hplip-data, hpijs,
and xsane for scanner support, CUPS is surely installed by default (??),
(don't remember but hplip probably installed all hplip* as dependencies)
in Hoary. Next I set the printer's address directly on it's panel
(192.168.0.105); then ran "hp-makeuri 192.168.0.105" (that's not a typo,
though I believe it is a mistake- it's part of hplip-base), which gave me
"hp:/net/Photosmart_2600_series?ip=192.168.0.105" (not to stress the
obvious, but I *did* connect the printer to my network and turn it on
first); next ran "sudo kcontrol" (I'm sure Gnome has something similar),
Peripherals|Printers|Add, selected "other printer type", in the URL box
pasted "hp:/net/Photosmart_2600_series?ip=192.168.0.105". My notes
indicate it's obvious from there, and since I have little faith in my
memory of such things, I'll take it on faith ;-) ...I probably tried to
print and it worked!

BTW, I attempted the instructions on HP web site with no joy, and
the above is the result of years of experience (read blind luck). YMMV,
HTH, HAND

> Can someone point me to a guide in clear English

Ubuntu!

> that tells me how to go
> about installing the 2610 as a network device on a home LAN on Breezy
> 5.10?  I am not computer illiterate by any stretch of the imagination
> but the techno babble in many of the articles relating to installing
> printers is of absolutely no help me because I do not understand it.
> Even the printer install wizard is difficult to follow and makes no
> mention of installing the scanner portion.
>
> Help please!
>
> Thanks
>
> Preston

Re: Install HP Photosmart 2610 All - in - one

chrisccoulson

In KDE3.5 if you are networking to the printer use the "Network printer
(ipp)" option from the kprinter wizard as the "other printer" option
does not work. Then enter the hp uri into the next screen. Then just
follow the wizard to completion.

--
gsmlinux

Re: Install HP Photosmart 2610 All - in - one

chrisccoulson

1. Modify cupsd.conf file on your server: sudo gedit
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

#Port 80
#Port 443
Port 631 (delete #)
#
#Listen 127.0.0.1:631

#BrowseAddress x.y.z.255
#BrowseAddress x.y.255.255
#BrowseAddress x.255.255.255
#BrowseAddress 255.255.255.255
#BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.101 (replace with your i.p. of server)
</Location>

<Location /admin>
#
# You definitely will want to limit access to the administration
functions.
# The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
# is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks. You can change
# the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
#

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.101 (replace with ip server)

#Encryption Required
</Location>

2. Modify clients.conf file on your client: sudo gedit
/etc/cups/client.conf

ServerName 192.168.1.101 (replace with ip server)

3. Restarts cups on server and client side:

#sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

note: do it on both server and client computer

4. Check status on server and client side: lpstat -t

5. Follow procedures on installing printer.ppd

6. edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

7. in your desktop go to system > printing > set printer to local

hope this will help you. GODspeed!

--
arphe_el