Install a printer driver

Bill Stanley
Hi,

I am having problems with getting a Brother MFC-J485DW printer to work
with Linux.  I am using Mint - Rebeca and the Mate desktop.

I deleted the profile for my old printer and then connected the printer
to my computer with a USB cable.  When I turned the printer on a pop-up
window said that "No printer driver for Brother MFC-J485D.  (It is
obvious that there is some communications between the printer and the
computer.) I clicked on the "search" button.
A new pop-up window that gave three choices 1. Select printer from
database  2. Provide PPD file and 3. Search for a printer driver to
download.
When I chose 1.  I was told to use a generic text only driver   I did
but when I used the text only (XED) to print up a test page, nothing
happened.

I deleted this profile and chose search for a printer driver to
download.  Nothing was found.

My question is... "How do I get this printer to work?  I obviously would
like to use as many of the features of the printer as possible.  I hope
it isn't a "Windows only" printer.  If it is, is there any way to make
it work with Linux.

Bill Stanley

Re: Install a printer driver

Peter McD
Am 16.10.18 um 18:20 schrieb Bill:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with getting a Brother MFC-J485DW printer to work
> with Linux.  I am using Mint - Rebeca and the Mate desktop.
>
> I deleted the profile for my old printer and then connected the printer
> to my computer with a USB cable.  When I turned the printer on a pop-up
> window said that "No printer driver for Brother MFC-J485D.  (It is
> obvious that there is some communications between the printer and the
> computer.) I clicked on the "search" button.
> A new pop-up window that gave three choices 1. Select printer from
> database  2. Provide PPD file and 3. Search for a printer driver to
> download.
> When I chose 1.  I was told to use a generic text only driver   I did
> but when I used the text only (XED) to print up a test page, nothing
> happened.
>
> I deleted this profile and chose search for a printer driver to
> download.  Nothing was found.
>
> My question is... "How do I get this printer to work?  I obviously would
> like to use as many of the features of the printer as possible.  I hope
> it isn't a "Windows only" printer.  If it is, is there any way to make
> it work with Linux.

 From my achive, the following might help.

Peter

--------------
From:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511252-HowTo-Brother-MFC-printer-solutions-for-Leap-and-Tumbleweed

The solution: installing libstdc++6-32bit with its dependencies fixed it.

I have a Brother MFC-J625DW printer that I connect to over WiFI. It
normally works perfectly on Ubuntu and Arch with the manufacturer's
Linux drivers. But for the life of me I couldn't get it to work either
on Leap 42.1 or on Tumbleweed. Stranger still, I could print a test page
from the yast2-printers, and I could also print from Wine apps
(notepad), but I couldn't print a test page from system-config-printers
and I also couldn't print front LibreOffice or gedit or any other normal
program. The details in the print queue for the failed job said "filter
failed". The solution: poppler-tools needs to be installed.

On another installation, the documents I tried to print didn't give any
errors, not even in the CUPS error_log. They just simply did not print.
But I finally found an old, out of date Brother printer driver page that
reminds that the drivers are 32-bit, and so on a 64-bit system the
32-bit compatibility libs are necessary. That's what I was missing. The

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 18:22, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with getting a Brother MFC-J485DW printer to work
> with Linux.

If you just Google for

Brother MFC-J485DW driver linux

... you will find that Brother make one available for Linux as a free download.

Re: Install a printer driver

Gene Heskett-2
On Tuesday 16 October 2018 12:20:20 Bill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with getting a Brother MFC-J485DW printer to work
> with Linux.  I am using Mint - Rebeca and the Mate desktop.
>
> I deleted the profile for my old printer and then connected the
> printer to my computer with a USB cable.  When I turned the printer on
> a pop-up window said that "No printer driver for Brother MFC-J485D.
> (It is obvious that there is some communications between the printer
> and the computer.) I clicked on the "search" button.
> A new pop-up window that gave three choices 1. Select printer from
> database  2. Provide PPD file and 3. Search for a printer driver to
> download.
> When I chose 1.  I was told to use a generic text only driver   I did
> but when I used the text only (XED) to print up a test page, nothing
> happened.
>
> I deleted this profile and chose search for a printer driver to
> download.  Nothing was found.
>
> My question is... "How do I get this printer to work?  I obviously
> would like to use as many of the features of the printer as possible.
> I hope it isn't a "Windows only" printer.  If it is, is there any way
> to make it work with Linux.
>
> Bill Stanley

You goto the brother site and download their linux driver and install
them.  They usually work. I have two of their printers here.

-
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Install a printer driver

Chris Roy-Smith
On 17/10/18 03:20, Bill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with getting a Brother MFC-J485DW printer to work
> with Linux.  I am using Mint - Rebeca and the Mate desktop.
>
> I deleted the profile for my old printer and then connected the printer
> to my computer with a USB cable.  When I turned the printer on a pop-up
> window said that "No printer driver for Brother MFC-J485D.  (It is
> obvious that there is some communications between the printer and the
> computer.) I clicked on the "search" button.
> A new pop-up window that gave three choices 1. Select printer from
> database  2. Provide PPD file and 3. Search for a printer driver to
> download.
> When I chose 1.  I was told to use a generic text only driver   I did
> but when I used the text only (XED) to print up a test page, nothing
> happened.
>
> I deleted this profile and chose search for a printer driver to
> download.  Nothing was found.
>
> My question is... "How do I get this printer to work?  I obviously would
> like to use as many of the features of the printer as possible.  I hope
> it isn't a "Windows only" printer.  If it is, is there any way to make
> it work with Linux.
>
> Bill Stanley

try the script mentioned here
https://jimsadventuresinlinux.wordpress.com/2018/04/13/brother-printer-installation-on-linux/
these instructions down load an installer script that downloads and
installs everything, asking only a few basic questions.

Regards, Chris