Instant Karma (was A better flavour?)

ubuntu-users mailing list
Almost as soon as I posted "A better flavour" thread I myself had a bit of
trouble

I have a Compaq laptop that has bare 16.04 on (think 12.04->14.04->16.04) it
had been sidelined because a Ram modual had died and made it run like cold
Treacle, anyway I found a spare 128mb stick (so now 768mb some taken by
display) and did

sudo apt update -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt autoclean -y

shutdown now -r

all went well (a bit slow but...)

then I got cocky

sudo Scripts/rm-kernels

listed a large number of old & very old kernels so I clicked on all of them and
sat back as they were deleted...

untill it got to a few that started 3.x.x.22 thru 3.x.x.28 "Cant be found"

no problemm but

dpkg --list | grep linux-image

still showed them

so I tried rm-kernels again same response

then I did a manual

rm -rf of all the 3.x.x.* kernels

reboot

Wallpaper only no launcher or top panel, left for 20 minutes

could not get a terminal (Ctrl+Shift+T) to let me shutdown, so had to power
down

Reboot - Advanced - Recovery - Resume

All working ;->)

Reboot

back to just wallpaper

Reboot - Advanced - Recover - Resume

Working again

--reinstall desktop & unity

no change on reboot

rinse and repeate

So ok bad Karma, but why

Advanced - Recover - Resume (latest kernel)
works (so everything needed is there?)

and Normal Boot to same Kernel? does not

what "should" I have done?

Probably not what I did do

Re: Instant Karma (was A better flavour?)

Robert Heller
At Mon, 03 Sep 2018 16:49:14 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Almost as soon as I posted "A better flavour" thread I myself had a bit of
> trouble
>
> I have a Compaq laptop that has bare 16.04 on (think 12.04->14.04->16.04) it
> had been sidelined because a Ram modual had died and made it run like cold
> Treacle, anyway I found a spare 128mb stick (so now 768mb some taken by
> display) and did
>
> sudo apt update -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
>
> sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt autoclean -y
>
> shutdown now -r
>
> all went well (a bit slow but...)
>
> then I got cocky
>
> sudo Scripts/rm-kernels
>
> listed a large number of old & very old kernels so I clicked on all of them and
> sat back as they were deleted...
>
> untill it got to a few that started 3.x.x.22 thru 3.x.x.28 "Cant be found"
>
> no problemm but
>
> dpkg --list | grep linux-image
>
> still showed them
>
> so I tried rm-kernels again same response
>
> then I did a manual
>
> rm -rf of all the 3.x.x.* kernels
>
> reboot
>
> Wallpaper only no launcher or top panel, left for 20 minutes
>
> could not get a terminal (Ctrl+Shift+T) to let me shutdown, so had to power
> down
>
> Reboot - Advanced - Recovery - Resume
>
> All working ;->)
>
> Reboot
>
> back to just wallpaper
>
> Reboot - Advanced - Recover - Resume
>
> Working again
>
> --reinstall desktop & unity
>
> no change on reboot
>
> rinse and repeate
>
> So ok bad Karma, but why
>
> Advanced - Recover - Resume (latest kernel)
> works (so everything needed is there?)
>
> and Normal Boot to same Kernel? does not
>
> what "should" I have done?

You probably need to re-build the initramfs and/or rebuild grub.cfg. The
recovery ramdisk is probably good (or at least good enough to get the recovery
menu).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Instant Karma (was A better flavour?)

ubuntu-users mailing list
03 September 2018  at 12:36, Robert Heller wrote:
Re: Instant Karma (was A better fla (at least in part)

>At Mon, 03 Sep 2018 16:49:14 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Almost as soon as I posted "A better flavour" thread I myself had a bit of
>> trouble
>>
>> I have a Compaq laptop that has bare 16.04 on (think 12.04->14.04->16.04) it
>> had been sidelined because a Ram modual had died and made it run like cold
>> Treacle, anyway I found a spare 128mb stick (so now 768mb some taken by
>> display) and did
>>
>> sudo apt update -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
>>
>> sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt autoclean -y
>>
>> shutdown now -r
>>
>> all went well (a bit slow but...)
>>
>> then I got cocky
>>
>> sudo Scripts/rm-kernels
>>
>> listed a large number of old & very old kernels so I clicked on all of them and
>> sat back as they were deleted...
>>
>> untill it got to a few that started 3.x.x.22 thru 3.x.x.28 "Cant be found"
>>
>> no problemm but
>>
>> dpkg --list | grep linux-image
>>
>> still showed them
>>
>> so I tried rm-kernels again same response
>>
>> then I did a manual
>>
>> rm -rf of all the 3.x.x.* kernels
>>
>> reboot
>>
>> Wallpaper only no launcher or top panel, left for 20 minutes
>>
>> could not get a terminal (Ctrl+Shift+T) to let me shutdown, so had to power
>> down
>>
>> Reboot - Advanced - Recovery - Resume
>>
>> All working ;->)
>>
>> Reboot
>>
>> back to just wallpaper
>>
>> Reboot - Advanced - Recover - Resume
>>
>> Working again
>>
>> --reinstall desktop & unity
>>
>> no change on reboot
>>
>> rinse and repeate
>>
>> So ok bad Karma, but why

>> Advanced - Recover - Resume (latest kernel)
>> works (so everything needed is there?)
>>
>> and Normal Boot to same Kernel? does not

>> what "should" I have done?

>You probably need to re-build the initramfs and/or rebuild grub.cfg. The
>recovery ramdisk is probably good (or at least good enough to get the recovery
>menu).

As various kernels had been removed

update-grub has been run (a few times)

>> Probably not what I did do

Re: Instant Karma (was A better flavour?)

Nils Kassube-2
Robert Heller wrote:
> You probably need to re-build the initramfs and/or rebuild grub.cfg.
> The recovery ramdisk is probably good (or at least good enough to get
> the recovery menu).

The commands would be

sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
sudo update-grub

But you still have all the old kernels registered in your package
database when you removed the kernels from /boot. You could list the old
kernels (and headers) with the command

dpkg --get-selections|grep -e linux-image -e linux-headers

and then copy / paste the names of the old packages to the command

sudo apt-get purge LIST_OF_KERNELS_AND_HEADERS

That command will also remove all the obsolete files in /lib/modules
which you didn't remove and it will update the package database.

Nils

03 September 2018  at 19:23, Nils Kassube wrote:
Re: Instant Karma (was A better fla (at least in part)

>The commands would be

>sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
>sudo update-grub

>dpkg --get-selections|grep -e linux-image -e linux-headers

All that was done, but I still have only wallpaper