Intel Boot Agent question

Phil-2
I'm a little embarrassed to have to ask for a solution to this seemingly
simple problem.

I have replaced the SSD in my a Lenevo ThinkPad T420 and since then on
reboot Intel agent displays a menu that contains two items, DVDRam and
IBA GE Slot. If I press F12 during a cold boot than the same menu is
displayed with the addition of the SSD.

I have spent a lot of time on the Internet looking for a solution and I
see that disabling or moving IBA GE Slot down a list features a lot. The
only list that I can find in the BIOS that contains IBA GE is in the
network boot order but I'm unable to change the order of the list. I
cannot find any other boot order list.

A CD or DVD boots first from a cold boot followed by the internal SSD.
No problem there, I just cannot reboot from the SSD.

Phil

Re: Intel Boot Agent question

Liam Proven
On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 04:05, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have spent a lot of time on the Internet looking for a solution and I
> see that disabling or moving IBA GE Slot down a list features a lot. The
> only list that I can find in the BIOS that contains IBA GE is in the
> network boot order but I'm unable to change the order of the list. I
> cannot find any other boot order list.

Ugh. Sounds like UEFI. :-(

Is the firmware on the latest version?

A newer version might give you the option you need...

On 16/5/19 8:12 pm, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 04:05, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have spent a lot of time on the Internet looking for a solution and I
>> see that disabling or moving IBA GE Slot down a list features a lot. The
>> only list that I can find in the BIOS that contains IBA GE is in the
>> network boot order but I'm unable to change the order of the list. I
>> cannot find any other boot order list.
> Ugh. Sounds like UEFI. :-(
>
> Is the firmware on the latest version?
>
> A newer version might give you the option you need...

Thank you Liam for your suggestion. The firmware appears to be the
original version; it looks the same as that shown in the manual.

I suspect that the solution to this problem is not too difficult. I
bought the computer as a surplus government item through an agent who
replaced the original hard drive with an SSD at my request. Rebooting
wasn't a problem, it only appeared after I replace the SSD myself.

I'm prepared to live without the ability to reboot but it is an annoyance.

Phil

Re: Intel Boot Agent question

Colin Law

On Thu, 16 May 2019, 22:08 Phil, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16/5/19 8:12 pm, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 04:05, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have spent a lot of time on the Internet looking for a solution and I
>> see that disabling or moving IBA GE Slot down a list features a lot. The
>> only list that I can find in the BIOS that contains IBA GE is in the
>> network boot order but I'm unable to change the order of the list. I
>> cannot find any other boot order list.
> Ugh. Sounds like UEFI. :-(
>
> Is the firmware on the latest version?
>
> A newer version might give you the option you need...

Thank you Liam for your suggestion. The firmware appears to be the
original version; it looks the same as that shown in the manual.

You need to go to the manufacturer's website and see if there is an update available.

Colin

On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 23:08, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Liam for your suggestion. The firmware appears to be the
> original version; it looks the same as that shown in the manual.

Er, no. :-) The *original* version is not what you need. The *newest*
version is what you want.

As per Colin's advice.

What is the exact model number of your machine? There's usually a
sticker on the bottom.

> I'm prepared to live without the ability to reboot but it is an annoyance.

Install kexec-tools to get around that.