Intel SNA in Raring

Gökçen Eraslan
Hello,

Today, I have tried a Raring daily build and realized that UXA is still
being used as the default acceleration method for
xserver-xorg-video-intel (dh_auto_configure -- --enable-sna --enable-uxa
--with-default-accel=uxa).

Why isn't SNA preferred in alpha Raring? Isn't the alpha period best
time to test and fix SNA bugs?

Regards.

Re: Intel SNA in Raring

Bryce Harrington-5
On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:09:49PM +0100, Gökçen Eraslan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today, I have tried a Raring daily build and realized that UXA is still
> being used as the default acceleration method for
> xserver-xorg-video-intel (dh_auto_configure -- --enable-sna --enable-uxa
> --with-default-accel=uxa).
>
> Why isn't SNA preferred in alpha Raring? Isn't the alpha period best
> time to test and fix SNA bugs?

SNA has been under very active development the past couple years.  We've
been monitoring (and testing) this development, and providing it as an
opt-in option for users who wish to use it.  We evaluated enabling it
last cycle but were not certain about its stability across a wide
breadth of card models.

We likely will try again this cycle.  We are planning on an X.org stack
update rather late in the cycle, and if we include SNA we believe it
will be most stable with that stack; thus the lack of attention we've
given it right now - any testing we do now would have to be redone with
the newer code anyway.

If you want to help, one thing you can do right now is to install the
xorg-edgers PPA, enable SNA, and report any SNA-specific bugs you find
to upstream.

Thanks,
Bryce

Xorg update - Was: Re: Intel SNA in Raring

Scott Kitterman-3
On Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:33:29 AM Bryce Harrington wrote:
> We likely will try again this cycle.  We are planning on an X.org stack
> update rather late in the cycle, and if we include SNA we believe it
> will be most stable with that stack; thus the lack of attention we've
> given it right now - any testing we do now would have to be redone with
> the newer code anyway.

What are we updating at the last minute this time?  Being on the bleeding edge
with mesa 9 (IIRC) last cycle was no fun at all as we got to find all the mesa
9 unique issues in kwin.  What are we in for this cycle?

Scott K

Re: Xorg update - Was: Re: Intel SNA in Raring

Timo Aaltonen-6
On 09.01.2013 04:43, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:33:29 AM Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> We likely will try again this cycle.  We are planning on an X.org stack
>> update rather late in the cycle, and if we include SNA we believe it
>> will be most stable with that stack; thus the lack of attention we've
>> given it right now - any testing we do now would have to be redone with
>> the newer code anyway.
>
> What are we updating at the last minute this time?  Being on the bleeding edge
> with mesa 9 (IIRC) last cycle was no fun at all as we got to find all the mesa
> 9 unique issues in kwin.  What are we in for this cycle?

Mesa 9.1/10.0 (whichever it ends up being called), xserver 1.14 (nothing
dramatic happened there), and the usual driver updates.

"late" might also mean "for alpha2", we haven't decided yet.