Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Steve Langasek-6
Dear developers,

Recent bug reports suggest that the Ubuntu installer for Windows, Wubi, is
not currently in very good shape for a release:

  13.04 installer doesn't create user account
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704

  Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770


Combined with the fact that Wubi has not been updated to work with Windows 8
(bug #1125604), and the focus on mobile client over desktop, the Foundations
team does not expect Wubi to be in a releasable state for 13.04.

I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.

If someone is interested in taking over the maintenance of Wubi so that it
can be released with 13.04 (or if not with 13.04, then with a future
release), I would encourage them to start by looking at the abovementioned
bugs and preparing patches, then talking to the release team.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]                                     [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Stéphane Graber-2
On 04/01/2013 03:59 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> Recent bug reports suggest that the Ubuntu installer for Windows, Wubi, is
> not currently in very good shape for a release:
>
>   13.04 installer doesn't create user account
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704
>
>   Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770
>
>
> Combined with the fact that Wubi has not been updated to work with Windows 8
> (bug #1125604), and the focus on mobile client over desktop, the Foundations
> team does not expect Wubi to be in a releasable state for 13.04.
>
> I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
> immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
> spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
> on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
> 13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.
I think this will save us quite a bit of the usual troubles we have
around release time and the fact that Wubi is nearly unusable on Windows
8 makes it a lot less relevant.

As we discussed, there may be some interest for some of the flavours
targeting people who tend to use older versions of Windows but even
then, current wubi has a bunch of bugs that need fixing first before we
can realistically ship it even for a limited set of flavours.

So anyway, +1.

I'll take care of disabling any remaining wubi builds and the matching
products on the tracker (and remove wubi from the 13.04 manifest).

> If someone is interested in taking over the maintenance of Wubi so that it
> can be released with 13.04 (or if not with 13.04, then with a future
> release), I would encourage them to start by looking at the abovementioned
> bugs and preparing patches, then talking to the release team.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>


--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (919 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Robert Park
In reply to this post by Steve Langasek-6
On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:59:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
> immediately with the upcoming Beta.

If this is the one true thing I read on the internet all day, I will
be very happy.

I think Wubi has been languishing for far too long, and I think it
gives a bad impression to people who want to try Ubuntu but aren't
technical enough to want to overwrite their windows installation.

Additionally, I feel that the "try Ubuntu before you delete windows
forever" use-case is better served by simply booting the liveCD and
using that without doing the installation.

So, yes, I whole-heartedly agree, lets drop Wubi!

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
In reply to this post by Steve Langasek-6
On 1 April 2013 20:59, Steve Langasek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
> immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
> spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
> on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
> 13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.
>

In terms of migration plan, we currently advertise Wubi on ubuntu.com
website [1] leading to [2].

I would propose to recommend people to use dual-boot install (but that
two at the moment is not flawless with windows 8).

But if users still want the "don't change my computer experience"
maybe we should start recommending for those users to try ubuntu in a
Virtual Machine instead?

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/download

[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Rick Spencer-2



On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1 April 2013 20:59, Steve Langasek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
> immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
> spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
> on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
> 13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.
>

In terms of migration plan, we currently advertise Wubi on ubuntu.com
website [1] leading to [2].

I would propose to recommend people to use dual-boot install (but that
two at the moment is not flawless with windows 8).

But if users still want the "don't change my computer experience"
maybe we should start recommending for those users to try ubuntu in a
Virtual Machine instead?
 
I think it should rather recommend trying a live session. They can do this from a DVD or from a USB key.

Cheers, Rick
 

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Stéphane Graber-2
In reply to this post by Stéphane Graber-2
On 04/01/2013 04:08 PM, Stéphane Graber wrote:

> On 04/01/2013 03:59 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> Recent bug reports suggest that the Ubuntu installer for Windows, Wubi, is
>> not currently in very good shape for a release:
>>
>>   13.04 installer doesn't create user account
>>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704
>>
>>   Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO
>>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770
>>
>>
>> Combined with the fact that Wubi has not been updated to work with Windows 8
>> (bug #1125604), and the focus on mobile client over desktop, the Foundations
>> team does not expect Wubi to be in a releasable state for 13.04.
>>
>> I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
>> immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
>> spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
>> on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
>> 13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.
>
> I think this will save us quite a bit of the usual troubles we have
> around release time and the fact that Wubi is nearly unusable on Windows
> 8 makes it a lot less relevant.
>
> As we discussed, there may be some interest for some of the flavours
> targeting people who tend to use older versions of Windows but even
> then, current wubi has a bunch of bugs that need fixing first before we
> can realistically ship it even for a limited set of flavours.
>
> So anyway, +1.
>
> I'll take care of disabling any remaining wubi builds and the matching
> products on the tracker (and remove wubi from the 13.04 manifest).
Done. I have disabled daily builds of Wubi for everything but Ubuntu
12.04, removed any existing build from the QA Tracker and removed Wubi
from the 13.04 manifest.

All the bits are technically still there as we need those for 12.04, so
if someone wants to spend the time to get Wubi back in shape and
convince some of the flavours to keep on shipping it, it'll be easy to
re-enable.

>> If someone is interested in taking over the maintenance of Wubi so that it
>> can be released with 13.04 (or if not with 13.04, then with a future
>> release), I would encourage them to start by looking at the abovementioned
>> bugs and preparing patches, then talking to the release team.
>>
>> Thanks,


--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (919 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

bcbc bcbc
In reply to this post by Steve Langasek-6
It's hard to make an informed decision without knowing the usage stats of Wubi. If it's quite low then I expect there'd be little impact, but if it's popular then it's taking a low-risk installation method away from users who might otherwise not have tried Ubuntu. Does Canonical have any statistics on this?

Re. the bugs. I had a look at "Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO"  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770 and found that the fix is a one-liner configuration file change (in data/isolist.ini).

The fix for "13.04 installer doesn't create user account" https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704 could be to simply remove the disk-image installs from 13.04. This again is a two line removal from the same configuration file.

I've patched and tested both 12.04.2 and 13.04 with these changes to confirm they work.

Re. Windows 8: that may not be solvable right now, but I expect there are still many more BIOS-based computers out there than UEFI. And the regular dual boot for UEFI has many problems as well. Wubi could probably be smarter about checking whether Windows is booting through UEFI and exit gracefully prior to downloading the ISO/diskimage.

Regards,
bcbc


On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:00 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 12:59:35 -0700
From: Steve Langasek <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Dear developers,

Recent bug reports suggest that the Ubuntu installer for Windows, Wubi, is
not currently in very good shape for a release:

  13.04 installer doesn't create user account
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704

  Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770


Combined with the fact that Wubi has not been updated to work with Windows 8
(bug #1125604), and the focus on mobile client over desktop, the Foundations
team does not expect Wubi to be in a releasable state for 13.04.

I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
immediately with the upcoming Beta.  This will save our testers from
spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu's standards of quality.

If someone is interested in taking over the maintenance of Wubi so that it
can be released with 13.04 (or if not with 13.04, then with a future
release), I would encourage them to start by looking at the abovementioned
bugs and preparing patches, then talking to the release team.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]                                     [hidden email]
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/attachments/20130401/b059d08c/attachment-0001.pgp>

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's hard to make an informed decision without knowing the usage stats of
> Wubi. If it's quite low then I expect there'd be little impact, but if it's
> popular then it's taking a low-risk installation method away from users who
> might otherwise not have tried Ubuntu. Does Canonical have any statistics on
> this?
>

The point that it's not low-risk any more. It can cause data-loss on
windows 8 side when it's hibernated.

W.r.t. statistics - we don't have them, as with all open-source
software it's free to distribute and we do not have any central point
to measure install base. And we will not be introducing one either, as
it is against our project. We can guesstimate, but it will be
guesstimates.

> Re. the bugs. I had a look at "Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64
> ISO"  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770 and found that the fix is
> a one-liner configuration file change (in data/isolist.ini).
>
> The fix for "13.04 installer doesn't create user account"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704 could be to simply remove the
> disk-image installs from 13.04. This again is a two line removal from the
> same configuration file.
>
> I've patched and tested both 12.04.2 and 13.04 with these changes to confirm
> they work.
>
> Re. Windows 8: that may not be solvable right now, but I expect there are
> still many more BIOS-based computers out there than UEFI. And the regular
> dual boot for UEFI has many problems as well. Wubi could probably be smarter
> about checking whether Windows is booting through UEFI and exit gracefully
> prior to downloading the ISO/diskimage.
>

Window 8 + Wubi is dangerous regardless of BIOS/UEFI boot.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

bcbc bcbc
I think the point in the original post was that Wubi 13.04 was broken and doesn't work with Windows 8 UEFI, not that there's a risk of data loss.

There's also no evidence that I have seen to indicate that Wubi causes data loss in Windows 8. The Windows boot manager won't give you any choice if you have hibernated Windows, and therefore it's not possible to boot Wubi with normal hibernation. And if "fast-start" is enabled the Windows 8 boot manager also removes this hibernated system session prior to booting Wubi. 
This is more of a problem on a normal dual boot, and even then, unless you force-mount the NTFS partition you shouldn't see any data loss.

You can refer to this bug report for more info: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntfs-3g/+bug/1043149 The only issue shown there is if you enable hybrid-sleep (not switched on by default), and even then there's no data loss - just the partition can't be mounted so Wubi doesn't boot.

So, if we go back to the original point, given that Wubi 13.04 is easily fixable, are your "guesstimates" of usage high or low? Are they based on the downloads of Wubi.exe? Any numbers on that?

Regards,
bcbc

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's hard to make an informed decision without knowing the usage stats of
> Wubi. If it's quite low then I expect there'd be little impact, but if it's
> popular then it's taking a low-risk installation method away from users who
> might otherwise not have tried Ubuntu. Does Canonical have any statistics on
> this?
>

The point that it's not low-risk any more. It can cause data-loss on
windows 8 side when it's hibernated.

W.r.t. statistics - we don't have them, as with all open-source
software it's free to distribute and we do not have any central point
to measure install base. And we will not be introducing one either, as
it is against our project. We can guesstimate, but it will be
guesstimates.

> Re. the bugs. I had a look at "Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64
> ISO"  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770 and found that the fix is
> a one-liner configuration file change (in data/isolist.ini).
>
> The fix for "13.04 installer doesn't create user account"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704 could be to simply remove the
> disk-image installs from 13.04. This again is a two line removal from the
> same configuration file.
>
> I've patched and tested both 12.04.2 and 13.04 with these changes to confirm
> they work.
>
> Re. Windows 8: that may not be solvable right now, but I expect there are
> still many more BIOS-based computers out there than UEFI. And the regular
> dual boot for UEFI has many problems as well. Wubi could probably be smarter
> about checking whether Windows is booting through UEFI and exit gracefully
> prior to downloading the ISO/diskimage.
>

Window 8 + Wubi is dangerous regardless of BIOS/UEFI boot.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Robert Park
In reply to this post by Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 04:09:35PM +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:

> On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's hard to make an informed decision without knowing the usage stats of
> > Wubi. If it's quite low then I expect there'd be little impact, but if it's
> > popular then it's taking a low-risk installation method away from users who
> > might otherwise not have tried Ubuntu. Does Canonical have any statistics on
> > this?
> >
>
> The point that it's not low-risk any more. It can cause data-loss on
> windows 8 side when it's hibernated.

I can't find the original article right now, but I recently read a
gaming blog where some random journalist had attempted to install
Steam inside of a Wubi Ubuntu installation. His readers mercilessly
flamed him as being essentially a total idiot (because everybody "just
knows" that Wubi is *incredibly* terrible), and so he was forced to
try it again without Wubi. Had he not been a journalist, he would have
simply given up on Wubi and written Ubuntu off as an unstable product.

The unfortunate reality is that if Wubi is your first experience with
Ubuntu, you're likely to come to the conclusion that Ubuntu is an
unstable mess, when really it's the fact that Windows is an unstable
base underneath your Ubuntu that is causing the problems (but you
don't know that). Wubi is basically a disaster and is generating a lot
of negative associations with Ubuntu in novice's minds.

Here's an alternate page where "Don't use Wubi" is given as the number
one piece of advice for getting Steam to run on Ubuntu:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3079968

In short, Wubi needs to die a quick and painless death so we can get
on with providing positive experiences to new users of Ubuntu.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Oussama Bounaim



On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Robert Bruce Park <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 04:09:35PM +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's hard to make an informed decision without knowing the usage stats of
> > Wubi. If it's quite low then I expect there'd be little impact, but if it's
> > popular then it's taking a low-risk installation method away from users who
> > might otherwise not have tried Ubuntu. Does Canonical have any statistics on
> > this?
> >
>
> The point that it's not low-risk any more. It can cause data-loss on
> windows 8 side when it's hibernated.

I can't find the original article right now, but I recently read a
gaming blog where some random journalist had attempted to install
Steam inside of a Wubi Ubuntu installation. His readers mercilessly
flamed him as being essentially a total idiot (because everybody "just
knows" that Wubi is *incredibly* terrible), and so he was forced to
try it again without Wubi. Had he not been a journalist, he would have
simply given up on Wubi and written Ubuntu off as an unstable product.

The unfortunate reality is that if Wubi is your first experience with
Ubuntu, you're likely to come to the conclusion that Ubuntu is an
unstable mess, when really it's the fact that Windows is an unstable
base underneath your Ubuntu that is causing the problems (but you
don't know that). Wubi is basically a disaster and is generating a lot
of negative associations with Ubuntu in novice's minds.

Here's an alternate page where "Don't use Wubi" is given as the number
one piece of advice for getting Steam to run on Ubuntu:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3079968

In short, Wubi needs to die a quick and painless death so we can get
on with providing positive experiences to new users of Ubuntu.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

​I agree with the fact that Wubi should die. recently a friend of mine installed Ubuntu inside Windows 7 using Wubi and after a couple of days Ubuntu was no longer usable (it won't even boot)​.



--
My Best Regards,
Oussama


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

bcbc bcbc
In reply to this post by Robert Park
This is an often repeated argument against Wubi, but there are some problems with it.

1. Wubi isn't supposed to compete head-to-head with a normal install. I've seen cases of people that aren't even aware they are using Wubi or what the differences are, and this is definitely an issue. So I raised this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1078959

2. If point #1 is not understood then, yes, I can understand why people would get upset about Wubi. But imagine if every time someone burned a live CD and it failed and then we decided it was a problem and we should get rid of live CDs because it was making Ubuntu look bad. No, I don't believe that argument holds.

3. Wubi does in fact work well. I could forgive a newcomer to Ubuntu thinking "why do a normal install when Wubi works so well". I can hear you laughing, but this is actually stated often[*]. 

Yes there are bugs. Yes people have problems. But these need to be looked at without emotion and used to make a rational decision. Saying "I have a friend who..." or "I couldn't even get it working so..." or "Windows is unstable therefore..." just doesn't add anything of value.

So to answer your main point... the journalist did make a mistake recommending Wubi. I haven't seen anyone in mainstream put forward Wubi as a viable long-term alternative or a production system. There should indeed be warnings.

But we should IMO go further to understand what real positives and real negatives they are, and arrive at a reasoned decision. And I'm fine with that decision either way.

Regards,
bcbc

[*] References
1. Comments in the same article you referenced
4. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1982669 (Wubi opinion/usage survey)


On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Robert Bruce Park <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 04:09:35PM +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's hard to make an informed decision without knowing the usage stats of
> > Wubi. If it's quite low then I expect there'd be little impact, but if it's
> > popular then it's taking a low-risk installation method away from users who
> > might otherwise not have tried Ubuntu. Does Canonical have any statistics on
> > this?
> >
>
> The point that it's not low-risk any more. It can cause data-loss on
> windows 8 side when it's hibernated.

I can't find the original article right now, but I recently read a
gaming blog where some random journalist had attempted to install
Steam inside of a Wubi Ubuntu installation. His readers mercilessly
flamed him as being essentially a total idiot (because everybody "just
knows" that Wubi is *incredibly* terrible), and so he was forced to
try it again without Wubi. Had he not been a journalist, he would have
simply given up on Wubi and written Ubuntu off as an unstable product.

The unfortunate reality is that if Wubi is your first experience with
Ubuntu, you're likely to come to the conclusion that Ubuntu is an
unstable mess, when really it's the fact that Windows is an unstable
base underneath your Ubuntu that is causing the problems (but you
don't know that). Wubi is basically a disaster and is generating a lot
of negative associations with Ubuntu in novice's minds.

Here's an alternate page where "Don't use Wubi" is given as the number
one piece of advice for getting Steam to run on Ubuntu:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3079968

In short, Wubi needs to die a quick and painless death so we can get
on with providing positive experiences to new users of Ubuntu.


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Jeremy Bicha-2
In reply to this post by bcbc bcbc
On 9 April 2013 13:14, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the point in the original post was that Wubi 13.04 was broken and
> doesn't work with Windows 8 UEFI, not that there's a risk of data loss.

Um, not being able to boot Wubi *is* data loss. What would you use to
recover your files in that case?

> 1. Wubi isn't supposed to compete head-to-head with a normal install.

Do you see the big Windows installer button on
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ?

Jeremy

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
In reply to this post by bcbc bcbc
On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Re. the bugs. I had a look at "Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64
> ISO"  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770 and found that the fix is
> a one-liner configuration file change (in data/isolist.ini).
>
> The fix for "13.04 installer doesn't create user account"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704 could be to simply remove the
> disk-image installs from 13.04. This again is a two line removal from the
> same configuration file.
>
> I've patched and tested both 12.04.2 and 13.04 with these changes to confirm
> they work.
>

Thanks a lot for your branches. I have merge all of your fixes, tested
it with window7 and they work correctly.
For 13.04 we have disabled and stopped building disk-images, so those are gone.
And the isolist.ini is correct as per your patches to match reality.

I have pinged Evan, to publish a release and request the wubi.exe
builds for Precise and Raring be signed such that we can release them.
I am not sure how long the delay is but hopefully we will be able to
release wubi for precise & raring soon.

> Re. Windows 8: that may not be solvable right now, but I expect there are
> still many more BIOS-based computers out there than UEFI. And the regular
> dual boot for UEFI has many problems as well. Wubi could probably be smarter
> about checking whether Windows is booting through UEFI and exit gracefully
> prior to downloading the ISO/diskimage.
>

Would you be able to contribute safe-guards (e.g. bail out, disable
hibernation) and or Windows8 UEFI boot integration for wubi?
The first one will prevent people from getting disappointed, while the
later will potentially make wubi fully supperted yet again.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

Evan Dandrea-4
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have pinged Evan, to publish a release and request the wubi.exe
builds for Precise and Raring be signed such that we can release them.
I am not sure how long the delay is but hopefully we will be able to
release wubi for precise & raring soon.


We'll need signed copies, as you point out. Let me know if you want me to file an RT for that.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

bcbc bcbc
In reply to this post by Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
Thanks for merging. I'll take a look at the UEFI issues.

Regards,
bcbc


On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Re. the bugs. I had a look at "Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64
> ISO"  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770 and found that the fix is
> a one-liner configuration file change (in data/isolist.ini).
>
> The fix for "13.04 installer doesn't create user account"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704 could be to simply remove the
> disk-image installs from 13.04. This again is a two line removal from the
> same configuration file.
>
> I've patched and tested both 12.04.2 and 13.04 with these changes to confirm
> they work.
>

Thanks a lot for your branches. I have merge all of your fixes, tested
it with window7 and they work correctly.
For 13.04 we have disabled and stopped building disk-images, so those are gone.
And the isolist.ini is correct as per your patches to match reality.

I have pinged Evan, to publish a release and request the wubi.exe
builds for Precise and Raring be signed such that we can release them.
I am not sure how long the delay is but hopefully we will be able to
release wubi for precise & raring soon.

> Re. Windows 8: that may not be solvable right now, but I expect there are
> still many more BIOS-based computers out there than UEFI. And the regular
> dual boot for UEFI has many problems as well. Wubi could probably be smarter
> about checking whether Windows is booting through UEFI and exit gracefully
> prior to downloading the ISO/diskimage.
>

Would you be able to contribute safe-guards (e.g. bail out, disable
hibernation) and or Windows8 UEFI boot integration for wubi?
The first one will prevent people from getting disappointed, while the
later will potentially make wubi fully supperted yet again.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intention to drop Wubi from 13.04 release

bcbc bcbc
Dmitrijs,

I've provided a patch for "Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI" https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/694242 so that Wubi checks for an EFI boot and exits with an error message "Wubi does not currently support EFI". 

It does this prior to downloading any ISOs and there's no subsequent uninstall required. Getting Wubi to actually work on an EFI system won't be as easy. I'll investigate it further, though.

Regards,
bcbc 

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for merging. I'll take a look at the UEFI issues.

Regards,
bcbc



On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 April 2013 18:01, bcbc bcbc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Re. the bugs. I had a look at "Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64
> ISO"  https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1134770 and found that the fix is
> a one-liner configuration file change (in data/isolist.ini).
>
> The fix for "13.04 installer doesn't create user account"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1155704 could be to simply remove the
> disk-image installs from 13.04. This again is a two line removal from the
> same configuration file.
>
> I've patched and tested both 12.04.2 and 13.04 with these changes to confirm
> they work.
>

Thanks a lot for your branches. I have merge all of your fixes, tested
it with window7 and they work correctly.
For 13.04 we have disabled and stopped building disk-images, so those are gone.
And the isolist.ini is correct as per your patches to match reality.

I have pinged Evan, to publish a release and request the wubi.exe
builds for Precise and Raring be signed such that we can release them.
I am not sure how long the delay is but hopefully we will be able to
release wubi for precise & raring soon.

> Re. Windows 8: that may not be solvable right now, but I expect there are
> still many more BIOS-based computers out there than UEFI. And the regular
> dual boot for UEFI has many problems as well. Wubi could probably be smarter
> about checking whether Windows is booting through UEFI and exit gracefully
> prior to downloading the ISO/diskimage.
>

Would you be able to contribute safe-guards (e.g. bail out, disable
hibernation) and or Windows8 UEFI boot integration for wubi?
The first one will prevent people from getting disappointed, while the
later will potentially make wubi fully supperted yet again.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.



--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel