Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Jacob Baloul
Hi All,
Anyone who has used winXP has run into this at one point or another...
It is the OOBE aka "Out of the box expierience"...
It first helps you setup your basic setings after install, username, internet connection, etc etc...
Then...after you login for the first time a baloon pops up in the corner, insisting that you take the flash animated tour to get familiar with the new features of XP.
If your still wondering what i am talking about and have an XP box accesible somewere the files can be found in:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\tourW.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\tourstart.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\*"

Anyhow, Bottom line is:
I think that this strategy is essential to kindly introduce a new OS to a thirsty user and ensures a safe first landing in the world of Ubuntu.
I'd like to see something similar in Ubuntu & Kubuntu and i am sure others would too...

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE FEEDBACK I GOT ON THIS AT UBUNTUFORUMS:

Please help make this happen...
Jacob

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Matthew East
On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 09:55 -0500, Jacob Baloul wrote:

{snip}

> Anyhow, Bottom line is:
> I think that this strategy is essential to kindly introduce a new OS
> to a thirsty user and ensures a safe first landing in the world of
> Ubuntu.
> I'd like to see something similar in Ubuntu & Kubuntu and i am sure
> others would too...

There are two separate issues here, I think. The first is something that
introduces great features/benefits of the operating system, this is kind
of a marketing tool and shows off the great aspects of Ubuntu. Hopefully
dapper will have something good in this respect, work is underway
already. But I don't know whether Kubuntu will have something like this.

The second thing is something which introduces a user to the system, in
terms of how to make it work, and so on. Hopefully the desktop guide
goes a long way towards doing this: it is available from the Help Icon
on the panel and in the "System" menu. Maybe having it open
automatically after a new install might be a nice idea.

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On vr, 2006-02-10 at 15:02 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> There are two separate issues here, I think. The first is something
> that introduces great features/benefits of the operating system, this
> is kind of a marketing tool and shows off the great aspects of Ubuntu.
> Hopefully dapper will have something good in this respect, work is
> underway

Really? Who is working on that? I've been playing with this thought (and
pygtk/pygtkmozembed to create something like this :)

--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntu.com

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 16:10 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On vr, 2006-02-10 at 15:02 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > There are two separate issues here, I think. The first is something
> > that introduces great features/benefits of the operating system, this
> > is kind of a marketing tool and shows off the great aspects of Ubuntu.
> > Hopefully dapper will have something good in this respect, work is
> > underway
>
> Really? Who is working on that? I've been playing with this thought (and
> pygtk/pygtkmozembed to create something like this :)

It is still very early days as yet, but the implementation is being done
professionally.

gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Quim Gil-2
UbuntuExpress, which will be the default installer in Dapper if I'm
right, introduces you to the new desktop with images & text during the
15 minutes approx while copying files.

It's not exactly what you say, but in principle it's also a tour
throught the main features of the desktop.

Maybe the content of this initial Tour could be packaged also for being
available, as Matthew suggests, from the Help Icon and the "System"
menu. It could be another icon in the LiveCD desktop.

In fact this tour could be available as well somewhere visible in the
website. So people with no clue about Ubuntu / Free Software could
visualise what are they going to get if they download the LiveCD and so on.

A convincing and informative visual tour could be useful then before,
during and after the installation.  :)

En/na Matthew East ha escrit:

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Colin Watson
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:32:53PM +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> UbuntuExpress, which will be the default installer in Dapper if I'm
> right,

(As I've repeatedly said, it won't be called Ubuntu Express. And we'll
see how far it gets - but we certainly hope that it will be the
default.)

> introduces you to the new desktop with images & text during the
> 15 minutes approx while copying files.

That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
I'll probably just leave it blank. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Henrik Nilsen Omma-2
Colin Watson wrote:
> That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
> Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
> I'll probably just leave it blank. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.

If the flash version does become ready in time it would also be cool to
have it on the Windows portion of the Live CD (if there is space, and if
a suitable free player can be found) and certainly on TheOpenCD.

- Henrik

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Jeroen van Splunder
Op vr, 10-02-2006 te 16:10 +0000, schreef Colin Watson:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:32:53PM +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> > introduces you to the new desktop with images & text during the
> > 15 minutes approx while copying files.
>
> That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
> Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
> I'll probably just leave it blank. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.

Remember that Flash is a closed format and there are no good free
software players.

--
Jeroen van Splunder <[hidden email]>

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 17:29 +0100, Jeroen van Splunder wrote:

> Op vr, 10-02-2006 te 16:10 +0000, schreef Colin Watson:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:32:53PM +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> > > introduces you to the new desktop with images & text during the
> > > 15 minutes approx while copying files.
> >
> > That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
> > Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
> > I'll probably just leave it blank. See
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.
> >
> Remember that Flash is a closed format and there are no good free
> software players.
Don't worry, you can be sure that this has been fully investigated and
the technical people are satisfied.

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Jeroen van Splunder wrote:
> Op vr, 10-02-2006 te 16:10 +0000, schreef Colin Watson:
> > That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
> > Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
> > I'll probably just leave it blank. See
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.
>
> Remember that Flash is a closed format and there are no good free
> software players.

Since we'll be writing the content ourselves, we can ensure that it's
playable with free software. I'm told that it's possible to work in a
reasonable subset (Flash 3, I think?) that has that property.

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Jonathan Jesse-2
On Friday 10 February 2006 12:21, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Jeroen van Splunder wrote:
> > Op vr, 10-02-2006 te 16:10 +0000, schreef Colin Watson:
> > > That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
> > > Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
> > > I'll probably just leave it blank. See
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.
> >
> > Remember that Flash is a closed format and there are no good free
> > software players.
>
> Since we'll be writing the content ourselves, we can ensure that it's
> playable with free software. I'm told that it's possible to work in a
> reasonable subset (Flash 3, I think?) that has that property.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

Just don't forget Kubuntu when designing the intro?  Or do you have a separte
person/group working on a Kubuntu version of this?

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Matt Zimmerman-2
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:22:26AM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> On Friday 10 February 2006 12:21, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Since we'll be writing the content ourselves, we can ensure that it's
> > playable with free software. I'm told that it's possible to work in a
> > reasonable subset (Flash 3, I think?) that has that property.
>

> Just don't forget Kubuntu when designing the intro?  Or do you have a separte
> person/group working on a Kubuntu version of this?

Time is very short, and we'll be pressed to get a single demo produced, much
less one for every derivative.

--
 - mdz

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Shawn McMahon
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Jeroen van Splunder said:

> Remember that Flash is a closed format and there are no good free
> software players.

There's no *GOOD* non-free ones on Linux, either.

--
   Shawn McMahon    | Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I am sick
   EIV Consulting   | of compiling Gentoo".

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:10:03PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:32:53PM +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> > UbuntuExpress, which will be the default installer in Dapper if I'm
> > right,
>
> (As I've repeatedly said, it won't be called Ubuntu Express. And we'll
> see how far it gets - but we certainly hope that it will be the
> default.)
>
> > introduces you to the new desktop with images & text during the
> > 15 minutes approx while copying files.
>
> That will be changed substantially from what's in the Guadalinex code.
> Mark wants it to be a Flash animation; if we can't get that, though,
> I'll probably just leave it blank. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress/GnomeUserInterface for a mockup.

And https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GreatFeaturesOfUbuntu for the content being
developed.

--
 - mdz

On vr, 2006-02-10 at 16:32 +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> UbuntuExpress, which will be the default installer in Dapper if I'm
> right, introduces you to the new desktop with images & text during the
> 15 minutes approx while copying files.

That is during the install, but it would be nice to have something after
installing too, which may simply live in the accessories menu.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:51:23AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:22:26AM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > On Friday 10 February 2006 12:21, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Since we'll be writing the content ourselves, we can ensure that it's
> > > playable with free software. I'm told that it's possible to work in a
> > > reasonable subset (Flash 3, I think?) that has that property.
> >
> > Just don't forget Kubuntu when designing the intro?  Or do you have a separte
> > person/group working on a Kubuntu version of this?
>
> Time is very short, and we'll be pressed to get a single demo produced, much
> less one for every derivative.

(So I suspect we may arrange for the Kubuntu frontend just to display a
simple progress bar, otherwise it'll be pretty confusing.)

Re: Interactive Tour on first login to Ubuntu...

Christian Bjälevik
fre 2006-02-10 klockan 17:29 +0100 skrev Jeroen van Splunder:
> Remember that Flash is a closed format and there are no good free
> software players.

Since I can play tetris with SVG using Firefox, why not play with that
instead? :-)
--
Christian Bjälevik <[hidden email]>