Internet is dying - or is it..?

Volker Wysk
Hi!

I'ts stupid. When you want things to work, they're broken. When you want them
to be broken, they work! Well, mostly.

I've purchased a new network cable, and am running ping on both of my machines
(desktop and laptop), for some 14 hours now. Both are connected by cable, with
the desktop (with broken internet connection before) using the new cable, and
the laptop using the old one.

I've written a little program which executes a command and prefixes each line
of its output with a timestamp. The command is "ping -i20 193.99.144.80". The
only events are:

2017-10-24 13:47:03  64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: icmp_seq=1724 ttl=246
time=29.1 ms
2017-10-24 13:47:43  From 192.168.178.1 icmp_seq=1726 Destination Net
Unreachable
2017-10-24 13:48:03  From 192.168.178.1 icmp_seq=1727 Destination Net
Unreachable
2017-10-24 13:49:04  64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: icmp_seq=1730 ttl=246
time=570 ms
(on both machines)

and

2017-10-24 05:32:44  64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: icmp_seq=238 ttl=246
time=29.6 ms
2017-10-24 05:33:04  ping: sendmsg: Das Netzwerk ist nicht erreichbar
2017-10-24 07:27:49  ping: sendmsg: Das Netzwerk ist nicht erreichbar
2017-10-24 07:28:10  64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: icmp_seq=241 ttl=246
time=30.0 ms
(on the laptop only, old cable)

"Das Netzwerk ist nicht erreichbar" means "the network isn't available", or
"isn't reachable".

I don't know what happened at 5:33-7:28 on the laptop. The internet failures
which I've had before, all resulted in the message "Destination Host
Unreachable". Notice, i'ts "Host", not "Net" like above.

Now I'm about to let it run for another night, and wait for errors.

It's stupid...

Bye
Volker

Re: Internet is dying - or is it..?

Volker Wysk
Hi

My internet outages are back again. All that I've done is, to remove the laptop from the router, in the morning. I haven't touched my desktop's internet connection, which is over the old cable, like it was to begin with.

Again I get "Destination Host Unreachable" messages from ping.

To me, this is a hint, that the router is the thing that is broken. Do you agree?

Bye
Volker

Re: Internet is dying - or is it..?

Colin Law
On 25 October 2017 at 12:33, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My internet outages are back again. All that I've done is, to remove the laptop from the router, in the morning. I haven't touched my desktop's internet connection, which is over the old cable, like it was to begin with.
>
> Again I get "Destination Host Unreachable" messages from ping.
>
> To me, this is a hint, that the router is the thing that is broken. Do you agree?

Try the other ethernet cable with it plugged into the port on the
router that the laptop was plugged into. If it still fails then at
least you have ruled out the cable and the socket on the router.  The
fact that the laptop ran without issue makes it more likely it is the
PC, cable or socket.

Colin

Xen

Re: Internet is dying - or is it..?

Xen
Colin Law schreef op 25-10-2017 15:07:
> On 25 October 2017 at 12:33, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My internet outages are back again. All that I've done is, to remove
>> the laptop from the router, in the morning. I haven't touched my
>> desktop's internet connection, which is over the old cable, like it
>> was to begin with.

I missed that message but if the desktop connection behaves differently
as soon as the laptop is connected that is indeed a sign that the router
is at fault.

I mean generally I do not think computers and laptops fail.

Router issues are much more prevalent than onboard LAN issues.

Re: Internet is dying - or is it..?

Volker Wysk
Am Donnerstag, 26. Oktober 2017, 09:04:42 CEST schrieb Xen:

> Colin Law schreef op 25-10-2017 15:07:
> > On 25 October 2017 at 12:33, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> My internet outages are back again. All that I've done is, to remove
> >> the laptop from the router, in the morning. I haven't touched my
> >> desktop's internet connection, which is over the old cable, like it
> >> was to begin with.
>
> I missed that message but if the desktop connection behaves differently
> as soon as the laptop is connected that is indeed a sign that the router
> is at fault.

That's what I've thought. But then I've disconnected my laptop, and
connected only the desktop, with the new cable. That was some
seven hours ago. I've got no outages since. It looks like a broken cable.

> I mean generally I do not think computers and laptops fail.
>
> Router issues are much more prevalent than onboard LAN issues.

I had a broken cable before, once.

Bye
Volker

Re: Internet is dying - or is it..?

Colin Law
On 26 October 2017 at 08:04, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Colin Law schreef op 25-10-2017 15:07:
>>
>> On 25 October 2017 at 12:33, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My internet outages are back again. All that I've done is, to remove the
>>> laptop from the router, in the morning. I haven't touched my desktop's
>>> internet connection, which is over the old cable, like it was to begin with.
>

> I missed that message but if the desktop connection behaves differently as
> soon as the laptop is connected that is indeed a sign that the router is at
> fault.

If that is repeatable then I would agree. Consider though the
possibility of a dodgy connection in the desktop ethernet cable. The
act of unplugging the other cable, could easily affect the dodgy
connection in that one. You are right about PCs being extremely
reliable, but so are routers. The symptoms still suggest an
intermittent connection to me, unless it is found that having both PCs
plugged in consistently affects the fault.

> I mean generally I do not think computers and laptops fail.

Neither do routers. I can only remember one instance of a router
failure, and that was caused by a nearby lightning strike.

Colin

Xen

Re: Internet is dying - or is it..?

Xen
Colin Law schreef op 26-10-2017 9:30:

> Neither do routers. I can only remember one instance of a router
> failure, and that was caused by a nearby lightning strike.

I have had one TechniColor modem from UPC which has died.

Likely after 10 years of service but I do not know if it was replaced
(by me) in the meantime, I think it was. I think I got a new modem
somewhere halfway.

So it is more likely that it died after 5 years of service but I am not
sure anymore.

I also have a TP-Link TL1043-ND that has been acting weird but I
couldn't be sure because of that modem.

My DIR-655 would sometimes completely lock up requiring a factory reset.

That was especially sour as I was not at home at that time but still
wanted to use my home servers.

However the TP-Link is switching just fine and so is the DIR-655 so only
the TechniColor has seen evident switch breakdown.