Is http://security/ubuntu.com down?

Jim Byrnes-4
Hadn't used my notebook running Mint 18 for a while so there were a ton
of updates. Most of them finished fine. Then I started getting errors
like
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/thunderbird/thunderbird-local-en-us_52.7.0+build1-Oubuntu0.16.04_all.deb.
404 not found. Seems most of them have pool in the url. Probably have a
dozen such errors.

Thanks,  Jim

Re: Is http://security/ubuntu.com down?

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 21:53, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hadn't used my notebook running Mint 18 for a while so there were a ton
> of updates. Most of them finished fine. Then I started getting errors
> like
> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/thunderbird/thunderbird-local-en-us_52.7.0+build1-Oubuntu0.16.04_all.deb.
> 404 not found. Seems most of them have pool in the url. Probably have a
> dozen such errors.

Odd. Try changing mirror servers -- under Software Sources in control
panel there should be such an option. Or, try Synaptic, and use that
one. When you get to the list of mirrors, there should be a "select
best server" option.

In this screenshot it's under "install from":

https://i.stack.imgur.com/PCBnF.png

Re: Is http://security/ubuntu.com down?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 03.07.2018, 22:45 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 21:53, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hadn't used my notebook running Mint 18 for a while so there were a
> > ton
> > of updates. Most of them finished fine. Then I started getting
> > errors
> > like
> > http://security.ubuntu.com/
> > 404 not found
> Odd. Try changing mirror servers

security.ubuntu.com has no mirrors (for obvious reasons) ...

i'd try an "apt update" to make sure the Packages files are up to date

ciao
        oli

On 07/03/2018 04:01 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 03.07.2018, 22:45 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:
>> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 21:53, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hadn't used my notebook running Mint 18 for a while so there were a
>>> ton
>>> of updates. Most of them finished fine. Then I started getting
>>> errors
>>> like
>>> http://security.ubuntu.com/
>>> 404 not found
>> Odd. Try changing mirror servers
>
> security.ubuntu.com has no mirrors (for obvious reasons) ...
>
> i'd try an "apt update" to make sure the Packages files are up to date
>
> ciao
> oli

Thanks, oli

That worked, they are downloading now.

Curious  why is it http instead of https in the url?

Regards,  Jim