Is there any advantage in my upgrading Ubuntu further?

Is there any advantage in my upgrading Ubuntu further?

Donald Parsons-2
I use the following:

Ubuntu 15.10 with:

Dell Inspiron 660 desktop, with Intel core 13-2120 CPU @ 3.30 GHz x4, 64 bit, and 5.7 GiB memory

The CD has 978.2 GB.

Local-host connected to a HP-LaserJet-400-color-M451nw printer

I don't have any errors or other problems but I thought i  would ask anyway!
Thanks

Donald Parsons MD, D.Sc

CURRENT COMPUTER.odt (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Is there any advantage in my upgrading Ubuntu further?

Paul Smith-2
On Fri, 2017-01-27 at 10:06 -0500, Donald Parsons wrote:
> I don't have any errors or other problems but I thought i  would ask
> anyway!

Ubuntu 15.10 is no longer supported as of last July (2016), which means
you are no longer receiving any security updates.  Non-LTS releases get
updates for only 9 months from release.  If your system is not connected
to the internet then perhaps this is OK with you.  If it is connected to
the internet, it should not be OK with you...

If you just want a system that works without a lot of feature churn I
suggest you bump yourself up one release cycle to Ubuntu 16.04, which is
a Long Term Support release and will have security fixes provided for 5
years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Re: Is there any advantage in my upgrading Ubuntu further?

Bret Busby-2
On 27/01/2017, Donald Parsons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use the following:
>
> Ubuntu 15.10 with:
>
> Dell Inspiron 660 desktop, with Intel core 13-2120 CPU @ 3.30 GHz x4, 64
> bit, and 5.7 GiB memory
>
> The CD has 978.2 GB.
>
> Local-host connected to a HP-LaserJet-400-color-M451nw printer
>

> I don't have any errors or other problems but I thought i  would ask
> anyway!
> Thanks
>
> Donald Parsons MD, D.Sc

Hello.

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 with an i3 CPU, 16GB of RAM (I had the RAM
upgraded to the maximum possible), and, I think, a 1TB HDD. I think it
has an nVIDIA graphics thing.

I am running UbuntuMATE 16.04 on that and my other computers, and, it
seems to work okay, and, it has the GUI that I prefer.

As has been otherwise said in this thread, your Ubuntu 15.10 is
apparently no longer supported in terms of security upgrades, other
than other software patches, and that, like using MS Win XP now, is
dangerous.

It is not just a matter of whether a computer is connected to the
Internet, but, also, if you do not have all of your removable media
slots, sealed, to prevent malware entering through removable media, I
suggest that you should maintain an updated system, through the use of
the latest LTS version (in the case of Ubuntu Linux, it is currently
16.04, then, every two years after, so the next one due, is 18.04, I
believe), or, the latest cutting edge release, which would currently
be 16.10, then, each 6 months after, with the next being 17.04, I
believe.

Apart from security fixes and bug fixes, maintaining an updated
system, generally means hat the user will have the best available
version of the available software.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale