Quantcast

KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi folks,

Since we missed by a whisker getting updated PIM (kontact, kmail,
akregator, kgpg etc..) into Zesty for release day, and we believe it
is important that our users have access to this significant update,
packages are now available for testers in the Kubuntu backports
landing ppa. Read the details on the website:

http://kubuntu.org/news/kde-pim-update-for-zesty-available-for-testers/

I've posted this news on Kubuntu Forums, and Twitter (my own account).
Feel free to spread the word!

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Martin van Es
Hi,

I've tried the upgrade but fail to understand the dependancy circle
I'm encountering.
Disclaimer:I'm not a packaging expert!

aptitude suggests to remove 7 packages, of which knotes is one. This
is because knotes has both version 16.04.3 and 16.12.3 of kdepim-doc
in the breaks and replaces dependancies. Like I said, I'm not an
expert, but it seems strange for knotes 16.12.3 to have a break
dependancy on kdepim-doc 16.12.3?

A little more research reveals that kdepim-doc 16.12.3 is a
transitional package and can be removed. So that would explain the
problems, but fact is, that is not the suggested solution?

In some sort of same way kdepim-runtime breaks kdepimkio-plugins
16.04.3 but here the solution isn't so obvious other than removing
kdepimkio-plugins.

Another circle:
libkf5messagecomposer5 depends on kf5-messagelib-data and resolving
this leads to a circle, unless I remove libkf5messagecomposer5
completely. The same holds for libkf5messagecore5, libkf5messagelist5,
libkfmessageviewer5 and libkf5mailcommon5. They are all 16.04.3
versions so I assume it's safe to remove them?

I've canceled the upgrade for now.

Best regards,
Martin

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Since we missed by a whisker getting updated PIM (kontact, kmail,
> akregator, kgpg etc..) into Zesty for release day, and we believe it
> is important that our users have access to this significant update,
> packages are now available for testers in the Kubuntu backports
> landing ppa. Read the details on the website:
>
> http://kubuntu.org/news/kde-pim-update-for-zesty-available-for-testers/
>
> I've posted this news on Kubuntu Forums, and Twitter (my own account).
> Feel free to spread the word!
>
> Valorie
>
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez

If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator

Re: KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Rik Mills-2
Thank you for the feedback.

As per the instructions on the website, could you please try with:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or

sudo apt full-upgrade

The output I would expect, including intended package removals, is shown
in the paste below.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/24425524/

However, on your aptitude output.

On 21/04/17 08:44, Martin van Es wrote:

> aptitude suggests to remove 7 packages, of which knotes is one.This
> is because knotes has both version 16.04.3 and 16.12.3 of kdepim-doc
> in the breaks and replaces dependancies. Like I said, I'm not an
> expert, but it seems strange for knotes 16.12.3 to have a break
> dependancy on kdepim-doc 16.12.3?

It is just a breaks/replaces on any version as we want to get rid of
that transitional package. Hence, yes the 16.12.3 one is superfluous,
but does no harm.

Removing knotes is not something I see.

> In some sort of same way kdepim-runtime breaks kdepimkio-plugins
> 16.04.3 but here the solution isn't so obvious other than removing
> kdepimkio-plugins.

kdepimlibs-kio-plugins is meant to be removed

> Another circle:
> libkf5messagecomposer5 depends on kf5-messagelib-data and resolving
> this leads to a circle, unless I remove libkf5messagecomposer5
> completely. The same holds for libkf5messagecore5, libkf5messagelist5,
> libkfmessageviewer5 and libkf5mailcommon5. They are all 16.04.3
> versions so I assume it's safe to remove them?

Those libs again are meant to be removed and replaced with renamed ones.

Re: KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Martin van Es
I tried dist-upgrade when I saw the "broken" state in aptitude but
can't exactly remember the initial solution, but remember being
daunted by the REMOVED list (before inquiring this list).
This is what I get now:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 kdepim-doc kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs-kio-plugins libkf5mailcommon5
libkf5messagecomposer5 libkf5messagecore5 libkf5messagelist5
libkf5messageviewer5
 kio-ldap kio-sieve kio-smtp libkf5akonadicalendar5abi1
libkf5akonadicontact-data libkf5akonadimime-data
libkf5akonadisearch-bin libkf5akonadisearch-data
 libkf5akonadisearch-plugins libkf5akonadisearchcore5
libkf5akonadisearchxapian5 libkf5incidenceeditor5abi1
libkf5kaddressbookimportexport5 libkf5libkleo5abi1
 libkf5mailcommon5abi1 libkf5messagecomposer5abi1
libkf5messagecore5abi1 libkf5messagelist5abi1
libkf5messageviewer-plugins libkf5messageviewer5abi1
libkf5mimetreeparser5
 libkf5pimcommon5abi1 libkf5webengineviewer5abi1 libkgantt2
libkgantt2-l10n libqgpgme7 mbox-importer pim-data-exporter
pim-sieve-editor
 accountwizard akonadi-backend-mysql akonadi-server akregator curl
distro-info-data firefox firefox-locale-en kaddressbook
kde-config-mailtransport kdepim-addons kdepim-runtime
 kdepim-themeeditors kf5-kdepim-apps-libs-data kf5-messagelib-data
kgpg kleopatra kmail knotes kontact korganizer ktnef libcurl3
libcurl3-gnutls libfreetype6 libfreetype6:i386
 libkf5akonadiagentbase5 libkf5akonadicontact5 libkf5akonadicore-bin
libkf5akonadicore5 libkf5akonadimime5 libkf5akonadinotes5
libkf5akonadiprivate5 libkf5akonadisearchdebug5
 libkf5akonadisearchpim5 libkf5akonadiwidgets5 libkf5alarmcalendar5
libkf5calendarcore5 libkf5calendarsupport-data libkf5calendarsupport5
libkf5calendarutils5
 libkf5contacts-data libkf5contacts5 libkf5eventviews-data
libkf5eventviews5 libkf5followupreminder5 libkf5gapi-data
libkf5gapicalendar5 libkf5gapicontacts5 libkf5gapicore5
 libkf5gapidrive5 libkf5gapitasks5 libkf5grantleetheme-plugins
libkf5grantleetheme5 libkf5gravatar5 libkf5holidays-data
libkf5holidays5 libkf5identitymanagement5abi1
 libkf5imap5 libkf5incidenceeditor-bin libkf5kaddressbookgrantlee5
libkf5kdepimdbusinterfaces5 libkf5kmanagesieve5
libkf5kontactinterface-data libkf5kontactinterface5
 libkf5ksieve-data libkf5ksieve5 libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5ldap5
libkf5libkdepim-data libkf5libkdepim-plugins libkf5libkdepim5
libkf5mailcommon-plugins libkf5mailimporter5
 libkf5mailtransport-data libkf5mailtransport5 libkf5mbox5 libkf5mime5
libkf5pimcommon-plugins libkf5pimtextedit5abi1 libkf5sendlater5
libkf5syndication5 libkf5templateparser5
 libkf5tnef5 libkolab1 libnss-resolve libpam-systemd libsystemd0
libsystemd0:i386 libudev1 libudev1:i386 qml-module-org-kde-kholidays
systemd systemd-sysv udev
95 upgraded, 29 newly installed, 8 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 79.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 5,590 kB of additional disk space will be used.

But I'm not sure this is because I solved all broken packages in
aptitude by removing the blocking packages by hand or because
dist-upgrade does a better job than the aptitude solver?

Anyway, I guess it's safe to proceed now?

Best regards,
Martin

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the feedback.
>
> As per the instructions on the website, could you please try with:
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> or
>
> sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> The output I would expect, including intended package removals, is shown
> in the paste below.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/24425524/
>
> However, on your aptitude output.
>
> On 21/04/17 08:44, Martin van Es wrote:
>
>> aptitude suggests to remove 7 packages, of which knotes is one.This
>> is because knotes has both version 16.04.3 and 16.12.3 of kdepim-doc
>> in the breaks and replaces dependancies. Like I said, I'm not an
>> expert, but it seems strange for knotes 16.12.3 to have a break
>> dependancy on kdepim-doc 16.12.3?
>
> It is just a breaks/replaces on any version as we want to get rid of
> that transitional package. Hence, yes the 16.12.3 one is superfluous,
> but does no harm.
>
> Removing knotes is not something I see.
>
>> In some sort of same way kdepim-runtime breaks kdepimkio-plugins
>> 16.04.3 but here the solution isn't so obvious other than removing
>> kdepimkio-plugins.
>
> kdepimlibs-kio-plugins is meant to be removed
>
>> Another circle:
>> libkf5messagecomposer5 depends on kf5-messagelib-data and resolving
>> this leads to a circle, unless I remove libkf5messagecomposer5
>> completely. The same holds for libkf5messagecore5, libkf5messagelist5,
>> libkfmessageviewer5 and libkf5mailcommon5. They are all 16.04.3
>> versions so I assume it's safe to remove them?
>
> Those libs again are meant to be removed and replaced with renamed ones.

If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator

Re: KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Rik Mills-2
Good. Yes, those packages *should* be removed.

As you can see, they are being replaced by new packages of the same name
but with 'abi1'.  Technical reason for that is that KDE removed some
function from those libraries, so they are now renamed so things build
and depend on the new version, and don't break trying to use the missing
functions in the old ones.

On 21/04/17 10:03, Martin van Es wrote:

> [...]
>> that transitional package. Hence, yes the 16.12.3 one is superfluous,
>> but does no harm.
>>
>> Removing knotes is not something I see.
>>
>>> In some sort of same way kdepim-runtime breaks kdepimkio-plugins
>>> 16.04.3 but here the solution isn't so obvious other than removing
>>> kdepimkio-plugins.
>>
>> kdepimlibs-kio-plugins is meant to be removed
>>
>>> Another circle:
>>> libkf5messagecomposer5 depends on kf5-messagelib-data and resolving
>>> this leads to a circle, unless I remove libkf5messagecomposer5
>>> completely. The same holds for libkf5messagecore5, libkf5messagelist5,
>>> libkfmessageviewer5 and libkf5mailcommon5. They are all 16.04.3
>>> versions so I assume it's safe to remove them?
>>
>> Those libs again are meant to be removed and replaced with renamed ones.

Re: KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Also posted to: https://phabricator.kde.org/T5840#90170

I would like to suggest a slight change in plan for shipping these
updates based on 2 usage cases:

* Case 1 - A user or organisation who wants to update to PIM 16.12.3,
who is happy to add the backports ppa, and is happy to receive further
updates/backports of other applications (Plasma, apps, FW. digikam,
krita) though the normal backports ppa.

* Case 2 - A user or organisation who wants in the majority to use the
default Zesty, but is missing the update to PIM 16.12.3 and would like
to add just this.

Case 1 is obviously served by adding the normal backports ppa and
leaving that enabled.

Case 2 could be served initially by the normal backports ppa, as long as
the user is instructed to and remembers to disable the ppa after updating.

However, they would:

(a) not get any bugfixes to 16.12.3 PIM should we find the need to push
those (security updates etc), and;

(b) in the case of someone installing Zesty afresh in a few months or
weeks time, when we may have pushed additional packages to backports, it
would be difficult for such a user to just get the PIM update they want
and nothing else.

Therefore to serve Case 2 I would suggest that we make a separate ppa
(say backports-pim) for zesty and copy just PIM to that, in addition to
having it in the normal backports ppa as well.

On 21/04/17 05:29, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Since we missed by a whisker getting updated PIM (kontact, kmail,
> akregator, kgpg etc..) into Zesty for release day, and we believe it
> is important that our users have access to this significant update,
> packages are now available for testers in the Kubuntu backports
> landing ppa. Read the details on the website:
>
> http://kubuntu.org/news/kde-pim-update-for-zesty-available-for-testers/
>
> I've posted this news on Kubuntu Forums, and Twitter (my own account).
> Feel free to spread the word!
>
> Valorie

Re: KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

José Manuel Santamaría Lema
+1 to create a kdepim specific PPA for the use case 2