KDE vs Gnome

mike williams-13
Is it possible to have both and if so,where can i get KDE since I already have Gnome.

Re: KDE vs Gnome

albi@scii.nl
mike williams wrote:

> Is it possible to have both

yes

> and if so,where can i get KDE since I
> already have Gnome.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

of course you can also use synaptic if you like

Re: KDE vs Gnome

Stegozor-2
On 8/26/06, mike williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to have both and if so,where can i get KDE since I already
> have Gnome.

It is possible, I have Gnome, KDE 2.5 and IceWM (light window manager
for old computers). Just launch synaptic and look for kde. Once it is
installed you can choose the window manager you want to use when
you're logging in.

But before you proceed, wait for further replies as I don't know
whether having several window managers installed have some side
effects (I'm a newbie :). I didn't remark any issue so far, but
prudence is a virtue, isn't it?

Re: KDE vs Gnome

chrisccoulson

You can get KDE (along with several packages for it) by installing the
Kubuntu metapackage. The package is called kubuntu-desktop, to install
it via a command line run
Code:
--------------------
    sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

Re: KDE vs Gnome

Markus Schönhaber-5
mike williams wrote:
> Is it possible to have both and if so,where can i get KDE since I already
> have Gnome.

What exactly do you mean by "get KDE"? Aside from installing the complete KDE
environment, as others have already pointed out, you could also just install
the KDE-apps you're interested in. I, for example, use KMail and k3b in a
Gnome environment.

Regards
  mks