KMAIL

c. marlow
hello new here to the group ^_^

Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and stable and trustworthy email client?

I am using TBIRD right now, just kind of tired of it, been using it for a couple years now, windows and NIX. I like how I can archive my folders before closing instead of having to manually copy a .Thunderbird file to back everything up

Thanks!

~ CHRISTOPHER~

Re: KMAIL

Steve Riley
On 2014-03-27 at 19:00, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and stable and trustworthy email client?

You'll likely receive strong opinions for "yes" and "no." Personally, I love it; it's been rock solid for me for several releases now. I run my own SMTP/IMAP server on my own domain. I don't use Gmail; this might be one differentiator between the lovers and the haters.

> I am using TBIRD right now, just kind of tired of it,

I could never return to Thunderbird after immersing myself in KMail. KMail's highly configurable user interface is my favorite feature.

...Steve (Kubuntu Forums admin)

Re: KMAIL

c. marlow

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 08:14:06 P Steve Riley wrote:

> On 2014-03-27 at 19:00, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and

> > stable and trustworthy email client?

> You'll likely receive strong opinions for "yes" and "no." Personally, I love

> it; it's been rock solid for me for several releases now. I run my own

> SMTP/IMAP server on my own domain. I don't use Gmail; this might be one

> differentiator between the lovers and the haters.

> > I am using TBIRD right now, just kind of tired of it,

> I could never return to Thunderbird after immersing myself in KMail. KMail's

> highly configurable user interface is my favorite feature.

> ...Steve (Kubuntu Forums admin)

Hi Steve,

Me too, I run my own domain for email... The whole threaded thing is confusing at first because mine is like

P.STEVE RILEY ( grey bar with triangle)

click the triangle then theres your reply it groups them by sender. So all your replies would go under P STEVE RILEY group.. Slowly getting to use to it but that might come in handy for the forums in stuff since I like it LIVE instead of condensed.

Thanks! cant wait for more replies!

Christopher

Re: KMAIL

Doug McGarrett

On 03/27/2014 11:28 PM, c. marlow wrote:

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 08:14:06 P Steve Riley wrote:

> On 2014-03-27 at 19:00, c. marlow [hidden email] wrote:

> > Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and

> > stable and trustworthy email client?

/snip/

Way back when SuSE was still German, and I ran 10.5, I think, I was
using Kmail--until suddenly I found about one in fifteen emails
arriving in some Asian font, and it could not be converted back to
Latin letters; in other words, the email was lost. Once in a while it was
important, so I had to abandon Kmail.  I guess they must have
fixed it by now, but as the saying goes, "Once bitten. . . ." I have used
Thunderbird ever since.

--doug

Re: KMAIL

O. Sinclair
On 28/03/2014 02:00, c. marlow wrote:

> hello new here to the group ^_^
>
> Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and
> stable and trustworthy email client?
>
> I am using TBIRD right now, just kind of tired of it, been using it for
> a couple years now, windows and NIX. I like how I can archive my folders
> before closing instead of having to manually copy a .Thunderbird file to
> back everything up

I have been using it "since forever" meaning I survived the changeover
to akonadi-based accounts and so on.

currently I am on 14.04 beta2 that includes KDE beta 14.3 and if I were
you I would have the patience to wait for final 14.04 that will include
KDE 14.3

This will give you the new searchengine Baloo from start, you will not
have to go through any migration and I believe that to be a bonus.

I do have some issues that I suspect relate to my having done the
migration, for example filters are borked at the moment. For now I live
with them and then I will make a fresh install once Trusty Tahr is released.

The new searchengine seems to work way better than Nepomuk ever did btw.

Note also that HTML formatting in composing email is still very
rudimental IMHO

all the best,
Sinclair

Re: KMAIL

Billie Walsh
On 03/27/2014 07:00 PM, c. marlow wrote:
hello new here to the group ^_^

Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and stable and trustworthy email client?

I am using TBIRD right now, just kind of tired of it, been using it for a couple years now, windows and NIX. I like how I can archive my folders before closing instead of having to manually copy a .Thunderbird file to back everything up

Thanks!

~ CHRISTOPHER~
[hidden email]

As they used to say back in the old days, "Different strokes for different folks." I've been a Thunderbird user since the first stable release. I think it version 24 something on my computer now. It works for me. When I first dabbled in Linux I looked at Kmail, which I'm sure has changed a lot since then, and it didn't work for me. I didn't like it.

From what I see on various lists either you love Kmail or you hate it. I see few people on the lists that are ambivalent about it.

My suggestion, give it a try. You have it right there so you can dabble with it while still having T-Bird in case you don't like it.

--

I may be crazy, but crazy is better than stupid.

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Re: KMAIL

Pastor JW-3

On 03/27/14 17:00, c. marlow wrote:
hello new here to the group ^_^

Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and stable and trustworthy email client?

I had to leave Kmail as they removed its ability to save passwords.  Kmail was very stable and usable til then. Kwallet which they tried to tell me to use with Kmail is terrible and would continually crash my computers which are meant to run 24/7.  Our church needs a way to get our mail off of a service unattended and Kmail which served so long became unusable with its new inability to save the passwords.

Re: KMAIL

c. marlow

On Friday, March 28, 2014 04:33:28 A Billie Walsh wrote:

[...]

From what I see on various lists either you love Kmail or you hate it. I see few people on the lists that are ambivalent about it.

My suggestion, give it a try. You have it right there so you can dabble with it while still having T-Bird in case you don't like it.

--

I may be crazy, but crazy is better than stupid.

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Hi Billy,

I do like how I CAN adjust the fonts to my liking, as in I made the inbox font bigger to where the subject line is a bit bigger to read. I am a young man, but being farsided size 9 fonts are hard for me to see.

Christopher

Re: KMAIL

c. marlow

On Friday, March 28, 2014 07:37:27 A Rev. Olson wrote:

On 03/27/14 17:00, c. marlow wrote:

hello new here to the group ^_^

Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and stable and trustworthy email client?

I had to leave Kmail as they removed its ability to save passwords.  Kmail was very stable and usable til then. Kwallet which they tried to tell me to use with Kmail is terrible and would continually crash my computers which are meant to run 24/7.  Our church needs a way to get our mail off of a service unattended and Kmail which served so long became unusable with its new inability to save the passwords.

Hello Reverend,

That is very odd, when I first put in my account infomation it only asked for the password once to download my email and it has not asked me again on send or recieve. Wow you guys run the church on Kubuntu full time? very cool. I have never seen or talked to anyone that runs their whole org. with Linux. Still a windows world or MAC-N-OVERPRICED.... unfortantly.

I take it your church domain has a very small mailbox so you have to leave Kubuntu up to constantly download the email for the church?

Christopher

Re: KMAIL

David Fletcher-5
On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 07:37 -0700, Rev. Olson wrote:
> I had to leave Kmail as they removed its ability to save passwords.
> Kmail was very stable and usable til then. Kwallet which they tried to
> tell me to use with Kmail is terrible and would continually crash my
> computers which are meant to run 24/7.  Our church needs a way to get
> our mail off of a service unattended and Kmail which served so long
> became unusable with its new inability to save the passwords.

Sounds like another job for a small low power server.

Mine directly receives email to my domain via SMTP with postfix
providing the server, but I also run fetchmail with a couple of cron
jobs to download from yahoo and that ms mail service whatever it's
called. Some of that goes through procmail for filtering, then gets
passed on to postfix where everything goes into the proper mail boxes
controlled by the alias database.

Somebody on a list said one day that getmail4 should now be used instead
of fetchmail.

This would of course involve expenditure for the new equipment, but save
electricity in the long run, plus give you a bog standard mail server
that can be accessed using any old imap client including android phones.

Dave

Re: KMAIL

c. marlow
On Friday, March 28, 2014 03:44:22 P David Fletcher wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 07:37 -0700, Rev. Olson wrote:
> > I had to leave Kmail as they removed its ability to save passwords.
> > Kmail was very stable and usable til then. Kwallet which they tried to
> > tell me to use with Kmail is terrible and would continually crash my
> > computers which are meant to run 24/7.  Our church needs a way to get
> > our mail off of a service unattended and Kmail which served so long
> > became unusable with its new inability to save the passwords.
>
> Sounds like another job for a small low power server.
>
> Mine directly receives email to my domain via SMTP with postfix
> providing the server, but I also run fetchmail with a couple of cron
> jobs to download from yahoo and that ms mail service whatever it's
> called. Some of that goes through procmail for filtering, then gets
> passed on to postfix where everything goes into the proper mail boxes
> controlled by the alias database.
>
> Somebody on a list said one day that getmail4 should now be used instead
> of fetchmail.
>
> This would of course involve expenditure for the new equipment, but save
> electricity in the long run, plus give you a bog standard mail server
> that can be accessed using any old imap client including android phones.
>
> Dave

Hi dave,

you mean Outlook.com is now the rebranded Hotmail

But instead of using CRON how come you dont just leave KMAIL running if you
leave your pc on 24/7? I dont, at night mine goes into stanby and with me
being on Sat. Dish I disconnect kubuntu I dont need any runaway data useage
while im not on the pc. Shoot, I pay enough as is for it lol.

Christopher

Re: KMAIL

David Fletcher-5
On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 10:57 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
> On Friday, March 28, 2014 03:44:22 P David Fletcher wrote:

> Hi dave,
>
> you mean Outlook.com is now the rebranded Hotmail
Don't care what it's called. Must check that it still responds to the
password that fetchmail has.

> But instead of using CRON how come you dont just leave KMAIL running if you
> leave your pc on 24/7? I dont, at night mine goes into stanby and with me
> being on Sat. Dish I disconnect kubuntu I dont need any runaway data useage
> while im not on the pc. Shoot, I pay enough as is for it lol.
You're missing the point. It's a tiny low power machine running Ubuntu
Server. There's no kmail, no graphical desktop, no monitor, no keyboard.
It's a headless server that you can access from anywhere you can get an
Internet connection.

Dave

Re: KMAIL

Bruce Marshall
On 03/27/2014 08:00 PM, c. marlow wrote:
hello new here to the group ^_^

Question, I am looking for some reviews on KMAIL... Is it a good and stable and trustworthy email client?

I am using TBIRD right now, just kind of tired of it, been using it for a couple years now, windows and NIX. I like how I can archive my folders before closing instead of having to manually copy a .Thunderbird file to back everything up

Thanks!

~ CHRISTOPHER~
[hidden email]

Speaking as one who used KMAIL for 8 years and loved it,  and watched it be festooned with complexity (akonadi, etc), and who just gave up on it last month and switched to T-bird....      I would stay where you are.

Too many problems with KMAIL as it is....  and in fact, when I shut it down for good and started using T-bird,  the RESOURCES behind the scenes were STILL handing my email over to Kmail even though I had set all of the "shut down the resource when Kmail shuts down"...   And with T-bird I have totally gotten rid of akonadi completely, which must free up a lot of cpu, memory and disk space right there.

I wouldn't go back to Kmail on a bet.....

--
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.  - - Life's 50 Lessons

Re: KMAIL

David Fletcher-5
On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 14:18 -0400, lists wrote:
> Speaking as one who used KMAIL for 8 years and loved it,  and watched
> it be festooned with complexity (akonadi, etc), and who just gave up
> on it last month and switched to T-bird....      I would stay where
> you are.

I also used to use kmail and thought very highly of it.

Then they screwed around with KDE so my last two actions with KDE were
to transfer all my email to maildir/IMAP on the home server I'd just
built, then export all my contacts.

After installing Ubuntu with gnome, I imported my contacts into
Evolution and that for me works just as well as kmail ever did.

Then "they" screwed around with Ubuntu, so right now I'm running Mint on
this netbook, and will migrate my desktop when the next LTS Mint comes
out.

Dave

Re: KMAIL

c. marlow

On Friday, March 28, 2014 02:18:16 P lists wrote:

[...]

GEEZE LOUISE!

Just checked the taskmanager ( sys mom) says I have 10 akondi processes running right now

-- Christopher

On Friday, March 28, 2014 06:53:22 P David Fletcher wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 14:18 -0400, lists wrote:
> > Speaking as one who used KMAIL for 8 years and loved it,  and watched
> > it be festooned with complexity (akonadi, etc), and who just gave up
> > on it last month and switched to T-bird....      I would stay where
> > you are.
>
> I also used to use kmail and thought very highly of it.
>
> Then they screwed around with KDE so my last two actions with KDE were
> to transfer all my email to maildir/IMAP on the home server I'd just
> built, then export all my contacts.
>
> After installing Ubuntu with gnome, I imported my contacts into
> Evolution and that for me works just as well as kmail ever did.
>
> Then "they" screwed around with Ubuntu, so right now I'm running Mint on
> this netbook, and will migrate my desktop when the next LTS Mint comes
> out.
>
> Dave

You know dave, I havent used GNOME in ages.... Last time I used gnome was
10.04 where you had the bar at the top   APPLICATIONS      PLACES     SETTINGS
kinda miss that its NOT the same to me with that one I cant think of its name
thats suppose to mimic the CLASSIC  gnome 2. I dont think I have ever tried
gnome 3... Just LDXE ( loved it) and  xfce but mostly KDE / XFCE.

-- Christopher

Re: KMAIL

Bruce Marshall
On 03/28/2014 02:55 PM, c. marlow wrote:

> I wouldn't go back to Kmail on a bet.....

> GEEZE LOUISE!
>
> Just checked the taskmanager ( sys mom) says I have 10 akondi
> processes running right now

After renaming akonadiserver and akonadictl,    I have zero processes.

--
"No civilized person ever goes to bed the same day he gets up."

Re: KMAIL

Bruce Marshall
On 03/28/2014 03:02 PM, c. marlow wrote:
 I dont think I have ever tried
gnome 3... Just LDXE ( loved it) and  xfce but mostly KDE / XFCE.

I used xfce for a long time and really liked it.  Then Kmail would no longer run with it and I switched to KDE4.

Now that I'm on T-bird, I'm thinking of trying XFCE again.

--
"Time is what we want most, but alas, what we use worst." - William Penn

Re: KMAIL

Accessys@smart.net

akonadi can be a real process hog,.  I finally had to lock it out it was
using so much processor time and I didn't use it so wasn't worth the
energy to try to fix.

Bob

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, lists wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:25:04 -0400
> From: lists <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: KMAIL
>
> On 03/28/2014 02:55 PM, c. marlow wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't go back to Kmail on a bet.....

>> GEEZE LOUISE!
>>
>> Just checked the taskmanager ( sys mom) says I have 10 akondi processes
>> running right now
>>

> After renaming akonadiserver and akonadictl,    I have zero processes.
>

> --
> "No civilized person ever goes to bed the same day he gets up."

Re: KMAIL

Accessys@smart.net

I like XFCE also but doesn't want to update smoothly so don't run it as
much as KDE.