KUbuntu

Christer Wickman

Hello KUbuntu.

I would like to ask a question. I bought a laptop, there is one thing I don't like with. I rather would use KUbuntu instead of Windows 10. Can one install KUbuntu and remove Windows 10? I like KUbuntu instead of Windows.

Yours
Christer Wickman

Skickat från OPPO Mail

Re: KUbuntu

Nils Kassube-2
Christer Wickman wrote:
> I would like to ask a question. I bought a laptop, there is one thing
> I don't like with. I rather would use KUbuntu instead of Windows 10.
> Can one install KUbuntu and remove Windows 10? I like KUbuntu instead
> of Windows.

You could download the Kubuntu image and create live media (DVD or USB
stick) from the downloaded image. Then you can boot from it an test if
it works with your machine. If it works, you can install Kubuntu and
either keep Windows and make a dual boot setup or you could install
Kubuntu only. That's an option in the setup program. But before you
start the installation, don't forget to backup any data you want to
keep.

Nils

Re: KUbuntu

Volker Wysk
Hi there!

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2018, 07:59:43 CEST schrieb Christer Wickman:
> I would like to ask a question. I bought a laptop, there is one thing I don't like with. I rather would use KUbuntu instead of Windows 10. Can one install KUbuntu and remove Windows 10? I like KUbuntu instead of Windows.

That's not hard at all - except that I don't know much about UEFI.

Just download the Kubuntu image and burn it to a DVD or copy it to an USB stick. Then boot that. You might need to change the boot order in the BIOS, if it doesn't boot your new installation medium. You'll be guided through the installation. At one step, it asks about which device to install it on. Chose "Guided, use whole disk and encrypt" (or something like that).

If your laptop has UEFI, you might need to turn that off in the BIOS.

You really should encrypt your system, all the more if it's a laptop. It might get stolen, and you don't want sensitive data going to the wrong hand.

Good luck,
Volker

Re: KUbuntu

Aaron Honeycutt-2
You don't need to disable UEFI as the installer can handle making the partitions for it just fine.