Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Rod Lovett
Hi guys,
          I am a simple fix guy, and replacing the /dev/cd and /dev/dvd
both with /dev/scd0 sure worked for me, and seems logical given what the
cd/dvd calls itself (ie scd0) mounted in (K)ubuntu Hardy. And It is the
same in Ibex KDE 4.01 as well.
It sure fixed both Kaffeine and Xine which also gave the encryption error.

Surely I am not a unique case out there, there must have been many with
the same problem.
No jerky replay either, it works  great.
Incidentally kscd would not play either until I went into the
configuration and confirmed the /dev/scd0 it had detected and then it
was fine too playing cd's.
So thanx again Douglas for that vital piece of information, for me the
case seems closed and proven from 3 packages now.
Surely thee times proves it.
Cheers
Rod

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Bugzilla from art.alexion@verizon.net
Rod Lovett wrote:

>           I am a simple fix guy, and replacing the /dev/cd and /dev/dvd
> both with /dev/scd0 sure worked for me, and seems logical given what the
> cd/dvd calls itself (ie scd0) mounted in (K)ubuntu Hardy. And It is the
> same in Ibex KDE 4.01 as well.
> It sure fixed both Kaffeine and Xine which also gave the encryption error.

Rod, It's not really a fix because it wouldn't fix the problem for those
with multiple optical drives.  The solution involving the udev rules is
more elegant, and probably involves fewer steps, i.e. simpler, and yet
more effective.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

signature.asc (386 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Knapp
In reply to this post by Rod Lovett
On 9/3/08, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>           I am a simple fix guy, and replacing the /dev/cd and /dev/dvd
> both with /dev/scd0 sure worked for me, and seems logical given what the
> cd/dvd calls itself (ie scd0) mounted in (K)ubuntu Hardy. And It is the
> same in Ibex KDE 4.01 as well.
> It sure fixed both Kaffeine and Xine which also gave the encryption error.
>
> Surely I am not a unique case out there, there must have been many with
> the same problem.
> No jerky replay either, it works  great.
> Incidentally kscd would not play either until I went into the
> configuration and confirmed the /dev/scd0 it had detected and then it
> was fine too playing cd's.
> So thanx again Douglas for that vital piece of information, for me the
> case seems closed and proven from 3 packages now.
> Surely thee times proves it.
> Cheers
> Rod

Sorry to say this but Art Alexion is correct. The best thing to do is
leave all those packages the way they were at first and just remove
(rename it to something else with the word backup is better) the file
called
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
Then reboot your computer.
All should now be working. It also will prevent any future problems
and will make ALL the software work.

The only bad side of this is that you should undo my first patch. The
patch will still work though as long as the drive does not move from
scd0 which it could if you add a new drive or upgrade your system.
--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Bugzilla from art.alexion@verizon.net
On Wednesday 03 September 2008 8:32:57 am Knapp wrote:
> Sorry to say this but Art Alexion is correct.

you are sorry that I am correct?  :-D

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

signature.asc (316 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by Rod Lovett
Rod Lovett wrote:

> Hi guys,
>           I am a simple fix guy, and replacing the /dev/cd and /dev/dvd
> both with /dev/scd0 sure worked for me, and seems logical given what the
> cd/dvd calls itself (ie scd0) mounted in (K)ubuntu Hardy. And It is the
> same in Ibex KDE 4.01 as well.

The problem with doing it this way rather than keeping /dev/cd and /dev/dvd
and fixing the udev links, is what happens _next_ time a kernel change
changes the physical name of the device - kaffeine breaks again, but this
time it's harder for the rest of us to debug, because you no longer have a
stock configuration.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Knapp
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from art.alexion@verizon.net
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Art Alexion <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2008 8:32:57 am Knapp wrote:
>> Sorry to say this but Art Alexion is correct.
>
> you are sorry that I am correct?  :-D
>
No sorry to say it. :-) (because it means more work for him)



--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Jerry Lapham
In reply to this post by Knapp
On Wednesday 03 September 2008 8:32:57 am Knapp wrote:

> Sorry to say this but Art Alexion is correct. The best thing to do is
> leave all those packages the way they were at first and just remove
> (rename it to something else with the word backup is better) the file
> called
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
> Then reboot your computer.
> All should now be working. It also will prevent any future problems
> and will make ALL the software work.
>
> The only bad side of this is that you should undo my first patch. The
> patch will still work though as long as the drive does not move from
> scd0 which it could if you add a new drive or upgrade your system.

I've tried all these and nothing works here.  Kubuntu 8.04 was originally
installed from a newly formatted partition. My new .rules file is the same as
the one I renamed ".backup".  It doesn't matter whether I have "/dev/cd"
and "/dev/dvd" or "/dev/scd0" in the Kaffien settings, I still get the
following error:

This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to install
libdvdcss by running from a console:
sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh. In some countries it is illegal
to install the decryption software without permission from the video
copyright holder.

When I run sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh, I get:

--17:18:39--  
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.5-1_i386.deb
           => `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb'
Resolving www.dtek.chalmers.se... 129.16.30.198
Connecting to www.dtek.chalmers.se|129.16.30.198|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 25,178 (25K) [text/plain]

100%[==================================================================================================>]
25,178        61.98K/s

17:18:40 (61.82 KB/s) - `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb' saved [25178/25178]

(Reading database ... 126266 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libdvdcss2 1.2.5-1 (using /tmp/libdvdcss.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdvdcss2 ...
Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.5-1) ...
--17:18:39--  
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.5-1_i386.deb
           => `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb'
Resolving www.dtek.chalmers.se... 129.16.30.198
Connecting to www.dtek.chalmers.se|129.16.30.198|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 25,178 (25K) [text/plain]

100%[==================================================================================================>]
25,178        61.98K/s

17:18:40 (61.82 KB/s) - `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb' saved [25178/25178]

(Reading database ... 126266 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libdvdcss2 1.2.5-1 (using /tmp/libdvdcss.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdvdcss2 ...
Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.5-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

...but it still doesn't run dvds.  A search doesn't find libdvdcss either.

I don't have any problems playing dvds in Mandriva 2008.1 so it can't be the
drive.

        -Jerry
--
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
[hidden email]
=============================================
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society of America recently started an
advertising campaign with the slogan "MS: It's not a software company".
Seasoned IT professionals will have no trouble telling the two MS's apart.  
One is a debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that renders the
sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. The other is a disease.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Derek Broughton-2
Jerry Lapham wrote:

> I've tried all these and nothing works here.  Kubuntu 8.04 was originally
> installed from a newly formatted partition. My new .rules file is the same
> as
> the one I renamed ".backup".  It doesn't matter whether I have "/dev/cd"
> and "/dev/dvd" or "/dev/scd0" in the Kaffien settings, I still get the
> following error:
>
> This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to
> install libdvdcss by running from a console:

And in your case, it's almost certainly the encryption, not a missing device
link.  

Add the following file:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "hardy heron"
## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
#deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free

Update your packages, using whichever package manager you use, and install
libdvdcss2
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Jerry Lapham
On Thursday 04 September 2008 9:33:30 am Derek Broughton wrote:

> Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > I've tried all these and nothing works here.  Kubuntu 8.04 was originally
> > installed from a newly formatted partition. My new .rules file is the
> > same as
> > the one I renamed ".backup".  It doesn't matter whether I have "/dev/cd"
> > and "/dev/dvd" or "/dev/scd0" in the Kaffien settings, I still get the
> > following error:
> >
> > This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to
> > install libdvdcss by running from a console:
>
> And in your case, it's almost certainly the encryption, not a missing
> device link.
>
> Add the following file:
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "hardy heron"
> ## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
> #deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
>
> Update your packages, using whichever package manager you use, and install
> libdvdcss2
> --
> derek

I keep getting:

16:04:47 (43.60 KB/s) - `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb' saved [25178/25178]

(Reading database ... 127730 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libdvdcss2 1.2.5-1 (using /tmp/libdvdcss.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdvdcss2 ...
Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.5-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place


What do those last two lines mean?  Are they the problem.  I think I've
installed/updated  libdvdcss2 but I can't find it with a search.

        -Jerry
--
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
[hidden email]
=============================================
Walk to Emmaus: Fueling station for a spirit-filled church

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

William Hamra
Jerry Lapham wrote:

> On Thursday 04 September 2008 9:33:30 am Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Jerry Lapham wrote:
>>> I've tried all these and nothing works here.  Kubuntu 8.04 was originally
>>> installed from a newly formatted partition. My new .rules file is the
>>> same as
>>> the one I renamed ".backup".  It doesn't matter whether I have "/dev/cd"
>>> and "/dev/dvd" or "/dev/scd0" in the Kaffien settings, I still get the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to
>>> install libdvdcss by running from a console:
>> And in your case, it's almost certainly the encryption, not a missing
>> device link.
>>
>> Add the following file:
>> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
>> ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "hardy heron"
>> ## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
>> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
>> #deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
>>
>> Update your packages, using whichever package manager you use, and install
>> libdvdcss2
>> --
>> derek
>
> I keep getting:
>
> 16:04:47 (43.60 KB/s) - `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb' saved [25178/25178]
>
> (Reading database ... 127730 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace libdvdcss2 1.2.5-1 (using /tmp/libdvdcss.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libdvdcss2 ...
> Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.5-1) ...
>
> Processing triggers for libc6 ...
> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
>
>
> What do those last two lines mean?  Are they the problem.  I think I've
> installed/updated  libdvdcss2 but I can't find it with a search.
>
> -Jerry
no, the last 2 lines are normal. and are usually the last 2 lines when
installing many other packages.
so i will assume that libdvdcss2 is now installed

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

w_hamra1987.vcf (180 bytes) Download Attachment
signature.asc (260 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Jerry Lapham
On Thursday 04 September 2008 5:13:07 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 September 2008 9:33:30 am Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> Jerry Lapham wrote:
> >>> I've tried all these and nothing works here.  Kubuntu 8.04 was
> >>> originally installed from a newly formatted partition. My new .rules
> >>> file is the same as
> >>> the one I renamed ".backup".  It doesn't matter whether I have
> >>> "/dev/cd" and "/dev/dvd" or "/dev/scd0" in the Kaffien settings, I
> >>> still get the following error:
> >>>
> >>> This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to
> >>> install libdvdcss by running from a console:
> >>
> >> And in your case, it's almost certainly the encryption, not a missing
> >> device link.
> >>
> >> Add the following file:
> >> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> >> ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "hardy heron"
> >> ## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
> >> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
> >> #deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
> >>
> >> Update your packages, using whichever package manager you use, and
> >> install libdvdcss2
> >> --
> >> derek
> >
> > I keep getting:
> >
> > 16:04:47 (43.60 KB/s) - `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb' saved [25178/25178]
> >
> > (Reading database ... 127730 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Preparing to replace libdvdcss2 1.2.5-1 (using /tmp/libdvdcss.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement libdvdcss2 ...
> > Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.5-1) ...
> >
> > Processing triggers for libc6 ...
> > ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> >
> >
> > What do those last two lines mean?  Are they the problem.  I think I've
> > installed/updated  libdvdcss2 but I can't find it with a search.
> >
> > -Jerry
>
> no, the last 2 lines are normal. and are usually the last 2 lines when
> installing many other packages.
> so i will assume that libdvdcss2 is now installed

Is that /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.4?  That's all I can find.

The weird thing is my laptop, also running Kubuntu 8.04, can play the same DVD
with Kaffeine and there is no libdvdcss* anywhere on the HD.

        -Jerry
--
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
[hidden email]
=============================================
Walk to Emmaus: Fueling station for a spirit-filled church
"I have my own jet," Tom leared.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Ric Moore

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 22:09 -0400, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2008 5:13:07 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> > no, the last 2 lines are normal. and are usually the last 2 lines when
> > installing many other packages.
> > so i will assume that libdvdcss2 is now installed
>
> Is that /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.4?  That's all I can find.
>
> The weird thing is my laptop, also running Kubuntu 8.04, can play the same DVD
> with Kaffeine and there is no libdvdcss* anywhere on the HD.

Open up a terminal window, su root and then type 'updatedb'
then type 'locate libdvd'  ...which should bring you all instances of
libdvd* If that don't find it, it ain't there. :) Ric

--
----------------------------------------------------
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Jerry Lapham
On Friday 05 September 2008 12:02:56 am Ric Moore wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 22:09 -0400, Jerry Lapham wrote:

> > On Thursday 04 September 2008 5:13:07 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> > > no, the last 2 lines are normal. and are usually the last 2 lines when
> > > installing many other packages.
> > > so i will assume that libdvdcss2 is now installed
> >
> > Is that /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.4?  That's all I can find.
> >
> > The weird thing is my laptop, also running Kubuntu 8.04, can play the
> > same DVD with Kaffeine and there is no libdvdcss* anywhere on the HD.
>
> Open up a terminal window, su root and then type 'updatedb'
> then type 'locate libdvd'  ...which should bring you all instances of
> libdvd* If that don't find it, it ain't there. :) Ric

On the desktop I get:

jerry@mylinuxbox:~$ locate libdvd
/home/jerry/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/libdvdcss.so.2.0.4.desktop
/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2
/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.4
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2/README
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2/copyright
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libdvdcss2.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libdvdcss2.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libdvdcss2.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libdvdcss2.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libdvdcss2.shlibs

On the laptop, I get nothing.

        -Jerry
--
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
[hidden email]
=============================================
"...San Francisco, where you take a chance on being turned to salt if you look
back when you are leaving."  - Dick Boland

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by William Hamra
Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> Jerry Lapham wrote:
>>
>> Processing triggers for libc6 ...
>> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
>>
>>
>> What do those last two lines mean?  Are they the problem.  I think I've
>> installed/updated  libdvdcss2 but I can't find it with a search.

"aptitude show libdvdcss2" would show it as installed.

> no, the last 2 lines are normal. and are usually the last 2 lines when
> installing many other packages.

FYI:
libc6 is one of the most fundamental libraries on your system.  More
important than huge sections of the kernel.  Once upon a time, it was
possible to run an apt upgrade and have libc6 get partially installed, and
leave your system in a completely unusable state.  Particularly, I remember
situations where both libc6 and libc6-i686 were to be updated (libc6-i686
has 686-optimized versions of some parts of libc6) and libc6-i686 would be
updated while libc6 was in its original state.  Recovery was traumatic.  I
took to removing libc6-i686 before doing any upgrade, and reinstalling it
after.

So now, whenever a library is updated that has certain dependencies on
libc6, you'll see these messages - it's just ensuring that the updates to
the library loading configuration get done at safe point.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Jerry Lapham
In reply to this post by Derek Broughton-2
On Thursday 04 September 2008 9:33:30 am Derek Broughton wrote:

> Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > I've tried all these and nothing works here.  Kubuntu 8.04 was originally
> > installed from a newly formatted partition. My new .rules file is the
> > same as
> > the one I renamed ".backup".  It doesn't matter whether I have "/dev/cd"
> > and "/dev/dvd" or "/dev/scd0" in the Kaffien settings, I still get the
> > following error:
> >
> > This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to
> > install libdvdcss by running from a console:
>
> And in your case, it's almost certainly the encryption, not a missing
> device link.

Actually, it was neither.  I received an email today with a .wmv file as an
attachment.  When I tried to open the .wmv file with Kaffeine, I got a
message that some codecs were missing and did I want to install them.  I
said "OK" and it did.  Now not only can I run the .wmv video but the DVD
video also works.  The laptop, which could run the DVD video before can also
play the .wmv video.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

        -Jerry
--
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
[hidden email]
=============================================
"This must be Kansas," said Tom flatly.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users