Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Rod Lovett
Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
Cheers
Rod

P.S.

This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.

FYI there is no such thing as never in a free world and this was but an experiment ly, and merely exhibited the confusion and false trails this scd0 issue has caused users out there. GUI is the future for most users, and as they say in Debian land
 "if you break it you get to keep both halves"
ie caveat emptor, a learning experience.
An open mind is like a parachute, it can save one.
A closed mind is like a closed parachute---can be disastrous.
Best
Rod

008/9/1 Derek Broughton [hidden email]:
>> Sure, but then you wouldn't actually run kaffeine as root - this seems to
>> be part of the issue.
>
> I did not realize that is what he was doing. No, Kaffiene should never
> be run as root.

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Knapp
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from
> dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and
> survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
> Cheers
> Rod

Nothing like having the list jump down your throat. I had it happen to
me because I happen to like automatix and stood up for a great tool of
it's time. LOL

The real problem here is that that system (kaffiene??) is giving this
encryption error. That is wrong and misleading. It can't access the
disk so it thinks it is the encryption when it is that the disk does
not exist. Some dev somewhere needs to fix that. I would file and
error report but I am not even sure where to file it. I don't think it
is Kaffiene because you get the error from other players too. Maybe
xine?? Also if there are boards out there that are still fighting
this, that you know of, please post the answer there and date it too!
I am so sick of finding answers that don't work because they are for
*ubuntu  from years ago but don't say so.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Bugzilla from art.alexion@verizon.net
Rod Lovett wrote:
> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
> Cheers
> Rod
>
> P.S.
>
> This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.

I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.

To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.

My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Art Alexion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rod Lovett wrote:
>> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
>> Cheers
>> Rod
>>
>> P.S.
>>
>> This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.
>
> I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
> the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.
>
> To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.
>
> My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.

I think you are most likely right. Can you post your ftab file? And
also look and see what you have in /dev/ as far as cd and dvd stuff?
Use ls -al to get the links to show. I am just wondering what IS going
on.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Dotan Cohen
2008/9/2 Art Alexion <[hidden email]>:
> I still think this may be a bigger problem.

Yes, changing the rendering engine is not a fix, it is a patch.

I suggest that the OP file a bug in launchpad and let the devs walk
him through a solution. Then the solution could be incorporated into
future versions of *buntu.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Derek Broughton-2
Knapp wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings
>> from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and
>> survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
>
> Nothing like having the list jump down your throat. I had it happen to
> me because I happen to like automatix and stood up for a great tool of
> it's time. LOL

Hey now, the two cases are totally different!  We wanted to help Rod, but
couldn't understand him.  We really _didn't_ want to help you with
Automatix, because it was an ugly, dangerous, kludge, that could be dealt
with by far safer methods :-)

> The real problem here is that that system (kaffiene??) is giving this
> encryption error. That is wrong and misleading.

You're right - _that_ would seem to be a kaffeine/xine error, and is the
only thing that kaffeine/xine is doing wrong (wrt this situation, anyway).

> It can't access the
> disk so it thinks it is the encryption when it is that the disk does
> not exist. Some dev somewhere needs to fix that. I would file and
> error report but I am not even sure where to file it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/230670

You & Rod should both comment on it (though I'm pretty sure this is not a
HAL problem, as stated - no wonder it isn't getting any attention).

> I don't think it
> is Kaffiene because you get the error from other players too. Maybe
> xine??

Again, you're probably right.

btw, always search bugs.launchpad.net first - you'd have found this, and the
workaround, by mid May. (in fact, a simple google for "kaffeine encryption
error" finds this bug report...)
--
derek

Art Alexion wrote:

> Rod Lovett wrote:
>> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings
>> from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and
>> survives reboot so once again well done Douglas. Cheers Rod
>>
>> P.S.
>>
>> This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below
>> su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.
>
> I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
> the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.
>
> To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.
>
> My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.

That's where the bug is filed, but I think it's really just udev.  We'll see
when they send us more info.
--
derek

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Nigel Henry-3
On Tuesday 02 September 2008 16:27, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]>

> > The real problem here is that that system (kaffiene??) is giving this
> > encryption error. That is wrong and misleading.
>
> You're right - _that_ would seem to be a kaffeine/xine error, and is the
> only thing that kaffeine/xine is doing wrong (wrt this situation, anyway).
>
> > It can't access the
> > disk so it thinks it is the encryption when it is that the disk does
> > not exist. Some dev somewhere needs to fix that. I would file and
> > error report but I am not even sure where to file it.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/230670
>
> You & Rod should both comment on it (though I'm pretty sure this is not a
> HAL problem, as stated - no wonder it isn't getting any attention).
>
> > I don't think it
> > is Kaffiene because you get the error from other players too. Maybe
> > xine??
>
> Again, you're probably right.
>
> btw, always search bugs.launchpad.net first - you'd have found this, and
> the workaround, by mid May. (in fact, a simple google for "kaffeine
> encryption error" finds this bug report...)
> --
> derek

I'll come in on this thread if I may, as I can't get Kaffeine to play DVD's
either. Whether there is a DVD in the drive or not, I get these complaints
about needing libdvdcss to be installed, but it already is. Kaffeine will
play audio CD's with not problem. Both the /dev/cdrom, and dev/dvd symlinks
are pointing to /dev/scd0 on Kubuntu HH 8.04, and to /dev/hda on GG 7.10,
which are both correct.

VLC will play DVD's on both 7.10, and 8.04 with no problems, so the optical
drive is ok. On 8.04 which I have booted at the mo, VLC is pointing directly
to /dev/scd0.

I've just installed xine-ui, which has also pulled in libxine1-ffmpeg as a
dep, and will try xine directly with DVD's.

Watch this space.

Nigel.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Nigel Henry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 16:27, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:
>> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]>
>
>> > The real problem here is that that system (kaffiene??) is giving this
>> > encryption error. That is wrong and misleading.
>>
>> You're right - _that_ would seem to be a kaffeine/xine error, and is the
>> only thing that kaffeine/xine is doing wrong (wrt this situation, anyway).
>>
>> > It can't access the
>> > disk so it thinks it is the encryption when it is that the disk does
>> > not exist. Some dev somewhere needs to fix that. I would file and
>> > error report but I am not even sure where to file it.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/230670
>>
>> You & Rod should both comment on it (though I'm pretty sure this is not a
>> HAL problem, as stated - no wonder it isn't getting any attention).
>>
>> > I don't think it
>> > is Kaffiene because you get the error from other players too. Maybe
>> > xine??
>>
>> Again, you're probably right.
>>
>> btw, always search bugs.launchpad.net first - you'd have found this, and
>> the workaround, by mid May. (in fact, a simple google for "kaffeine
>> encryption error" finds this bug report...)
>> --
>> derek
>
> I'll come in on this thread if I may, as I can't get Kaffeine to play DVD's
> either. Whether there is a DVD in the drive or not, I get these complaints
> about needing libdvdcss to be installed, but it already is. Kaffeine will
> play audio CD's with not problem. Both the /dev/cdrom, and dev/dvd symlinks
> are pointing to /dev/scd0 on Kubuntu HH 8.04, and to /dev/hda on GG 7.10,
> which are both correct.
>
> VLC will play DVD's on both 7.10, and 8.04 with no problems, so the optical
> drive is ok. On 8.04 which I have booted at the mo, VLC is pointing directly
> to /dev/scd0.
>
> I've just installed xine-ui, which has also pulled in libxine1-ffmpeg as a
> dep, and will try xine directly with DVD's.
>
> Watch this space.
>
> Nigel.

I am not sure I am following what you are saying but did you change
the settings in Kaffiene -> xine->media as suggested to /dev/dvd1? It
should fix the problem.

--
Douglas E Knapp

wrote:

> >> You're right - _that_ would seem to be a kaffeine/xine error, and is the
> >> only thing that kaffeine/xine is doing wrong (wrt this situation,
> >> anyway).

> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/230670
> >>
> >> You & Rod should both comment on it (though I'm pretty sure this is not
> >> a HAL problem, as stated - no wonder it isn't getting any attention).

> >> Again, you're probably right.
> >>
> >> btw, always search bugs.launchpad.net first - you'd have found this, and
> >> the workaround, by mid May. (in fact, a simple google for "kaffeine
> >> encryption error" finds this bug report...)
> >> --
> >> derek
> >
> > I'll come in on this thread if I may, as I can't get Kaffeine to play
> > DVD's either. Whether there is a DVD in the drive or not, I get these
> > complaints about needing libdvdcss to be installed, but it already is.
> > Kaffeine will play audio CD's with not problem. Both the /dev/cdrom, and
> > dev/dvd symlinks are pointing to /dev/scd0 on Kubuntu HH 8.04, and to
> > /dev/hda on GG 7.10, which are both correct.
> >
> > VLC will play DVD's on both 7.10, and 8.04 with no problems, so the
> > optical drive is ok. On 8.04 which I have booted at the mo, VLC is
> > pointing directly to /dev/scd0.
> >
> > I've just installed xine-ui, which has also pulled in libxine1-ffmpeg as
> > a dep, and will try xine directly with DVD's.
> >
> > Watch this space.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I am not sure I am following what you are saying but did you change
> the settings in Kaffiene -> xine->media as suggested to /dev/dvd1? It
> should fix the problem.
>

> --
> Douglas E Knapp

Well no, because unless you have more than 1 DVD optical drive /dev/dvd1 does
not exist, and as I only have one optical drive capable of playing DVD's on
this machine, I only have /dev/dvd, which is a symlink pointing to /dev/scd0.

As I said on a previous post, VLC will play DVD's with no problem, but
Kaffeine appears to be having some problems accessing the optical drive to
play DVD's. I've installed the xine-ui, and xine will play DVD's using the
same settings for the xine engine in Kaffeine, although with some weird
problems, which are on another thread.

Nigel.

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Billie Walsh
Knapp wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Art Alexion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Rod Lovett wrote:
>>
>>> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
>>> Cheers
>>> Rod
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>>
>>> This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.
>>>
>> I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
>> the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.
>>
>> To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.
>>
>> My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.
>>

> I think you are most likely right. Can you post your ftab file?

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hda1
UUID=f5818467-4e5c-4219-94f2-182bf7e6b42b / ext3
nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
# /dev/hda5
UUID=b06ff899-4a37-4613-9020-5ada5959c8b9 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/sdc /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/sda3 /media/SuSE auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/NTFS auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

I have three hard drives and two cd/dvd. One IDE, Kubuntu, and two SATA,
XP and OpenSuse.

> And
> also look and see what you have in /dev/ as far as cd and dvd stuff?
> Use ls -al to get the links to show. I am just wondering what IS going
> on.

I posted a list of he CD/DVD listed in /dev in another post

Knapp wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Art Alexion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Rod Lovett wrote:
>>
>>> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
>>> Cheers
>>> Rod
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>>
>>> This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.
>>>
>> I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
>> the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.
>>
>> To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.
>>
>> My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.
>>

> I think you are most likely right. Can you post your ftab file? And
> also look and see what you have in /dev/ as far as cd and dvd stuff?
> Use ls -al to get the links to show. I am just wondering what IS going
> on.

ls -al returns 608 total at this time. Should I post the whole list or
is there a certain part?

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Nigel Henry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 17:32, Knapp wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Nigel Henry <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > I'll come in on this thread if I may, as I can't get Kaffeine to play
>> > DVD's either. Whether there is a DVD in the drive or not, I get these
>> > complaints about needing libdvdcss to be installed, but it already is.
>> > Kaffeine will play audio CD's with not problem. Both the /dev/cdrom, and
>> > dev/dvd symlinks are pointing to /dev/scd0 on Kubuntu HH 8.04, and to
>> > /dev/hda on GG 7.10, which are both correct.
>> >
>> > VLC will play DVD's on both 7.10, and 8.04 with no problems, so the
>> > optical drive is ok. On 8.04 which I have booted at the mo, VLC is
>> > pointing directly to /dev/scd0.
>> >
>> > I've just installed xine-ui, which has also pulled in libxine1-ffmpeg as
>> > a dep, and will try xine directly with DVD's.
>> >
>> > Watch this space.
>> >
>> > Nigel.
>>
>> I am not sure I am following what you are saying but did you change
>> the settings in Kaffiene -> xine->media as suggested to /dev/dvd1? It
>> should fix the problem.
>>

>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Well no, because unless you have more than 1 DVD optical drive /dev/dvd1 does
> not exist, and as I only have one optical drive capable of playing DVD's on
> this machine, I only have /dev/dvd, which is a symlink pointing to /dev/scd0.
>
> As I said on a previous post, VLC will play DVD's with no problem, but
> Kaffeine appears to be having some problems accessing the optical drive to
> play DVD's. I've installed the xine-ui, and xine will play DVD's using the
> same settings for the xine engine in Kaffeine, although with some weird
> problems, which are on another thread.
>
> Nigel.

Nothing wrong with your logic but is that the reality of your system?
Have you looked at a ls -al of your drives in /dev?

--
Douglas E Knapp

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Billie Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Knapp wrote:

>>> I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
>>> the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.
>>>
>>> To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.
>>>
>>> My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.
>>>

>> I think you are most likely right. Can you post your ftab file? And
>> also look and see what you have in /dev/ as far as cd and dvd stuff?
>> Use ls -al to get the links to show. I am just wondering what IS going
>> on.
>
> ls -al returns 608 total at this time. Should I post the whole list or
> is there a certain part?

No I meant only the parts todo with cd and dvd don't need the rest.
The question for me is do you have dvd or dvd0 or what and what do
they link to?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Billie Walsh wrote:

> /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

Those are almost certainly wrong.

Does "ls /dev/hd*" still show devices?  If not, change them to scd0 and
scd1.
--
derek

Re: Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Billie Walsh
Sorry. I'm claiming a senior moment. I got mixed up on which thread.
Please ignore everything I replied.