Kernel Package tweaking

Glauber Costa-2
Hi all,

I usually add some custom boot options to my kernels to tweak it for
my usage. However, everytime the kernel package is updated, I am
obbliged to open my menu.lst in order to add those options to the new
kernel (Obviously, this is not the hard part. The hard part is
remembering to do so). It is sometimes anoying, as after boot, the new
kernel not always works as I would expect.

It would be nice to be able to make these configurations survive
kernel upgrades  (By inspecting the old entries of menu.lst during
prerm, from a config file like /etc/kernel-bootup-params, from
/proc/cmdline, or something alike)

Thanks for your attention,

glommer
--
Free Software : Technology for a better world

Re: Kernel Package tweaking

Ben Collins-5
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:00 -0200, Glauber de Oliveira Costa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I usually add some custom boot options to my kernels to tweak it for
> my usage. However, everytime the kernel package is updated, I am
> obbliged to open my menu.lst in order to add those options to the new
> kernel (Obviously, this is not the hard part. The hard part is
> remembering to do so). It is sometimes anoying, as after boot, the new
> kernel not always works as I would expect.
>
> It would be nice to be able to make these configurations survive
> kernel upgrades  (By inspecting the old entries of menu.lst during
> prerm, from a config file like /etc/kernel-bootup-params, from
> /proc/cmdline, or something alike)

Open up menu.lst and find the commented out line that starts:

# kopt=

Add your options to the end, and grub's menu update will retain them.

--
Ben Collins
Kernel Developer - Ubuntu Linux