Keylogger

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
96 messages Options
12345
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Keylogger

Xen
Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
turn-on/turn-off feature?

I mean like an applet in the system tray?

LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
document is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly what
I wrote.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Robert Heller
At Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:37:19 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>
> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>
> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
> document is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly what
> I wrote.

Ctrl-S is your friend.  Every 5th keystroke you make should be Ctrl-S.  You
should hit Ctrl-S everytime you take a sip of your coffee or tea or whatever.  
Everytime you stop and take a breath, you should hit Ctrl-S.  Save frequently,
save often.

>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                             

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Peter Flynn
On 30/11/17 20:52, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:37:19 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
>> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>>
>> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>>
>> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
>> document is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly
>> what I wrote.
>
> Ctrl-S is your friend.  Every 5th keystroke you make should be
> Ctrl-S.  You should hit Ctrl-S everytime you take a sip of your
> coffee or tea or whatever. Everytime you stop and take a breath, you
> should hit Ctrl-S.  Save frequently, save often.

Amen. Better, use an editor which does this automatically every
[configurable] seconds.

///Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

J. L.-2
In reply to this post by Xen
On 30.11.2017 19:37, Xen wrote:
> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>
> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>
> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
> document is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly what
> I wrote.
>

Hi!

Quite obviously You seem to not know that LO as well as lots of other
programs offers the setting to "auto-save" every x minutes.

No need for an additional "key-logger". At least with regard to the
stated problem ...

Good luck!

J. L.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Xen
On 30 November 2017 at 18:37, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>
> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>
> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my document
> is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly what I wrote.

I don't remember ever losing any typing due to a LibreOffice crash. On
the rare occasions that it has crashed it has always automatically
recovered the recent typing.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Adam McClure-2
In reply to this post by Xen
On 30/11/2017 13:37, Xen wrote:
> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>
> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>
> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
> document is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly
> what I wrote.
>
You shouldn't need a keylogger. The best thing to do would to save the
document after every few sentences.

A keylogger is only going to slow down your computer since it'll be
recording and saving all of your keystrokes in the background.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

0xA2C9E4D3.asc (3K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

ubuntu-users mailing list
30 November 2017  at 21:46, Adam McClure wrote:
Re: Keylogger (at least in part)

>You shouldn't need a keylogger. The best thing to do would to save the
>document after every few sentences.

>A keylogger is only going to slow down your computer since it'll be recording
>and saving all of your keystrokes in the background.

My "Guess" is the OP is nore intrested in "others" keystrokes not his (just my
1.5p  or $0.02 US ;->)  

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Joel Rees

2017/12/01 15:18 "Grizzly via ubuntu-users" <[hidden email]>:
>
> 30 November 2017  at 21:46, Adam McClure wrote:
> Re: Keylogger (at least in part)
>
> >You shouldn't need a keylogger. The best thing to do would to save the
> >document after every few sentences.
>
> >A keylogger is only going to slow down your computer since it'll be recording
> >and saving all of your keystrokes in the background.
>
> My "Guess" is the OP is nore intrested in "others" keystrokes not his (just my
> 1.5p  or $0.02 US ;->)

Yeah, but this is Xen asking.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
Robert Heller schreef op 30-11-2017 21:52:

> Ctrl-S is your friend.  Every 5th keystroke you make should be Ctrl-S.  
> You
> should hit Ctrl-S everytime you take a sip of your coffee or tea or
> whatever.
> Everytime you stop and take a breath, you should hit Ctrl-S.  Save
> frequently,
> save often.

I used to do that when I was using Windows 3.11 because my motherboard
was corrupt and the entire Windows environment would crash every few
minutes basically :p.

But it was not fun.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by J. L.-2
J. L. schreef op 30-11-2017 22:26:

> Hi!
>
> Quite obviously You seem to not know that LO as well as lots of other
> programs offers the setting to "auto-save" every x minutes.
>
> No need for an additional "key-logger". At least with regard to the
> stated problem ...

I don't like autosaving because it conflicts with my intents.

When I save it's a purposeful action. For instance sometimes... well
whatever.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Joel Rees
01 December 2017  at 15:36, Joel Rees wrote:
Re: Keylogger (at least in part)

>2017/12/01 15:18 "Grizzly via ubuntu-users" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> 30 November 2017  at 21:46, Adam McClure wrote:
>> Re: Keylogger (at least in part)
>>
>> >You shouldn't need a keylogger. The best thing to do would to save the
>> >document after every few sentences.
>>
>> >A keylogger is only going to slow down your computer since it'll be
>recording
>> >and saving all of your keystrokes in the background.

>> My "Guess" is the OP is nore intrested in "others" keystrokes not his
>(just my 1.5p  or  $0.02 US ;->)

>Yeah, but this is Xen asking.

I only came late to the thread, so no insult intended, you know how it is when
you see simalar stuff


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by Colin Law
Colin Law schreef op 30-11-2017 23:01:

> On 30 November 2017 at 18:37, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
>> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>>
>> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>>
>> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
>> document
>> is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly what I
>> wrote.
>
> I don't remember ever losing any typing due to a LibreOffice crash. On
> the rare occasions that it has crashed it has always automatically
> recovered the recent typing.

Me too. Well, in most cases. Sometimes the recovery failed, but in this
case it recovered and then produced an older document.

I had rewritten 2 paragraphs.

I *might* even have saved in between and in that case it would have
overwritten my saved state with the autorecovery.

This crash was a peculiar one. "Array index out of bounds" when
selecting text...

But regardless, this is no solution. I need a fail-safe measure that
will work independently of LibreOffice.

For instance, if you go back in your text to undo something and then
redo back to the front, or you just wanted to see your older text that
you had changed, and you want to redo back to the front but you
accidentally press shift-Z instead of ctrl-shift-Z, your redo buffer is
now gone.

There is no safety inside LibreOffice against any of these measures...

They remain all tiny solutions for individual problems while the entire
problem could be solved with one keylogger once and for all, that you
turn on when you start writing and off when you're done.

So yes, there is a need for a keylogger. For me there is.

It's the same as ensuring that no device will ever shortcircuit --- OR
you can install a protection against power surges (that we all have I
guess) and solve the problem forever.

You can't find safety by trying to solve all these individual problems
when you could solve the bigger problem once and for all, and have a
safety net I mean that just catches everything.

Hence my request.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by Xen
Adam McClure schreef op 01-12-2017 3:46:

> On 30/11/2017 13:37, Xen wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a keylogger with a GUI and an easy-to-use
>> turn-on/turn-off feature?
>>
>> I mean like an applet in the system tray?
>>
>> LibreOffice crashed on me again and took some text with it, now my
>> document is incongruent again because I can never remember exactly
>> what I wrote.
>>
> You shouldn't need a keylogger.

Well I do need one but the downside is that if you have no GUI, you have
to keep it running in the background basically and that means it also
logs all of your passwords.

Also the one I have now just saves everything into a long list. I can
sed that into shape but it's not very usable this way.

I mean recovering text...

> The best thing to do would to save the
> document after every few sentences.

No solution, either I had already saved and the recovery overwrote it,
(I forgot to check I guess) or I had done so little actually, well okay
they were 2 paragraphs, but it is pretty obvious the problem remains,
even if it becomes "less".

I mean, I need a total solution, not something piecemeal.

> A keylogger is only going to slow down your computer since it'll be
> recording and saving all of your keystrokes in the background.

Ehm no, it will be recording all my keypresses for me to save :D.

I mean, I'm already running one. It has no effect on system performance.

It just has no gui.

So I can't use it for anything useful in that sense.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
Grizzly via ubuntu-users schreef op 01-12-2017 7:16:

> 30 November 2017  at 21:46, Adam McClure wrote:
> Re: Keylogger (at least in part)
>
>> You shouldn't need a keylogger. The best thing to do would to save the
>> document after every few sentences.
>
>> A keylogger is only going to slow down your computer since it'll be
>> recording
>> and saving all of your keystrokes in the background.
>
> My "Guess" is the OP is nore intrested in "others" keystrokes not his
> (just my
> 1.5p  or $0.02 US ;->)

Why would I need a GUI for that?

Obtaining others' keystrokes by installing an applet in the system tray
to notify them they are being keylogged?

Smart idea...

And If I needed a Keylogger I wouldn't need to ask here, I could just
search. (And I already have one).

But it just produces a long list of nonsense that you have to sed first.

Well that's done now but it's still annoying.

Strangely it crashed yesterday evening when I was done writing...

Hmmm... maybe I can just tie it to LibreOffice startup and shutdown,
that should be easy :D.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Xen
Off-topic:

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 08:15:07 +0100, Xen wrote:
>you can install a protection against power surges (that we all have I
>guess) and solve the problem forever.

Yes, we all own several, since it's more or less impossible to
get a power strip without one. However, for overvoltage protection they
are quasi useless, unless you have all 3 types of good quality, Surge
Protective Devices EN 61643-11, EN 62305 type 1, 2 and 3. Actually you
usually will find all 3 types in one power strip, but AFAIK they need
to be separated in different locations of the house and from far better
quality, building feed type 1, floor distributor type 2 and socket type
3. It doesn't harm to have those all in one protections, I ensure that
important gear is pseudo-protected by those devices. Actually friends
already experienced serious overwaltage issues caused by lightning and
IIRC most of the times, if not always, those power strip protections
didn't protect their equipment. Just some spark gap/gas discharge
valve + varistor + suppressor diode in a power strip is quasi just a
type 3 and not really a type 1, 2 and 3 device. At best I've got
superficial knowledge, so don't take my words too seriously, but at
least I know people who had bad luck with those protections in one
power strip.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Joel Rees
In reply to this post by Xen

Two thoughts:

2017/12/01 16:49 "Xen" <[hidden email]>:
>
> [...]
> And If I needed a Keylogger I wouldn't need to ask here, I could just search. (And I already have one).
>
> But it just produces a long list of nonsense that you have to sed first.
>
> Well that's done now but it's still annoying.
>
> Strangely it crashed yesterday evening when I was done writing...

It occurs to me to wonder whether your keylogger might not be the cause of the crash.

If you want a robust keylogger, you'll probably want one from an application automation toolkit.

And it will need to be designed to play nicely with input methods, even if you don't use an IME, because modern applications need to be written that way.

> Hmmm... maybe I can just tie it to LibreOffice startup and shutdown, that should be easy :D.

Wrap an instance of the keylogger around the LO launch command?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Xen
01 December 2017  at 8:48, Xen wrote:
Re: Keylogger (at least in part)

>Grizzly via ubuntu-users schreef op 01-12-2017 7:16:

>> My "Guess" is the OP is nore intrested in "others" keystrokes not his
>> (just my
>> 1.5p  or $0.02 US ;->)

>Why would I need a GUI for that?

>Obtaining others' keystrokes by installing an applet in the system tray to
>notify them they are being keylogged?

>Smart idea...

Smart enough for a lot of users, who take no notice of icons in the system tray
(I may have spent toooo long in support of Windowz users :->)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by Joel Rees
Joel Rees schreef op 01-12-2017 11:32:

> It occurs to me to wonder whether your keylogger might not be the cause
> of the crash.

It wasn't running when it crashed, or I would not have been asking here
;-).

I guess.

I now autostart it.

And then occasionally shred the file.

Also the crash was something to do with an array in LibreOffice, I am
sure its functionality is completely transparent, it just hooks into
some X library.

>> Hmmm... maybe I can just tie it to LibreOffice startup and shutdown,
>> that should be easy :D.
>
> Wrap an instance of the keylogger around the LO launch command?

Yeah, or just a bash script that will start it before LibreOffice, then
"wait" till LibreOffice terminates (if in the background) and then kill
it again.

I generally don't have these issues so much when doing less important
stuff or smaller documents.

Like emails, so I only really need it for LO.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Xen
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
Grizzly via ubuntu-users schreef op 01-12-2017 12:02:

>> Smart idea...
>
> Smart enough for a lot of users, who take no notice of icons in the
> system tray
> (I may have spent toooo long in support of Windowz users :->)

That would make you a funny hacker though.

Trying to see if anyone will notice.

"This application logs all your keystrokes"

And then nothing else.

And then a configuration screen and a button "I have a problem with
this" and then see how many people click it.

:D.

But ideally such a gui would have a shred option builtin and a history
size option and all of such.

Maybe people won't want to uninstall it :D.

"Oh hey this is cool, I can see all my keypresses.

Oh I can shred the history too!"

"But who would want this?"

"Ah well, f*** it."

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keylogger

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Xen
At Fri, 01 Dec 2017 07:59:53 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Robert Heller schreef op 30-11-2017 21:52:
>
> > Ctrl-S is your friend.  Every 5th keystroke you make should be Ctrl-S.  
> > You
> > should hit Ctrl-S everytime you take a sip of your coffee or tea or
> > whatever.
> > Everytime you stop and take a breath, you should hit Ctrl-S.  Save
> > frequently,
> > save often.
>
> I used to do that when I was using Windows 3.11 because my motherboard
> was corrupt and the entire Windows environment would crash every few
> minutes basically :p.
>
> But it was not fun.

But it is a good habit.  I *still* do it, even though my machines and software
are quite reliable and crashes (hardware or software) are extremely rare these
days.  (Although the my editor of choice is MicroEMacs and for me it is
Ctrl-X,Ctrl-S, I still reflexively hit it every few words.)

>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                                         

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12345