Killer feature

John Nilsson
I won't be doing this anyway so I thought I'd throw it in here.

A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
software through synaptic.

Although I never tried it my self, there is something similar in windows
for games called steam.

I image one could build a business around porting and packaging software
for different linux packaging systems this way and administering
licenses.

Regards,
John

Re: Killer feature

Jeroen van Splunder
Op vr, 06-01-2006 te 08:54 +0100, schreef John Nilsson:
> A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
> software through synaptic.
Since you're talking about licensed software, I think you mean
proprietary software. Please keep in mind that commercial and
proprietary are not the same.[1] There are enough people and companies
making a profit out of free software, and there are also people and
companies making no money out of proprietary software.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Commercial
--
Jeroen van Splunder <[hidden email]>

Re: Killer feature

Jerome Gotangco
Gnome App Install does this currently, with Adobe Acrobat Reader (in
multiverse) for example and could be a model for other apps to come.

Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]
Mobile: +639196555242
GPG: 0xA97B69A0

Re: Killer feature

Jeff Waugh-2
<quote who="John Nilsson">

> I won't be doing this anyway so I thought I'd throw it in here.
>
> A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
> software through synaptic.

Workin' on it. Been coming for a while. :-) As Mark says, what "consenting
adults" agree to do together is their business, be that proprietary software
or... more intimate things. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

  "A problem worthy of attack, proves its worth by fighting back." - Paul
                                   Erdos

Re: Killer feature

Stephan Hermann
Hi,

On Friday 06 January 2006 09:57, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="John Nilsson">
>
> > I won't be doing this anyway so I thought I'd throw it in here.
> >
> > A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
> > software through synaptic.
>
> Workin' on it. Been coming for a while. :-)

Speak https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/third-party-packages
This is the specification for third party packages. It doesn't matter who or
what the "third party" is.

> As Mark says, what "consenting
> adults" agree to do together is their business, be that proprietary
> software or... more intimate things. :-)

What can that be...those "intimate things" ;-)

Regards,

\sh

Re: Killer feature

Jeff Waugh-2
<quote who="Stephan Hermann">

> > As Mark says, what "consenting adults" agree to do together is their
> > business, be that proprietary software or... more intimate things. :-)
>
> What can that be...those "intimate things" ;-)

Fireworks! (See upcoming post from Daniel Holbach...)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   You know the end is nigh when modern art is relegated to the status of
                                  "meme".

Re: Killer feature

John Nilsson
On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 10:11 +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Speak https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/third-party-packages
> This is the specification for third party packages. It doesn't matter who or
> what the "third party" is.

That spec mentions direct install of debs. I'm not entirely sure that's
a very good idea. Sure the possibility would be nice, but the preferred
and promoted way should be repository based installs.

I hadn't thought of it before I saw this:
http://www.softpedia.com/progClean/Driver-Cleaner-Clean-6505.html but a
repository based system is important to keep malware out of the equation
for Linux.

By downloding software from Ubuntu repositories (even if they are just
proxies for third-parties) I get the assurance that the software is
reasonably malware free, compatible and integrated with the system, and
has a reasonably high quality regarding the intended use.

The software can readily be upgraded and patched for security problems
in a timely manner through the system upgrade facility. This isn't only
important for my own system but also minimizes the number of systems
potentially hazardous for the Internet (spam bots, worm carriers and
such).

>From a user experience point of view it's also more consistent if all
software is available from a single point.

All the above my stand on its own merits but once third party software
installation outside the package manger becomes common it also becomes
the norm. As the industry already is used to this way of distribution
it's hard enough to convert them as it is.

Regards,
John

Re: Killer feature

George Farris
On Fri, 2006-06-01 at 16:45 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> Gnome App Install does this currently, with Adobe Acrobat Reader (in
> multiverse) for example and could be a model for other apps to come.

I've installed Ubuntu on many peoples workstations and one of the
complaints I always get is: "Ya know that app installed shows all sorts
of apps that look like shit when I install them and they don't run the
same way".  They are of course referring to the "other" desktop apps.
If you are in GNOME and install KDE apps or if you are in KDE and
install GNOME apps.

A nice feature IMHO would be if one was able to limit the apps to gtk or
qt if desired.  Of course installing KDE apps under GNOME would go along
way if there was a human theme for them.  Right now they just look
horrible.

Not complaining just passing along user observations.

Re: Killer feature

Gustavo Franco
On 1/6/06, Stephan Hermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday 06 January 2006 09:57, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="John Nilsson">
> >
> > > I won't be doing this anyway so I thought I'd throw it in here.
> > >
> > > A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
> > > software through synaptic.
> >
> > Workin' on it. Been coming for a while. :-)
>
> Speak https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/third-party-packages
> This is the specification for third party packages. It doesn't matter who or
> what the "third party" is.
>
> (...)

Right, gdebi is working well and solves part of users needs on this
aspect (as better documented with the spec), for those that don't know
it's available on Dapper. I think that Michael Vogt can talk more
about his plans with it, since i'm just a contributor and gdebi Debian
maintainer.

--
Gustavo Franco

Re: Killer feature

Matt Zimmerman-2

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyPackages

--
 - mdz

Re: Killer feature

Claessens Xavier
Le vendredi 06 janvier 2006 à 10:10 -0800, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :

> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 08:54:13AM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
> > I won't be doing this anyway so I thought I'd throw it in here.
> >
> > A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
> > software through synaptic.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyPackages
>
> --
>  - mdz
If I well understood, thanks to that I'll be able to install doom3 from
idsoftware .deb repos ? If I'm not wrong, I suggest to include a
standard mechanism to install DATAs from CDs ! Because a lot of
proprietary software (mainly games) need that and it will be far better
if those programs have the same way of asking the CDROM etc... It should
maybe be based on HAL to not ask the user if the CDROM is already
mounted, etc...

I say that because I've build .deb package for unrealtournament and
that's what is hard to do in a user-friendly way.

Re: Killer feature

Michael Vogt-4
Hi Xavier,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:16:23PM +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> Le vendredi 06 janvier 2006 à 10:10 -0800, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :
> > On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 08:54:13AM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
> > > I won't be doing this anyway so I thought I'd throw it in here.
> > >
> > > A killer feature would be to be able to license and install commercial
> > > software through synaptic.
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyPackages
[..]
> If I well understood, thanks to that I'll be able to install doom3 from
> idsoftware .deb repos ?

I don't know about this repository. What's it's URL?

[..]
> I say that because I've build .deb package for unrealtournament and
> that's what is hard to do in a user-friendly way.

This can be done nowdays with the "gdebi" package. It enables
installing of deb packages with dependency resolution in a
user-friendly way, install "gdebi" and right-click on a deb package in
nautilus.

Cheers,
 Michael

Re: Killer feature

Michael Vogt-4
Hi John,

sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:43:39AM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 10:11 +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > Speak https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/third-party-packages
> > This is the specification for third party packages. It doesn't matter who or
> > what the "third party" is.
>
> That spec mentions direct install of debs. I'm not entirely sure that's
> a very good idea. Sure the possibility would be nice, but the preferred
> and promoted way should be repository based installs.
[..]

I totally agree with this and I understand your concerns.

The goal is to have everything we can in a real repositoriy. This
makes our life easier and the life of our users.

But this is not possible for all software unfortunately, some vendors
will not want to setup a repository. People do install deb packages
directly and gdebi should provide a way to do it in a bit less
"system-breaking" way. The checks and depedency resolution will
prevent the worst problems.

Cheers,
 Michael

Re: Killer feature

Claessens Xavier
Le vendredi 13 janvier 2006 à 11:49 +0100, Michael Vogt a écrit :

> Hi Xavier,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:16:23PM +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:

> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyPackages
> [..]
> > If I well understood, thanks to that I'll be able to install doom3 from
> > idsoftware .deb repos ?
>
> I don't know about this repository. What's it's URL?
I think it doesn't exist but the goal of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyPackages is to make it possible (and
easy) to install doom3 *if* id-software provide a package repository ?