Kmail/Kontact question

Charlie-3
Hey all. In Kmail/Kontact, in the email viewing section of the program,
there's a black bar that says "HTML Message." I used to be able to turn that
off but now I can't seem to find the option to do so anywhere in this new
version of Kubuntu. (19.04). Will this option return later on in a future
update to the software? Almost all emails are composed as HTML these days and
I'm ok with that because it's cool to have pics, links and all of that. I just
don't the bar on the side.

Charlie

Re: Kmail/Kontact question

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 17:18:42 CET schrieb charlie:
> Hey all. In Kmail/Kontact, in the email viewing section of the program,
> there's a black bar that says "HTML Message." I used to be able to turn that
> off but now I can't seem to find the option to do so anywhere in this new
> version of Kubuntu. (19.04). Will this option return later on in a future
> update to the software? Almost all emails are composed as HTML these days
> and I'm ok with that because it's cool to have pics, links and all of that.
> I just don't the bar on the side.

What exactly do you want to turn off?

You can click on that "HTML Message" bar, in order to switch between HTML and
plain text mode, when the message has HTML.

Bye
V.W.

Re: Kmail/Kontact question

Charlie-3
On Friday, February 22, 2019 8:56:49 AM PST Volker Wysk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 17:18:42 CET schrieb charlie:
> > Hey all. In Kmail/Kontact, in the email viewing section of the program,
> > there's a black bar that says "HTML Message." I used to be able to turn
> > that off but now I can't seem to find the option to do so anywhere in
> > this new version of Kubuntu. (19.04). Will this option return later on in
> > a future update to the software? Almost all emails are composed as HTML
> > these days and I'm ok with that because it's cool to have pics, links and
> > all of that. I just don't the bar on the side.
>
> What exactly do you want to turn off?
>
> You can click on that "HTML Message" bar, in order to switch between HTML
> and plain text mode, when the message has HTML.
>
> Bye
> V.W.
well, I don't want to switch back to plain text mode that's the issue. I like
the HTML version much better because I can see all of the media that comes
with the email and it downloads all of the pics automatically. The option to
turn off the sidebar was in the account settings but it's not present here in
19.04. I just wanted to see if it was put in a different place.

Re: Kmail/Kontact question

Charlie-3
On Friday, February 22, 2019 12:57:34 PM PST charlie wrote:

> On Friday, February 22, 2019 8:56:49 AM PST Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 17:18:42 CET schrieb charlie:
> > > Hey all. In Kmail/Kontact, in the email viewing section of the program,
> > > there's a black bar that says "HTML Message." I used to be able to turn
> > > that off but now I can't seem to find the option to do so anywhere in
> > > this new version of Kubuntu. (19.04). Will this option return later on
> > > in
> > > a future update to the software? Almost all emails are composed as HTML
> > > these days and I'm ok with that because it's cool to have pics, links
> > > and
> > > all of that. I just don't the bar on the side.
> >
> > What exactly do you want to turn off?
> >
> > You can click on that "HTML Message" bar, in order to switch between HTML
> > and plain text mode, when the message has HTML.
> >
> > Bye
> > V.W.
>
> well, I don't want to switch back to plain text mode that's the issue. I
> like the HTML version much better because I can see all of the media that
> comes with the email and it downloads all of the pics automatically. The
> option to turn off the sidebar was in the account settings but it's not
> present here in 19.04. I just wanted to see if it was put in a different
> place.
additional: I correct myself. It was originally under email appearance and
then under the tab for general. It's not there.

Re: Kmail/Kontact question

Volker Wysk
Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 21:57:34 CET schrieb charlie:

> On Friday, February 22, 2019 8:56:49 AM PST Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 17:18:42 CET schrieb charlie:
> > > Hey all. In Kmail/Kontact, in the email viewing section of the program,
> > > there's a black bar that says "HTML Message." I used to be able to turn
> > > that off but now I can't seem to find the option to do so anywhere in
> > > this new version of Kubuntu. (19.04). Will this option return later on
> > > in
> > > a future update to the software? Almost all emails are composed as HTML
> > > these days and I'm ok with that because it's cool to have pics, links
> > > and
> > > all of that. I just don't the bar on the side.
> >
> > What exactly do you want to turn off?
> >
> > You can click on that "HTML Message" bar, in order to switch between HTML
> > and plain text mode, when the message has HTML.
> >
> > Bye
> > V.W.
>
> well, I don't want to switch back to plain text mode that's the issue. I
> like the HTML version much better because I can see all of the media that
> comes with the email and it downloads all of the pics automatically. The
> option to turn off the sidebar was in the account settings but it's not
> present here in 19.04. I just wanted to see if it was put in a different
> place.

AFAIK, the plain text mode is preferred for security reasons. Probably that's
the reason why the sidebar can't be turned off by default any longer.

Byd
Volker

Re: Kmail/Kontact question

Charlie-3
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 2:45:17 AM PST Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 21:57:34 CET schrieb charlie:
> > On Friday, February 22, 2019 8:56:49 AM PST Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > What exactly do you want to turn off?
> > >
> > > You can click on that "HTML Message" bar, in order to switch between
> > > HTML
> > > and plain text mode, when the message has HTML.
> > >
> > > Bye
> > > V.W.
> >
> > well, I don't want to switch back to plain text mode that's the issue. I
> > like the HTML version much better because I can see all of the media that
> > comes with the email and it downloads all of the pics automatically. The
> > option to turn off the sidebar was in the account settings but it's not
> > present here in 19.04. I just wanted to see if it was put in a different
> > place.
>
> AFAIK, the plain text mode is preferred for security reasons. Probably
> that's the reason why the sidebar can't be turned off by default any
> longer.
>
> Byd
> Volker
Oh, I see. I think I remember reading something about that very thing when I
started using Kubuntu a couple of years ago. Must be the reason why some the
messages still won't download the images automatically then. But that's ok. I
understand the need for more security. Thanks for bringing that to my
attention.

Re: Kmail/Kontact question

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, 23. Februar 2019, 17:06:54 CET schrieb charlie:

> On Saturday, February 23, 2019 2:45:17 AM PST Volker Wysk wrote:

> > > well, I don't want to switch back to plain text mode that's the issue. I
> > > like the HTML version much better because I can see all of the media
> > > that
> > > comes with the email and it downloads all of the pics automatically. The
> > > option to turn off the sidebar was in the account settings but it's not
> > > present here in 19.04. I just wanted to see if it was put in a different
> > > place.
> >
> > AFAIK, the plain text mode is preferred for security reasons. Probably
> > that's the reason why the sidebar can't be turned off by default any
> > longer.
> >
> > Byd
> > Volker
>
> Oh, I see. I think I remember reading something about that very thing when I
> started using Kubuntu a couple of years ago. Must be the reason why some
> the messages still won't download the images automatically then. But that's
> ok. I understand the need for more security. Thanks for bringing that to my
> attention.

You're welcome.  :-)

Volker