Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

HoiAn
Dear Kubuntu,
I wanted to move to Kubuntu 20.04, but then I saw in the Release Notes that
Kmail and KDEPim are not installed by default any more. I use these programs
since many years - dispite the problems with akonadi & co anybody knows.
Of course I can install them from the repos, but I wonder why Kubuntu is
"giving up" KDE PIM. And I wonder if I run into unsolved problems when I
install them. I cannot find any hints on that decision or the problems in the
web. Could anyone please explain what stands behind and what to expect?
Kind Regards and many thanks for your work
Daniel

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

Thomas Tanghus
On Friday, 24 April 2020 15.53 Daniel Wrana wrote:

> I wonder why Kubuntu is "giving up" KDE PIM. And I wonder if I run into
unsolved problems when I install them.

First time I've heard it, and curious as well. For me KDE PIM is an integral
part of any KDE/Plasma installation.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Thomas Tanghus

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

Thomas Tanghus
On Friday, 24 April 2020 16.41 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Friday, 24 April 2020 15.53 Daniel Wrana wrote:
> > I wonder why Kubuntu is "giving up" KDE PIM. And I wonder if I run into
>
> unsolved problems when I install them.
>
> First time I've heard it, and curious as well. For me KDE PIM is an
> integral part of any KDE/Plasma installation.

It's right there: "Thunderbird is now the email client provided on the default install, replacing Kmail."

:(

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu#Web_browser.2Femail_client_and_Office_suite
--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Thomas Tanghus

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

Cody Smith-2
I'm guessing they removed it because of its many issues and the fact not being being developed as much, Google accounts still don't work with it, and haven't for at least a year.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020, 7:46 AM Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2020 16.41 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Friday, 24 April 2020 15.53 Daniel Wrana wrote:
> > I wonder why Kubuntu is "giving up" KDE PIM. And I wonder if I run into
>
> unsolved problems when I install them.
>
> First time I've heard it, and curious as well. For me KDE PIM is an
> integral part of any KDE/Plasma installation.

It's right there: "Thunderbird is now the email client provided on the default install, replacing Kmail."

:(

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu#Web_browser.2Femail_client_and_Office_suite
--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Thomas Tanghus

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

Bas Roufs

> I'm guessing they removed it because of its many issues and the fact not being being developed
> as much, Google accounts still don't work with it, and haven't for at least a year.

I agree with this.
I have been using KDE-PIM for several years with much pleasure - however, ever since about 1 year it does not work any more - amongst other reasons because of this Google problem.

A quick look at info pages about Thunderbird makes clear that it has the same functionalities as KMail and the rest of the KDE-Pim suite: next to e-mail also agenda, address book, RSS, etc. So, I gonna use Thunderbird again.

Yours.
Bas.

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. +31 6 446 835 10;

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

Thomas Tanghus
On Friday, 24 April 2020 21.14 Bas Roufs wrote:
> > I'm guessing they removed it because of its many issues and the fact not
> being being developed as much, Google accounts still don't work with it,
and haven't for at least a year.

> I have been using KDE-PIM for several years with much pleasure - however,
> ever since about 1 year it does not work any more - amongst other reasons
> because of this Google problem.

For a couple of years ago I had to temporarily ditch KDE PIM for a while,
because Akonadi was totally FUBARed. But now it's very stable, especially
after I disabled the Mail Filter Agent.

> A quick look at info pages about Thunderbird makes clear that it has the
> same functionalities as KMail and the rest of the KDE-Pim suite: next to
> e-mail also agenda, address book, RSS, etc. So, I gonna use Thunderbird
> again.

It's just not as slick and feels mostly like an afterthought. And it's not
as configurable, for example there are no per IMAP folder settings.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Thomas Tanghus

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

Valorie Zimmerman
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:54 AM Daniel Wrana <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Kubuntu,
I wanted to move to Kubuntu 20.04, but then I saw in the Release Notes that
Kmail and KDEPim are not installed by default any more. I use these programs
since many years - dispite the problems with akonadi & co anybody knows.
Of course I can install them from the repos, but I wonder why Kubuntu is
"giving up" KDE PIM. And I wonder if I run into unsolved problems when I
install them. I cannot find any hints on that decision or the problems in the
web. Could anyone please explain what stands behind and what to expect?
Kind Regards and many thanks for your work
Daniel

Unfortunately, the latest Kontact release hit too late this cycle to include it, although Rik got it packaged and tested before release. He can't upload packages past the freezes though, unless some stringent requirements are met.

Because of the scheduled release date of PIM, your Kubuntu Council decided to go with Thunderbird this cycle, with great regret. We always prefer to include KDE software, however, our paramount duty to our users is to give them the *best* software possible. And in this case, the previous version of PIM simply was not the best.

Valorie

Re: Kmail in Kubuntu 20.04

HoiAn
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:54 AM Daniel Wrana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear Kubuntu,
> > I wanted to move to Kubuntu 20.04, but then I saw in the Release Notes
> > that
> > Kmail and KDEPim are not installed by default any more. I use these
> > programs
> > since many years - dispite the problems with akonadi & co anybody knows.
> > Of course I can install them from the repos, but I wonder why Kubuntu is
> > "giving up" KDE PIM. And I wonder if I run into unsolved problems when I
> > install them. I cannot find any hints on that decision or the problems in
> > the
> > web. Could anyone please explain what stands behind and what to expect?
> > Kind Regards and many thanks for your work
> > Daniel
> >
> > Unfortunately, the latest Kontact release hit too late this cycle to
>
> include it, although Rik got it packaged and tested before release. He
> can't upload packages past the freezes though, unless some stringent
> requirements are met.
>
> Because of the scheduled release date of PIM, your Kubuntu Council decided
> to go with Thunderbird this cycle, with great regret. We always prefer to
> include KDE software, however, our paramount duty to our users is to give
> them the *best* software possible. And in this case, the previous version
> of PIM simply was not the best.
>
> Valorie

Dear Valorie,
thank for the information about Kmail/Kontact. Meanwhile I replaced the 19.10
with the 20.04-edition and installed Kmail/Kontact from the Repos.
In my setup with 2 IMAP mails from a Dovecot/Postfix mail server and 1 IMAP
from a university account with tons of mails it works great and better than
ever (and KDEPIM didn't work very well over many years, but I used it
anyways).
If there will be an even better KDEPIM from Rik in the backports soon, I
appreciate that. Thank you for your great work. Kubuntu 20.04 is a fabulous
release.
Regards
Daniel