Kontact Backup and Restoration

Ray Miller-2

I’m sure this has been asked before but how does one move Kubuntu-5.04 Kontact data in entirety to a new 5.10 installation, including all passwords, accounts, etc.

Installing a new hard disk and will upgrade to 5.10.

Ray

Re: Kontact Backup and Restoration

Steve Turnbull-3
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 14:22, Ray Miller wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked before but how does one move Kubuntu-5.04
> Kontact data in entirety to a new 5.10 installation, including all
> passwords, accounts, etc.

I assume then you are trashing the 5.04 or it is on a different box, and your
not doing a 'apt-get dist-upgrade...

in your home dir;
tar czvf kde-orig.tgz .kde
this creates a backup of '.kde' in your home folder.

also do the same for /usr/share/kde/apps (this will need to be sudo'ed)

Then, on the new system, backup the the current ones (just in case!!), then
delete them and untar/zip the backups;

e.g
tar xzvf kde-orig.tgz

Steve

--
Steve Turnbull

Digital Content Developer
YHGfL Foundation

Re: Kontact Backup and Restoration

Claudia Ringwald

Am Dienstag, 15. November 2005 15:22 schrieb Ray Miller:
> I'm sure this has been asked before but how does one move Kubuntu-5.04
> Kontact data in entirety to a new 5.10 installation, including all
> passwords, accounts, etc.

You can make a backup of your hole /home/[username] directory. Or - if you
just need the files of kde just take the /home/[username]/.kde directory.
(This directory is hidden - therefore the dot before kde - in this directory
kde stores all configuration files and the data for some kde applications
like addressbook and korganizer.)

Claudia