Kontact crasch on startup

karl vanwynsberghe
Hi,

Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
I have the following problem.
Kontact crasches each time when i startup.

This is what i get;
Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb4af86c0 (LWP 6075)):
[KCrash Handler]
#6  0xb8020430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#7  0xb5894880 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#8  0xb5896248 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#9  0xb5b3a795 in qt_message_output () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#10 0xb5b3a872 in qFatal () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#11 0xb5b3a915 in qt_assert () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#12 0xb6f0408e in KDBusServiceStarter::KDBusServiceStarter () from /usr/lib/libkio.so.5
#13 0xb78c196c in Kontact::MainWindow::MainWindow () from /usr/lib/libkontactprivate.so.4
#14 0x0804acee in _start ()

Does anyone have an idea to resolve this?

Thx Karl,

Re: Kontact crasch on startup

Nils Kassube-2
[hidden email] wrote:
> Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
> I have the following problem.
> Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
>
> This is what i get;
> Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT

Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take a
look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a
file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home
directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that
file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check it
here because I'm not yet using KDE4.

Nils

On Sunday 21 December 2008 09:49:20 Nils Kassube wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
> > I have the following problem.
> > Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
> >
> > This is what i get;
> > Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT
>
> Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take a
> look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a
> file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home
> directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that
> file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check it
> here because I'm not yet using KDE4.
>

> Nils
i' ve tried this but there is no change...

Re: Kontact crasch on startup

Derek Broughton-2
Nils Kassube wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
>> I have the following problem.
>> Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
>>
>> This is what i get;
>> Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT
>
> Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take
> a look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a
> file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home
> directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that
> file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check
> it here because I'm not yet using KDE4.

it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback, because
we can't see which kontact component is crashing.  Look at the
traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
Then try starting that program on its own.
--
derek

Derek Broughton wrote:
> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback, because
> we can't see which kontact component is crashing.  Look at the
> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
> Then try starting that program on its own.

Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it because I
could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you think kmail
was the real culprit.

Nils

Re: Kontact crasch on startup

D. R. Evans
[hidden email] said the following at 12/20/2008 11:41 AM :

> Hi,
>
> Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
> I have the following problem.
> Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
>
> This is what i get;
> Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT
>
> Thread 1 (Thread 0xb4af86c0 (LWP 6075)):
> [KCrash Handler]
> #6  0xb8020430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
> #7  0xb5894880 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> #8  0xb5896248 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> #9  0xb5b3a795 in qt_message_output () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
> #10 0xb5b3a872 in qFatal () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
> #11 0xb5b3a915 in qt_assert () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
> #12 0xb6f0408e in KDBusServiceStarter::KDBusServiceStarter () from /usr/lib/libkio.so.5
> #13 0xb78c196c in Kontact::MainWindow::MainWindow () from /usr/lib/libkontactprivate.so.4
> #14 0x0804acee in _start ()
>
> Does anyone have an idea to resolve this?
Please file a bug report on bugs.kde.org if you haven't already done that.

  Doc

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback,
>> because
>> we can't see which kontact component is crashing.  Look at the
>> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
>> Then try starting that program on its own.
>
> Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
> because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you
> think kmail was the real culprit.

Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now.  If it's complete, I don't think it's  kmail,
after all.  I just tend to blame kmail because it's probably the most used
kontact component and it's certainly the one that breaks most for me..

If that trace _isn't_ complete, look further.  As it is, it does appear
to be early in initialization, and perhaps no components have been
started yet
--
derek

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback,
>>> because
>>> we can't see which kontact component is crashing.  Look at the
>>> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
>>> Then try starting that program on its own.
>>
>> Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
>> because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you
>> think kmail was the real culprit.
>
> Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now.  If it's complete, I don't think
> it's  kmail,
> after all.  I just tend to blame kmail because it's probably the most
> used kontact component and it's certainly the one that breaks most for
> me..
>
> If that trace _isn't_ complete, look further.  As it is, it does
> appear to be early in initialization, and perhaps no components have
> been started yet

hmmm.  That said, it's probably still not a bad idea to try opening the
individual komponents to see if any of them have the same problem.
--
derek

On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:18 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback,
> >> because
> >> we can't see which kontact component is crashing. Look at the
> >> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
> >> Then try starting that program on its own.
> >
> > Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
> > because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you
> > think kmail was the real culprit.
>
> Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now. If it's complete, I don't think it's
> kmail, after all. I just tend to blame kmail because it's probably the
> most used kontact component and it's certainly the one that breaks most for
> me..
>
> If that trace _isn't_ complete, look further. As it is, it does appear
> to be early in initialization, and perhaps no components have been
> started yet
> --
> derek

I don't really know what is happening...
I can start Kmail and Akregator,.. Kontact, Kadressbook and KOrganiser don't.

Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:

> On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:18 Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Nils Kassube wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
> > > because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why
> > > you think kmail was the real culprit.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now.  If it's complete, I don't think
> > it's kmail, after all.  I just tend to blame kmail because it's
> > probably the most used kontact component and it's certainly the one
> > that breaks most for me..

That makes sense. I remember Kmail crashes as well but that was long ago.

> I don't really know what is happening...
> I can start Kmail and Akregator,.. Kontact, Kadressbook and KOrganiser
> don't.

Then look for the configuration files for kadressbook and korganizer. It
might be $HOME/.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc and
$HOME/.kde/share/config/korganizerrc but maybe there are others as well.
Move those files away from the directory and try to start the individual
applications.

Nils

Re: Kontact crasch on startup

Ric Moore
On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 20:23 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:

> > > Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now.  If it's complete, I don't think
> > > it's kmail, after all.  I just tend to blame kmail because it's
> > > probably the most used kontact component and it's certainly the one
> > > that breaks most for me..
>
> That makes sense. I remember Kmail crashes as well but that was long ago.
>
> > I don't really know what is happening...
> > I can start Kmail and Akregator,.. Kontact, Kadressbook and KOrganiser
> > don't.
>
> Then look for the configuration files for kadressbook and korganizer. It
> might be $HOME/.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc and
> $HOME/.kde/share/config/korganizerrc but maybe there are others as well.
> Move those files away from the directory and try to start the individual
> applications.

I thought kaddressbook hasn't gotten to the kde4 stage yet?

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:
>> On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:18 Derek Broughton wrote:

>> > I just tend to blame kmail because it's
>> > probably the most used kontact component and it's certainly the one
>> > that breaks most for me..
>
> That makes sense. I remember Kmail crashes as well but that was long
> ago.

They're back in 4.1 (though actually I can make knode crash easily, but
now I know better than to play with knode filters).  KMail still doesn't
handle IMAP as well as it should and now it crashes occasionally on my
IMAP folders.
--
derek

On Sunday 21 December 2008 19:17:00 Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008 09:49:20 Nils Kassube wrote:
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
> > > I have the following problem.
> > > Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
> > >
> > > This is what i get;
> > > Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT
> >
> > Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take a
> > look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a
> > file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home
> > directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that
> > file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check it
> > here because I'm not yet using KDE4.
> >

> > Nils
>
> i' ve tried this but there is no change...

Can i remove the config folder completely?
Will the files be created again?

Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:
> Can i remove the config folder completely?
> Will the files be created again?

Yes. However in the .kde folder there are also your stored emails and
possibly other valuable data. Therefore I would suggest you rename the
folder instead of removing it. Then you still have a chance to later
retrieve those things you need.

Nils