Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

ray burke
Hi can anyone help with the below-

 have recently Installed K18.04.3 on a new 160gb sata drive and
cloned all my info from my K14.04, as a test I want to make sure that
I can use dialup with the new system, but having
problems with Kppp. I have inserted the parameters thru the start
window in Kppp when I click on the Kppp icon, and it dials the modem
but gets to where it says connection in the log window ,then dies.
Have been advised to change the "#noauth",remove the #" in /etc/ppp/peers/kppp"
but cant find a file ,as can only edit thru "sudo nano" as "Kate"
can't execute.
So does anyone know where the config files
for Kppp are stored for me to adjust, hope some one can help?

Ray

Re: Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi Ray,

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 10:53 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi can anyone help with the below-

 have recently Installed K18.04.3 on a new 160gb sata drive and
cloned all my info from my K14.04, as a test I want to make sure that
I can use dialup with the new system, but having
problems with Kppp. I have inserted the parameters thru the start
window in Kppp when I click on the Kppp icon, and it dials the modem
but gets to where it says connection in the log window ,then dies.
Have been advised to change the "#noauth",remove the #" in /etc/ppp/peers/kppp"
but cant find a file ,as can only edit thru "sudo nano" as "Kate"
can't execute.
So does anyone know where the config files
for Kppp are stored for me to adjust, hope some one can help?

Ray

Its been many years since I dialed up for connectivity, but

you should be able to SEE /etc/ and the files in there in Dolphin and Kate; you just won't be able to edit. Once you find it, you should be able to copy the etc/path/to/file in to nano in the konsole.

Since Kppp is old, it's possible that the configs are still in ~/.kde -- again, you can look in Dolphin and Kate to see what's there. All newer applications put configs in ~/.config and a few in ~/.local . All files in your $HOME are editable by you, and do not (and should never) be used with sudo.

If you cloned your old info, you should be able to see your old config file somewhere in ~/.kde . Config files are just text, so you can just copy the old over and it will generally work.

Just a warning - Kppp is not maintained anymore, because nobody ported it to KDE Frameworks. Of course the code is still available in various places, and it's not yet been removed from the Ubuntu archive, but it eventually will be, because KDElibs are no longer supported (so-called KDE4).

Hope this helps,

Valorie

Re: Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

ray burke
Valorie,

Thanks, when I next boot up in K18.04.3 I will attempt to find ~/.kde
--, but in K14.04 not there?

Ray

On 10/10/2019, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 10:53 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi can anyone help with the below-
>>
>>  have recently Installed K18.04.3 on a new 160gb sata drive and
>> cloned all my info from my K14.04, as a test I want to make sure that
>> I can use dialup with the new system, but having
>> problems with Kppp. I have inserted the parameters thru the start
>> window in Kppp when I click on the Kppp icon, and it dials the modem
>> but gets to where it says connection in the log window ,then dies.
>> Have been advised to change the "#noauth",remove the #" in
>> /etc/ppp/peers/kppp"
>> but cant find a file ,as can only edit thru "sudo nano" as "Kate"
>> can't execute.
>> So does anyone know where the config files
>> for Kppp are stored for me to adjust, hope some one can help?
>>
>> Ray
>>

> Its been many years since I dialed up for connectivity, but
>
> you should be able to SEE /etc/ and the files in there in Dolphin and Kate;
> you just won't be able to edit. Once you find it, you should be able to
> copy the etc/path/to/file in to nano in the konsole.
>
> Since Kppp is old, it's possible that the configs are still in ~/.kde --
> again, you can look in Dolphin and Kate to see what's there. All newer
> applications put configs in ~/.config and a few in ~/.local . All files in
> your $HOME are editable by you, and do not (and should never) be used with
> sudo.
>
> If you cloned your old info, you should be able to see your old config file
> somewhere in ~/.kde . Config files are just text, so you can just copy the
> old over and it will generally work.
>
> Just a warning - Kppp is not maintained anymore, because nobody ported it
> to KDE Frameworks. Of course the code is still available in various places,
> and it's not yet been removed from the Ubuntu archive, but it eventually
> will be, because KDElibs are no longer supported (so-called KDE4).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Valorie
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her

Fwd: Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

ray burke
Don't quite understand where to look and how for the Kppp configs,
because Kppp is old I tried it in K14.04 but no Kppp files. when I
boot up again in K18.04.03 will try and locate BUT CONFUSED about
should I look thru home/root/etc/ ?? or Nano?

Don't quite understand where to look and how for the Kppp configs,
because Kppp is old I tried it in K14.04 but no Kppp files. when I
boot up again in K18.04.03 will try and locate BUT CONFUSED about
should I look thru home/root/etc/ ?? or Nano?

Even I still have a .kde folder in my home, which is /home/valorie/.kde - putting in your own home/username/.kde should let you see it in Dolphin.

To easily see hidden files in Dolphin, you either use Alt+. or just the View menu > hidden files. So-called "dot" files, the ones that start with . like .kde are hidden since most of the time they just clutter up your view. But they aren't secret; just hidden from regular view. You can even make a hidden file by writing something, say in Kate, and saving it with a name begining with .

Just opening these files is always OK, because they are in your home, and are *your* files. If you want to work with config files though, it's a good idea to make a copy first, so you can move it back if you mess up.

You'll not see "/root/" because root is /. So /etc/ means root/etc/.

Thanks, when I next boot up in K18.04.3 I will attempt to find ~/.kde
--, but in K14.04 not there?

Ray

Yes, it's there -- just hidden.

Valorie

On 10/10/2019, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 10:53 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi can anyone help with the below-
>>
>>  have recently Installed K18.04.3 on a new 160gb sata drive and
>> cloned all my info from my K14.04, as a test I want to make sure that
>> I can use dialup with the new system, but having
>> problems with Kppp. I have inserted the parameters thru the start
>> window in Kppp when I click on the Kppp icon, and it dials the modem
>> but gets to where it says connection in the log window ,then dies.
>> Have been advised to change the "#noauth",remove the #" in
>> /etc/ppp/peers/kppp"
>> but cant find a file ,as can only edit thru "sudo nano" as "Kate"
>> can't execute.
>> So does anyone know where the config files
>> for Kppp are stored for me to adjust, hope some one can help?
>>
>> Ray
>>

> Its been many years since I dialed up for connectivity, but
>
> you should be able to SEE /etc/ and the files in there in Dolphin and Kate;
> you just won't be able to edit. Once you find it, you should be able to
> copy the etc/path/to/file in to nano in the konsole.
>
> Since Kppp is old, it's possible that the configs are still in ~/.kde --
> again, you can look in Dolphin and Kate to see what's there. All newer
> applications put configs in ~/.config and a few in ~/.local . All files in
> your $HOME are editable by you, and do not (and should never) be used with
> sudo.
>
> If you cloned your old info, you should be able to see your old config file
> somewhere in ~/.kde . Config files are just text, so you can just copy the
> old over and it will generally work.
>
> Just a warning - Kppp is not maintained anymore, because nobody ported it
> to KDE Frameworks. Of course the code is still available in various places,
> and it's not yet been removed from the Ubuntu archive, but it eventually
> will be, because KDElibs are no longer supported (so-called KDE4).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Valorie

Re: Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

Bruce Marshall
They used to be stored in. /etc/ppp

From: ray burke <[hidden email]>
Date: 10/9/19 11:56 PM
To: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>

Valorie,

Thanks, when I next boot up in K18.04.3 I will attempt to find ~/.kde
--, but in K14.04 not there?

Ray

On 10/10/2019, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 10:53 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi can anyone help with the below-
>>
>> have recently Installed K18.04.3 on a new 160gb sata drive and
>> cloned all my info from my K14.04, as a test I want to make sure that
>> I can use dialup with the new system, but having
>> problems with Kppp. I have inserted the parameters thru the start
>> window in Kppp when I click on the Kppp icon, and it dials the modem
>> but gets to where it says connection in the log window ,then dies.
>> Have been advised to change the "#noauth",remove the #" in
>> /etc/ppp/peers/kppp"
>> but cant find a file ,as can only edit thru "sudo nano" as "Kate"
>> can't execute.
>> So does anyone know where the config files
>> for Kppp are stored for me to adjust, hope some one can help?
>>
>> Ray
>>

> Its been many years since I dialed up for connectivity, but
>
> you should be able to SEE /etc/ and the files in there in Dolphin and Kate;
> you just won't be able to edit. Once you find it, you should be able to
> copy the etc/path/to/file in to nano in the konsole.
>
> Since Kppp is old, it's possible that the configs are still in ~/.kde --
> again, you can look in Dolphin and Kate to see what's there. All newer
> applications put configs in ~/.config and a few in ~/.local . All files in
> your $HOME are editable by you, and do not (and should never) be used with
> sudo.
>
> If you cloned your old info, you should be able to see your old config file
> somewhere in ~/.kde . Config files are just text, so you can just copy the
> old over and it will generally work.
>
> Just a warning - Kppp is not maintained anymore, because nobody ported it
> to KDE Frameworks. Of course the code is still available in various places,
> and it's not yet been removed from the Ubuntu archive, but it eventually
> will be, because KDElibs are no longer supported (so-called KDE4).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Valorie
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her

Re: Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

ray burke
Valorie,
So I should put in terminal-
"rayburke@rayburke:~$ $HOME/rayburke/.kde"
is this the rite way to do things as confused about typing in the rite way,
attached is what I got when followed your precious instructions?

kppprc-kate (10-10-2019) (1K) Download Attachment
Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 (238 bytes) Download Attachment

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Valorie,
So I should put in terminal-
"rayburke@rayburke:~$ $HOME/rayburke/.kde"

Nope. Please check this stuff out in Dolphin so you can see what you are working with. The "path/to/file" here is either ~/.kde or /home/rayburke/.kde if you want to type it all out. "~/" is short for /home/username.
is this the rite way to do things as confused about typing in the rite way,
attached is what I got when followed your precious instructions?

Ray

Once you have inspected the files using Dolphin and Kate, then you will know what file you want to change in nano. I find nano hard to use, so want to know *exactly* what the correct path and filename is before opening it up.

Valorie

On 10/10/2019, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Valorie in K14.04 dialup 11/10/2019,

After my last email about finding out how to bring up Kppprc thru dolphin,
I connected K18.04.4 and booted up then I did the
/home/rayburke30/.kde/share/config/
in dolphin and with that selected/kppprc/ of which I saved in
documents see attached-
"kppp config dolphin and Kppprc kate in K18.04.3"

so again the thing I see the isp name being DoDo \s + 3 lastm lines in
the Kppprc?

Ray

kppprc kate in K18.04.3(11-10-2019) (1K) Download Attachment
Kppp config dolphin(11-10-2019).png (127K) Download Attachment

Re: Kppp fig files for K18.04.3 for dialup

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi again Ray,

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 9:27 AM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Valorie in K14.04 dialup 11/10/2019,

After my last email about finding out how to bring up Kppprc thru dolphin,
I connected K18.04.4 and booted up then I did the
/home/rayburke30/.kde/share/config/
in dolphin and with that selected/kppprc/ of which I saved in
documents see attached-
"kppp config dolphin and Kppprc kate in K18.04.3"

Yes, it looks like you found one of the files you are looking for. Did you edit the kpppprc file? If so, you want to save it (over-write the old one) with the same name and in the same place.

so again the thing I see the isp name being DoDo \s + 3 lastm lines in
the Kppprc?

Ray

What is the actual name of your ISP? The the \ is an unacceptable character in Linux, because "Backslash tells shell to ignore the next character. You have to enclose file name in single quote" according to https://www.tecmint.com/manage-linux-filenames-with-special-characters/

Because \ tells your computer to ignore the s at the end, it's possible that the ISP is not being correctly transmitted by KPPP. If it actually is named DoDos, then that is how it should be in that RC file. If it is actually DoDo \s, then edit the RC file to make it 'DoDo \s' - see the single quotes? That might fix it. Once you have edited the file, save it with the same name and in the same folder, and try dialing up again.

Valorie

On 11/10/2019, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Valorie,
>> So I should put in terminal-
>> "rayburke@rayburke:~$ $HOME/rayburke/.kde"
>>

> Nope. Please check this stuff out in Dolphin so you can see what you are
> working with. The "path/to/file" here is either ~/.kde or
> /home/rayburke/.kde if you want to type it all out. "~/" is short for
> /home/username.
>
>> is this the rite way to do things as confused about typing in the rite
>> way,
>> attached is what I got when followed your precious instructions?
>>
>> Ray
>>

> Once you have inspected the files using Dolphin and Kate, then you will
> know what file you want to change in nano. I find nano hard to use, so want
> to know *exactly* what the correct path and filename is before opening it
> up.
>
> Valorie

The ISP name is DoDo

I have think that I over written that kppprc but still having problems
with permission denied
for etc/ppp/pap-secrets? not sure what to do, but if I cant get Kppp
to go can I use
gnome ppp (red little phone) as I think it detects the ttys1 modem?

Ray

On 14/10/2019, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again Ray,
>
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 9:27 AM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Valorie in K14.04 dialup 11/10/2019,
>>
>> After my last email about finding out how to bring up Kppprc thru
>> dolphin,
>> I connected K18.04.4 and booted up then I did the
>> /home/rayburke30/.kde/share/config/
>> in dolphin and with that selected/kppprc/ of which I saved in
>> documents see attached-
>> "kppp config dolphin and Kppprc kate in K18.04.3"
>>

> Yes, it looks like you found one of the files you are looking for. Did you
> edit the kpppprc file? If so, you want to save it (over-write the old one)
> with the same name and in the same place.
>
> so again the thing I see the isp name being DoDo \s + 3 lastm lines in
>> the Kppprc?
>>
>> Ray
>>

> What is the actual name of your ISP? The the \ is an unacceptable character
> in Linux, because "Backslash tells shell to ignore the next character. You
> have to enclose file name in single quote" according to
> https://www.tecmint.com/manage-linux-filenames-with-special-characters/.
>
> Because \ tells your computer to ignore the s at the end, it's possible
> that the ISP is not being correctly transmitted by KPPP. If it actually is
> named DoDos, then that is how it should be in that RC file. If it is
> actually DoDo \s, then edit the RC file to make it 'DoDo \s' - see the
> single quotes? That might fix it. Once you have edited the file, save it
> with the same name and in the same folder, and try dialing up again.
>
> Valorie

>> > Nope. Please check this stuff out in Dolphin so you can see what you
>> > are
>> > working with. The "path/to/file" here is either ~/.kde or
>> > /home/rayburke/.kde if you want to type it all out. "~/" is short for
>> > /home/username.

>> > Once you have inspected the files using Dolphin and Kate, then you will
>> > know what file you want to change in nano. I find nano hard to use, so
>> want
>> > to know *exactly* what the correct path and filename is before opening
>> > it
>> > up.
>> >
>> > Valorie

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:55 PM ray burke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Valorie in k14.04,

The ISP name is DoDo

So make sure that is correct in the rc file in your home.

I have think that I over written that kppprc but still having problems
with permission denied
for etc/ppp/pap-secrets? not sure what to do, but if I cant get Kppp
to go can I use
gnome ppp (red little phone) as I think it detects the ttys1 modem?

Ray

for this one you have to use:

sudo nano etc/ppp/pap-secrets

since a regular user can't edit that without sudo. It's good that there is an alternative dialer that you can use if this is unsuccessful.

Best of luck,

Valorie