Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
Thank you for reading this.

Eighteen months ago I cloned a small SSD to a larger one using
Clonzilla. Only because I wanted to keep Windows 7 on my dual boot
laptop and I didn't have the original Windows installation disk.
Everything was good except I couldn't reboot either from Windows or
Kububtu. Instead the Intel Boot Agent displays a list of boot devices
and the SSD isn't on that list.

So, after growing tired of powering down and then up again (because
reboot didn't work) I upgraded to Windows 10 and did a fresh install of
Kubuntu 20.04. Windows 10 will reboot and Kubuntu did initially until I
restored my home directory. Something in the restored files is
preventing a reboot. I renamed .kde but that is not the problem.

Can anyone suggest why Kubuntu won't reboot?

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Donatas G.
No idea why, but just in case, you can reboot using command
sudo reboot
In console, or switch to the second virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to initiate reboot sequence without entering the password.

Of course in that case the session (open programs and documents) does not get saved. You could perhaps also google for a CLI command to save session...

Sincerely

Donatas Glodenis

On 8/5/20 3:40 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> No idea why, but just in case, you can reboot using command
> sudo reboot
> In console, or switch to the second virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and
> hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to initiate reboot sequence without entering the
> password.
>
> Of course in that case the session (open programs and documents) does
> not get saved. You could perhaps also google for a CLI command to save
> session...

Thank you Donatas, I'll give that a try.

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 8/5/20 3:40 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> No idea why, but just in case, you can reboot using command
> sudo reboot

That didn't help, thanks anyway.

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Donatas G.

2020 m. gegužės 8 d., penktadienis 09:31:20 EEST Phil rašė:

> On 8/5/20 3:40 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> > No idea why, but just in case, you can reboot using command

> > sudo reboot

> That didn't help, thanks anyway.

Hey, that sounds strange. Did you launch the command from Konsole (or another command line tool) window (that is the only way to do it)? Could you paste here what the output was after you entered that command?

By the way, here are instructions on how to manually save Kubuntu session before forced reboot:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/633318/save-session-settings-in-kde-environment-without-shutting-down

Donatas

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 8/5/20 4:07 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:

> Hey, that sounds strange. Did you launch the command from Konsole

sudo reboot in the Konsole.

There isn't an error messages. The laptop simply won't reboot and
instead the Intel Boot Agent displays a list without the SSD. As I say,
reboots under Windows work but not under Kubuntu.

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Donatas G.
2020 m. gegužės 8 d., penktadienis 09:44:20 EEST Phil rašė:
> On 8/5/20 4:07 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:
> > Hey, that sounds strange. Did you launch the command from Konsole
>
> sudo reboot in the Konsole.
>
> There isn't an error messages. The laptop simply won't reboot and
> instead the Intel Boot Agent displays a list without the SSD. As I say,
> reboots under Windows work but not under Kubuntu.

So, what you mean is, the laptop goes through the shutdown sequence, but does
not start correctly (does not display the Grub boot menu)? But it does start
correctly (does display the Grub boot menu), if you shut it down and then
press the power button?

--

Donatas

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 8/5/20 5:29 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:

> 2020 m. gegužės 8 d., penktadienis 09:44:20 EEST Phil rašė:
>> On 8/5/20 4:07 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:
>>> Hey, that sounds strange. Did you launch the command from Konsole
>> sudo reboot in the Konsole.
>>
>> There isn't an error messages. The laptop simply won't reboot and
>> instead the Intel Boot Agent displays a list without the SSD. As I say,
>> reboots under Windows work but not under Kubuntu.
> So, what you mean is, the laptop goes through the shutdown sequence, but does
> not start correctly (does not display the Grub boot menu)?
Yes, instead of displaying the Grub menu Intel Boot Agent is displayed.
There is a pause, which I assume means that the laptop is trying to find
a boot disc. A list of two devices is then displayed, the boot disk
(SSD) is not on that list.
>   But it does start
> correctly (does display the Grub boot menu), if you shut it down and then
> press the power button?

Yes, that is correct. Initially after I completed a fresh installation
the laptop did reboot correctly. The problem only reoccurred after I
restored my home directory backup files. It would seem that I have
restored the very file that caused the problem in the first place, but
which file?

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Donatas G.
2020 m. gegužės 8 d., penktadienis 11:21:34 EEST Phil rašė:

> On 8/5/20 5:29 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:
> > 2020 m. gegužės 8 d., penktadienis 09:44:20 EEST Phil rašė:
> >>
> >> sudo reboot in the Konsole.
> >>
> >> There isn't an error messages. The laptop simply won't reboot and
> >> instead the Intel Boot Agent displays a list without the SSD. As I say,
> >> reboots under Windows work but not under Kubuntu.
> >
> > So, what you mean is, the laptop goes through the shutdown sequence, but
> > does not start correctly (does not display the Grub boot menu)?
>
> Yes, instead of displaying the Grub menu Intel Boot Agent is displayed.
> There is a pause, which I assume means that the laptop is trying to find
> a boot disc. A list of two devices is then displayed, the boot disk
> (SSD) is not on that list.
>
> >   But it does start
> > correctly (does display the Grub boot menu), if you shut it down and then
> > press the power button?
>
> Yes, that is correct. Initially after I completed a fresh installation
> the laptop did reboot correctly. The problem only reoccurred after I
> restored my home directory backup files. It would seem that I have
> restored the very file that caused the problem in the first place, but
> which file?

Well, i have finally understood what the problem is. I have no idea which file
could be causing it, it is kind of hard to imagine a problem like that could
have a cause in one of the user's files....

You could try renaming ~/.local/share directory, as currently a lot of KDE
settings reside there. But I cannot promise you will not encounter new
problems after that...

Donatas

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 8/5/20 6:01 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:
> Well, i have finally understood what the problem is. I have no idea
> which file
> could be causing it, it is kind of hard to imagine a problem like that could
> have a cause in one of the user's files....
>
> You could try renaming ~/.local/share directory, as currently a lot of KDE
> settings reside there. But I cannot promise you will not encounter new
> problems after that...

I did rename .kde because I remember that curing a problem many years
ago. I will rename my .local directory which contains many files.

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Anthony Stevens
I reported this bug in Launchpad back on April 9th.

There doesn't appear to be any followup, since then.
Anyone who is experiencing this should add a comment to launchpad.
I can't believe only two of us have this issue.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 4:38 AM Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/5/20 6:01 pm, Donatas Glodenis wrote:
> Well, i have finally understood what the problem is. I have no idea
> which file
> could be causing it, it is kind of hard to imagine a problem like that could
> have a cause in one of the user's files....
>
> You could try renaming ~/.local/share directory, as currently a lot of KDE
> settings reside there. But I cannot promise you will not encounter new
> problems after that...

I did rename .kde because I remember that curing a problem many years
ago. I will rename my .local directory which contains many files.

Phil

Anthony Stevens
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
http://postorbitallibrary.com/

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 8/5/20 9:01 pm, Anthony Stevens wrote:
> I reported this bug in Launchpad back on April 9th.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1871948
>
> There doesn't appear to be any followup, since then.
> Anyone who is experiencing this should add a comment to launchpad.
> I can't believe only two of us have this issue.

Thank you for your reply Anthony, I was considering doing another fresh
installation. I'll wait and see if a cure is released.

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Valorie Zimmerman
On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:11 PM Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you for reading this.

Eighteen months ago I cloned a small SSD to a larger one using
Clonzilla. Only because I wanted to keep Windows 7 on my dual boot
laptop and I didn't have the original Windows installation disk.
Everything was good except I couldn't reboot either from Windows or
Kububtu. Instead the Intel Boot Agent displays a list of boot devices
and the SSD isn't on that list.

So, after growing tired of powering down and then up again (because
reboot didn't work) I upgraded to Windows 10 and did a fresh install of
Kubuntu 20.04. Windows 10 will reboot and Kubuntu did initially until I
restored my home directory. Something in the restored files is
preventing a reboot. I renamed .kde but that is not the problem.

Can anyone suggest why Kubuntu won't reboot?

Phil

The .kde file hasn't been used for years, unless you have some very old KDE software.

Did you run update-grub after adding your ~/$HOME ? More about that here: https://itsfoss.com/update-grub/

Valorie

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 9/5/20 3:18 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

Thank you Valorie for your reply.

> The .kde file hasn't been used for years, unless you have some very
> old KDE software.
I noticed the the .kde directory for 20.04 only has one file in it. Do
you think it would be best for me to only have the new .kde directory
and not my old .kde directory which contains lots of files?

> Did you run /update-grub/ after adding your ~/$HOME ?

I hadn't until you mentioned it, but it didn't help, I still cannot reboot.

Phil

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Valorie Zimmerman
On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:13 AM Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/5/20 3:18 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

Thank you Valorie for your reply.

> The .kde file hasn't been used for years, unless you have some very
> old KDE software.
I noticed the the .kde directory for 20.04 only has one file in it. Do
you think it would be best for me to only have the new .kde directory
and not my old .kde directory which contains lots of files?

> Did you run /update-grub/ after adding your ~/$HOME ?

I hadn't until you mentioned it, but it didn't help, I still cannot reboot.

Phil

I'm no expert here, so I hope someone else speaks up. I don't think there is anything wrong with the files in your ~/home. I think perhaps it is the way you added it. The usual way if you want to preserve your home is to put it in its own partition. The problem, as you have discovered, is that some files, especially configuration files, can get old or even corrupted.

Best practice if you do not want to partition off a separate home, is to move the *data* you want into your new fresh home. I always back up the old configs, etc. just in case I need them for something, but mostly what I want is my music, documents, photos, ebooks, etc. So that's what I back up, and that's what I copy over to a new install. If you want to move back a config file -- such as I do for Konversation, I move just the konversation configs, not all of ~/.config. rsync makes it rather fast and easy to make backups, and to copy into the new home as well.

I never bother with the separate partition, first because I'm always afraid I will mess it up, and second because copying from backups is fast and easy.

Valorie

Re: Kububtu won't reboot

Phil-2
On 9/5/20 4:59 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> I'm no expert here, so I hope someone else speaks up. I don't think
> there is anything wrong with the files in your ~/home. I think perhaps
> it is the way you added it.
That must be it because I could reboot until I copied my backup files
into my newly created home directory, I was careful not to mess up any
new config files with my old ones but I could have.
> The usual way if you want to preserve your home is to put it in its
> own partition.

I always used to have a separate home directory until I read that it was
no longer necessary. I've used most of my monthly Internet allowance
installing Windows 10 and Kubuntu (twice) so I'd rather not do another
fresh installation again. The question is, how do I correct the problem
that I seem to have created?

Phil

Re: dual boot ?

Accessys@smart.net

been a while since I helped someone set up a computer to dual boot.

brain is having a hard disk seek error

I have partition magic (8.0)
and Kubuntu 18.4 (which is what they want)

they have their windoze disk.

I know windoze has to go on first but is that before or after
partitioning??

thanks
Bob

Re: dual boot ?

José Queiroz
Hi Bob,

Is dual boot a requirement? Setting off a Virtual Machine can be much easer, and gives almost the same results.
The main beneficts are that you don't need repartitioning at all, and may have both systems available at same time.

Em qua., 20 de mai. de 2020 às 18:34, Bob <[hidden email]> escreveu:

been a while since I helped someone set up a computer to dual boot.

brain is having a hard disk seek error

I have partition magic (8.0)
and Kubuntu 18.4 (which is what they want)

they have their windoze disk.

I know windoze has to go on first but is that before or after
partitioning??

thanks
Bob

Re: dual boot ?

Dave Nelson (dave@dalek.zone)
Are you partitioning for Windows and Linux on the same drive, or Windows
on one drive and Linux on the other? In any case, you need to install
Windows first, as you said. If you want both operating systems on the
same drive, then you want to partition the drive before installing
Windows, because Windows will simply suggest using the entire drive.
Only Ubuntu/Kubuntu gives you the ability to partition any way you want.

HTH.

---
All the best,

Dave

On 2020-05-21 00:34, Bob wrote:

> been a while since I helped someone set up a computer to dual boot.
>
> brain is having a hard disk seek error
>

> I have partition magic (8.0)
> and Kubuntu 18.4 (which is what they want)
>
> they have their windoze disk.
>
> I know windoze has to go on first but is that before or after
> partitioning??
>
> thanks
> Bob

0xA4FB3059.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: dual boot ?

Accessys@smart.net

is an older computer so it only has room for one drive, hopefully getting
a new larger drive to fit the slot.
   person using computer is not likely to be able to use a virtual drive
want to keep it simple for them.

thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected was the route to follow.

thanks
Bob

On Thu, 21 May 2020, Dave Nelson ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Are you partitioning for Windows and Linux on the same drive, or Windows on
> one drive and Linux on the other? In any case, you need to install Windows
> first, as you said. If you want both operating systems on the same drive,
> then you want to partition the drive before installing Windows, because
> Windows will simply suggest using the entire drive. Only Ubuntu/Kubuntu gives
> you the ability to partition any way you want.
>
> HTH.
>
> ---
> All the best,
>
> Dave
>
> On 2020-05-21 00:34, Bob wrote:
>> been a while since I helped someone set up a computer to dual boot.
>>
>> brain is having a hard disk seek error
>>

>> I have partition magic (8.0)
>> and Kubuntu 18.4 (which is what they want)
>>
>> they have their windoze disk.
>>
>> I know windoze has to go on first but is that before or after
>> partitioning??
>>
>> thanks
>> Bob

0xA4FB3059.asc (3K) Download Attachment