Quantcast

Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

Mark Fraser-2
Further to my earlier email about not being able to enable the Nvidia drivers,
here is what jockey-text reports for a machine running 12.10 and one running
12.04:

12.10
kmod:nvidia_experimental_304 - Experimental NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel
module and VDPAU library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
kmod:nvidia_current - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU
library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
kmod:nvidia_current_updates - nvidia_current_updates (Proprietary, Enabled,
Not in use)

12.04
xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary,
Disabled, Not in use)
xorg:nvidia_current_updates - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release
updates) (Proprietary, Enabled, In use)
xorg:nvidia_experimental_304 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
(**experimental** beta) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
xorg:nvidia_experimental_310 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
(**experimental** beta) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)

I have tried running sudo jockey-kde -e kmod:nvidia_current_updates, but the
status doesn't change.

GH

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

GH
Don't use jockey use supplementary drivers and choose experimental

On Tuesday 06 Nov 2012 16:31:40 Girard Henri wrote:

> Le 06/11/2012 10:25, Mark Fraser a écrit :
> > Further to my earlier email about not being able to enable the Nvidia
> > drivers, here is what jockey-text reports for a machine running 12.10 and
> > one running 12.04:
> >
> > 12.10
> > kmod:nvidia_experimental_304 - Experimental NVIDIA binary Xorg driver,
> > kernel module and VDPAU library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> > kmod:nvidia_current - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU
> > library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> > kmod:nvidia_current_updates - nvidia_current_updates (Proprietary,
> > Enabled,
> > Not in use)
> >
> > 12.04
> > xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary,
> > Disabled, Not in use)
> > xorg:nvidia_current_updates - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
> > (post-release updates) (Proprietary, Enabled, In use)
> > xorg:nvidia_experimental_304 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
> > (**experimental** beta) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> > xorg:nvidia_experimental_310 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
> > (**experimental** beta) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> >
> > I have tried running sudo jockey-kde -e kmod:nvidia_current_updates, but
> > the status doesn't change.

> Don't use jockey use supplementary drivers and choose experimental

I can't find anywhere that says supplementary drivers. Where am I supposed to
be looking?

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

Leslie Anne Chatterton

Go to:

Start (the "K" menu), System, Additional drivers. Its called "additional", not "supplementary", but it is the same thing... "a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" (with apologies to Wm. Shakespeare).

GH

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

GH
Sorry my ubuntu is in french and I didn't give enaugh details !
But Leslie did it perfectly thanks :)

Le 07/11/2012 18:27, Leslie Anne Chatterton a écrit :

Go to:

Start (the "K" menu), System, Additional drivers. Its called "additional", not "supplementary", but it is the same thing... "a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" (with apologies to Wm. Shakespeare).

On Nov 7, 2012 3:36 AM, "Mark Fraser" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 06 Nov 2012 16:31:40 Girard Henri wrote:

> Le 06/11/2012 10:25, Mark Fraser a écrit :
> > Further to my earlier email about not being able to enable the Nvidia
> > drivers, here is what jockey-text reports for a machine running 12.10 and
> > one running 12.04:
> >
> > 12.10
> > kmod:nvidia_experimental_304 - Experimental NVIDIA binary Xorg driver,
> > kernel module and VDPAU library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> > kmod:nvidia_current - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU
> > library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> > kmod:nvidia_current_updates - nvidia_current_updates (Proprietary,
> > Enabled,
> > Not in use)
> >
> > 12.04
> > xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary,
> > Disabled, Not in use)
> > xorg:nvidia_current_updates - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
> > (post-release updates) (Proprietary, Enabled, In use)
> > xorg:nvidia_experimental_304 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
> > (**experimental** beta) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> > xorg:nvidia_experimental_310 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver
> > (**experimental** beta) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
> >
> > I have tried running sudo jockey-kde -e kmod:nvidia_current_updates, but
> > the status doesn't change.

> Don't use jockey use supplementary drivers and choose experimental

I can't find anywhere that says supplementary drivers. Where am I supposed to
be looking?

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

Leslie Anne Chatterton

Good to hear your problem is solved.

Bonne chance mon Ami (with apologies to Mml. Smeaton who tried, and failed, to teach me French!)

On Wednesday 07 Nov 2012 12:27:56 Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:
> Go to:
>
> Start (the "K" menu), System, Additional drivers. Its called "additional",
> not "supplementary", but it is the same thing... "a rose by any other name
> would still smell as sweet" (with apologies to Wm. Shakespeare).

That is just loading jockey-kde which is telling me the same thing, that the
driver is installed, but not enabled.

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

Leslie Anne Chatterton

Doesn't it give you a button to enable it? Try removing and re-installing.

On 7 November 2012 17:25, Mark Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 07 Nov 2012 12:27:56 Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:
> Go to:
>
> Start (the "K" menu), System, Additional drivers. Its called "additional",
> not "supplementary", but it is the same thing... "a rose by any other name
> would still smell as sweet" (with apologies to Wm. Shakespeare).

That is just loading jockey-kde which is telling me the same thing, that the
driver is installed, but not enabled.

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Nvidia drivers

Mark Greenwood-2

> Doesn't it give you a button to enable it? Try removing and re-installing.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1 linux-headers-generic

jockey-kde has never been reliable for me.

Mark.

On Wednesday 07 Nov 2012 22:44:48 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > Doesn't it give you a button to enable it? Try removing and re-installing.
>
> sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1
> linux-headers-generic

All of those packages are at the current version.

> jockey-kde has never been reliable for me.

It has worked in the past, but broke in 11.10, got fixed in 12.04 and is now
broken again.

On Thursday 08 Nov 2012 10:49:05 Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 Nov 2012 22:44:48 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > > Doesn't it give you a button to enable it? Try removing and re-installing.
> >
> > sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1
> > linux-headers-generic
>
> All of those packages are at the current version.
>
> > jockey-kde has never been reliable for me.
>
> It has worked in the past, but broke in 11.10, got fixed in 12.04 and is now
> broken again.

OK Imissed the start of this thread. What makes you think it isn't working?
Try cat /proc/interrupts
If one of the interrupts has 'nvidia' next to it, then it is running.
What happens if you type
'modinfo nvidia-current'?

If that doesn't give you anything, remove and reinstall the above packages, but also install dkms, to make sure.

Mark

On Thursday 08 Nov 2012 10:56:30 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > > sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1
> > > linux-headers-generic
> >
> > All of those packages are at the current version.
> >
> > > jockey-kde has never been reliable for me.
> >
> > It has worked in the past, but broke in 11.10, got fixed in 12.04 and is
> > now broken again.
>
> OK Imissed the start of this thread. What makes you think it isn't working?

Jockey is saying that:
kmod:nvidia_current_updates - nvidia_current_updates (Proprietary, Enabled,
Not in use)

> Try cat /proc/interrupts

16: 4101 1241079 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb5, firewire_ohci,
snd_hda_intel, nvidia

> If one of the interrupts has 'nvidia' next to it, then it is running.
> What happens if you type
> 'modinfo nvidia-current'?

modinfo nvidia-current-updates
filename: /lib/modules/3.5.0-18-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia_current_updates.ko
alias:          char-major-195-*
version:        304.51
supported:      external
license:        NVIDIA

On Thursday 08 Nov 2012 11:12:33 Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Thursday 08 Nov 2012 10:56:30 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > > All of those packages are at the current version.

> > > It has worked in the past, but broke in 11.10, got fixed in 12.04 and is
> > > now broken again.
> >
> > OK Imissed the start of this thread. What makes you think it isn't working?
>
> Jockey is saying that:
> kmod:nvidia_current_updates - nvidia_current_updates (Proprietary, Enabled,
> Not in use)
>
> > Try cat /proc/interrupts
>
> 16: 4101 1241079 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb5, firewire_ohci,
> snd_hda_intel, nvidia
>

> > If one of the interrupts has 'nvidia' next to it, then it is running.
> > What happens if you type
> > 'modinfo nvidia-current'?
>
> modinfo nvidia-current-updates
> filename: /lib/modules/3.5.0-18-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia_current_updates.ko
> alias:          char-major-195-*
> version:        304.51
> supported:      external
> license:        NVIDIA

On the basis of all that, jockey is lying :) If you run nvidia-settings it will tell you the version of the driver in use. If you're not running the nvidia driver, nvidia-settings won't start, or will throw an error. I'd trust that over anything jockey says.

The final thing to convince yourself it's working is to do 'lspci -k'. This will tell you the kernel module in use for all your hardware. Mine looks like this:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 330M] (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c06a
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia_current, nouveau, nvidiafb

If it says nvidia is the kernel driver in use, then it is all working. You can also look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, which will tell you (in amongst a whole load of stuff) which xorg driver is being loaded.

HTH

Mark