Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi folks, I'm sure most of you have heard by now, but just in case:
Kubuntu 16.10 has been released, along with all flavors of Ubuntu.

The official announcement:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/yakkety-updates/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/ReleaseAnnouncement.html

We've got an announcement on the website as well:
https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-16-10-released/

Our step-by-step about installing and upgrading lacks some
screenshots. Please feel free to help out there if you can:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/YakketyUpgrades/Kubuntu

If you want to seed the torrents, the easiest way is to start here:
http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

Remember as always to report your bugs. The easiest way is in the
commandline: `ubuntu-bug packagename`

All the best,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Luca Olivetti
El 14/10/16 a les 06:29, Valorie Zimmerman ha escrit:

> Our step-by-step about installing and upgrading lacks some
> screenshots. Please feel free to help out there if you can:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/YakketyUpgrades/Kubuntu

there's no such thing as muon-updater in 16.04, it appears it's been
replaced by plasma-discovery-updater

luca@seis:~$ LC_ALL=C dpkg -l muon-updater

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                               Version
Architecture           Description
+++-==================================-======================-======================-==========================================================================
ii  muon-updater                       4:5.6.2-1ubuntu1       all
             Transitional package (muon-updater -> plasma-discover-updater)
luca@seis:~$ LC_ALL=C dpkg -L muon-updater
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/muon-updater
/usr/share/doc/muon-updater/copyright
/usr/share/doc/muon-updater/changelog.Debian.gz

After alt+f2 one should type "plasma-" and select the (localized) update
manager (I think).

Bye
--
Luca

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Verwijs1969

almost there... installation went fine, (10-12 iso image)
only boot sector is being written incorrectly keep hanging on my PC BIOS..
also tried with Debian 8(.6)  no problems there...

i will try to generate log files...
thanks

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Valorie Zimmerman
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:46 PM, Luca Olivetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El 14/10/16 a les 06:29, Valorie Zimmerman ha escrit:
>

>> Our step-by-step about installing and upgrading lacks some
>> screenshots. Please feel free to help out there if you can:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/YakketyUpgrades/Kubuntu
>

> there's no such thing as muon-updater in 16.04, it appears it's been
> replaced by plasma-discovery-updater

Fixed, thank you. -v

> luca@seis:~$ LC_ALL=C dpkg -l muon-updater
> |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                               Version Architecture
> Description
> +++-==================================-======================-======================-==========================================================================
> ii  muon-updater                       4:5.6.2-1ubuntu1       all
> Transitional package (muon-updater -> plasma-discover-updater)
> luca@seis:~$ LC_ALL=C dpkg -L muon-updater
> /.
> /usr
> /usr/share
> /usr/share/doc
> /usr/share/doc/muon-updater
> /usr/share/doc/muon-updater/copyright
> /usr/share/doc/muon-updater/changelog.Debian.gz
>

> After alt+f2 one should type "plasma-" and select the (localized) update
> manager (I think).
>
> Bye
> --
> Luca

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 14/10/16 15:29, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> Hi folks, I'm sure most of you have heard by now, but just in case:
> Kubuntu 16.10 has been released, along with all flavors of Ubuntu.
>
> The official announcement:
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/yakkety-updates/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/ReleaseAnnouncement.html
>
> We've got an announcement on the website as well:
> https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-16-10-released/
>
> Our step-by-step about installing and upgrading lacks some
> screenshots. Please feel free to help out there if you can:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/YakketyUpgrades/Kubuntu
>
> If you want to seed the torrents, the easiest way is to start here:
> http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/
>
> Remember as always to report your bugs. The easiest way is in the
> commandline: `ubuntu-bug packagename`
>
> All the best,
>
> Valorie

Hi,
     I have Kubuntu 16.04 LTS installed (that was installed from scratch
on a new system) and tried to upgrade using the instructions in your
third link above. The problem I have is that neither Muon nor
Plasma-Discovery have the options specified in the screen shots to
invoke the configuration settings. The only way I could find on my
system to change the update settings back to "normal" was to use the
update setting options in Synaptic and to set those to "Any version".
Having done this Plasma-Discovery then prompted to do an upgrade, but
when I clicked on the upgrade button it did nothing. The only way I
could find to actually upgrade was to issue a 'sudo do-release-upgrade'
from a shell, which then proceeded to undertake the upgrade (before
switching to "Any Version" in Synaptic this command returned the message
that there were No Releases Available).
     Having done the upgrade the system quite happily booted to the
Lightdm display manager, but was then not able to start Unity, Plasma or
Gnome. Gnome and Unity both produced a garbled graphic display and
immediately dropped back to Lightdm. Plasma produced 'Internal System
Error' messages and when I clicked on 'Details' it said that it was
/user/bin/Kwin_X11 that was failing, and, if I click on 'Ignore all
future messages of this type', used ctrl+alt+delete to drop back to
Lightdm, and restarted Plasma it produced the same failure message, but
this time is was in /usr/bin/compiz. I'm probably not surprised that
Compiz had issues as I thought it required an accelerated video driver,
and, from the display I was getting it looked like the Nvidia
proprietary driver I had installed in 16.04 had been removed by the
upgrade and it could not be reinstalled as it appeared that the
repositories did not have the necessary component to allow a reinstall.
     How do I now downgrade to 16.04, or do I need to wipe the root,
boot and home partitions and re-install 16.04 from scratch, or can I
download a 16.10 ISO that I can burn to DVD and do a fresh/clean install
from that?

regards,
Steve

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Valorie Zimmerman
Removing the -devel list since this is a support question.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Stephen Morris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/10/16 15:29, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks, I'm sure most of you have heard by now, but just in case:
>> Kubuntu 16.10 has been released, along with all flavors of Ubuntu.
>>
>> The official announcement:
>>
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/yakkety-updates/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/ReleaseAnnouncement.html
>>
>> We've got an announcement on the website as well:
>> https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-16-10-released/
>>
>> Our step-by-step about installing and upgrading lacks some
>> screenshots. Please feel free to help out there if you can:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/YakketyUpgrades/Kubuntu
>>
>> If you want to seed the torrents, the easiest way is to start here:
>> http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/
>>
>> Remember as always to report your bugs. The easiest way is in the
>> commandline: `ubuntu-bug packagename`
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Valorie
>>
> Hi,
>     I have Kubuntu 16.04 LTS installed (that was installed from scratch on a
> new system) and tried to upgrade using the instructions in your third link
> above. The problem I have is that neither Muon nor Plasma-Discovery have the
> options specified in the screen shots to invoke the configuration settings.
> The only way I could find on my system to change the update settings back to
> "normal" was to use the update setting options in Synaptic and to set those
> to "Any version". Having done this Plasma-Discovery then prompted to do an
> upgrade, but when I clicked on the upgrade button it did nothing. The only
> way I could find to actually upgrade was to issue a 'sudo
> do-release-upgrade' from a shell, which then proceeded to undertake the
> upgrade (before switching to "Any Version" in Synaptic this command returned
> the message that there were No Releases Available).

That should work, yes.

>     Having done the upgrade the system quite happily booted to the Lightdm
> display manager, but was then not able to start Unity, Plasma or Gnome.
> Gnome and Unity both produced a garbled graphic display and immediately
> dropped back to Lightdm. Plasma produced 'Internal System Error' messages
> and when I clicked on 'Details' it said that it was /user/bin/Kwin_X11 that
> was failing, and, if I click on 'Ignore all future messages of this type',
> used ctrl+alt+delete to drop back to Lightdm, and restarted Plasma it
> produced the same failure message, but this time is was in /usr/bin/compiz.
> I'm probably not surprised that Compiz had issues as I thought it required
> an accelerated video driver, and, from the display I was getting it looked
> like the Nvidia proprietary driver I had installed in 16.04 had been removed
> by the upgrade and it could not be reinstalled as it appeared that the
> repositories did not have the necessary component to allow a reinstall.
>     How do I now downgrade to 16.04, or do I need to wipe the root, boot and
> home partitions and re-install 16.04 from scratch, or can I download a 16.10
> ISO that I can burn to DVD and do a fresh/clean install from that?
>
> regards,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

First, downgrade isn't supported.

We haven't used Lightdm for a long time, perhaps two years? We've used
SDDM since then, and that should support booting into both Unity and
GNOME desktops, as well as the Plasma session.

So my advice is: first try removing lightdm and installing sddm, if it
is not installed. From the commandline, you can always check to see
what you have installed with the command apt-cache. Like: `apt-cache
policy lightdm` or `apt-cache policy sddm`. Notice that sudo is not
used with this command, since it only looks up what you have
installed.

Then I would do `sudo apt remove lightdm && sudo apt install sddm`. If
you find that sddm is already installed, instead do: `sudo apt remove
lightdm && sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm`

The reason you want to chain those commands together with "&&" is so
that they work sequentially, and you aren't left with no manager at
all.

When you run into problems, the most useful command is `sudo apt
install -f`. The -f flag stands for fix, and that's what apt will
attempt to do. If you have misconfiguration problems, `sudo
dpkg-reconfigure -a` will try to reconfigure all, and then you can
again try install -f.

It is certainly possible to download the 16.10 ISO and reinstall, but
you will lose your unity and gnome sessions.
https://kubuntu.org/alternative-downloads/

As for the nvidia driver: others will have to answer.

Valorie

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Luca Olivetti
El 21/10/16 a les 00:34, Valorie Zimmerman ha escrit:

>> Having done this Plasma-Discovery then prompted to do an
>> upgrade, but when I clicked on the upgrade button it did nothing. The only
>> way I could find to actually upgrade was to issue a 'sudo
>> do-release-upgrade' from a shell, which then proceeded to undertake the
>> upgrade (before switching to "Any Version" in Synaptic this command returned
>> the message that there were No Releases Available).

This mirrors my experience on one machine (an acer aspire one) where I
installed 16.04 form scratch, while on my main laptop (upgraded from 15
something) the upgrade button worked.

> We haven't used Lightdm for a long time, perhaps two years? We've used
> SDDM since then, and that should support booting into both Unity and
> GNOME desktops, as well as the Plasma session.

IIRC when I upgraded to 16.04 (or was it 15 something? I'm not really
sure) I had a similar issue: the system didn't automatically install
sddm but left the previous, non-functional, display manager.

> As for the nvidia driver: others will have to answer.

No problem[*] here with nvidia, but I had manually installed nvidia-367
prior to the upgrade (in fact I had it installed for a long time).
I know for a fact that it wouldn't automatically upgrade to that version
in 16.04.

[*] apart from some visual artifacts with compositing enabled and some
missing/incomplete letters on the lock screen, but those problems have
always been there.

Bye
--
Luca

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

A. Mani
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The official announcement:
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/yakkety-updates/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/ReleaseAnnouncement.html

I found severe issues with display on AMD64 (kaveri)
scenario fresh install
Initially display was fine except for issues with default compositor.
problems happened after installing other desktops.
switching display managers does not help

Will file a report later

Best

A. Mani

Prof(Miss) A. Mani
CU, ASL, AMS, ISRS, CLC, CMS
HomePage: http://www.logicamani.in
Blog: http://logicamani.blogspot.in/
http://about.me/logicamani
sip:[hidden email]

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 21/10/16 09:34, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> [...]
> what you have installed with the command apt-cache. Like: `apt-cache
> policy lightdm` or `apt-cache policy sddm`. Notice that sudo is not
> used with this command, since it only looks up what you have
> installed.
>
> Then I would do `sudo apt remove lightdm && sudo apt install sddm`. If
> you find that sddm is already installed, instead do: `sudo apt remove
> lightdm && sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm`
>
> The reason you want to chain those commands together with "&&" is so
> that they work sequentially, and you aren't left with no manager at
> all.
>
> When you run into problems, the most useful command is `sudo apt
> install -f`. The -f flag stands for fix, and that's what apt will
> attempt to do. If you have misconfiguration problems, `sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure -a` will try to reconfigure all, and then you can
Thanks Valorie, I'll try the fix commands and see what happens. I would
prefer not to use SDDM because in Ubuntu and the other distribution I
use I have found that it doesn't work properly and I've always used
LightDM for years, ever since Ubuntu standardised on that in preference
to KDM and GDM. In my view the KDE foundation should never have replaced
KDM with SDDM as, in my view, SDDM does not compete, KDM is a
significantly better product.
If the fixes don't rectify the issue (some of my problems could that
there were file conflicts in a number of packages being upgrade in the
process, for example, I think one of the issues was with Plasma-Amity
which wanted to install Amity along with it but there was a file
conflict between the two, so I think Plasma-Amity didn't get installed
because Amity was always installed first) I could always erase the
partitions and reinstall 16.04 LTS from scratch and attempt the upgrade
again after installing synaptic so that I can change the update options,
because the version of Plasma-Discovery in 16.04 LTS (and the version of
Plasma-Discovery in the other distribution i use) does not provide the
dialog boxes shown in your screenshots. The only product I could find
that provided the tabbed dialog (with the Update tab) was Synaptic, but
its version setting was different.

regards,
Steve

> It is certainly possible to download the 16.10 ISO and reinstall, but
> you will lose your unity and gnome sessions.
> https://kubuntu.org/alternative-downloads/
>
> As for the nvidia driver: others will have to answer.
>
> Valorie

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Valorie Zimmerman
Reply inline.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Stephen Morris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> you find that sddm is already installed, instead do: `sudo apt remove
>> lightdm && sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm`
>>
>> The reason you want to chain those commands together with "&&" is so
>> that they work sequentially, and you aren't left with no manager at
>> all.
>>
>> When you run into problems, the most useful command is `sudo apt
>> install -f`. The -f flag stands for fix, and that's what apt will
>> attempt to do. If you have misconfiguration problems, `sudo
>> dpkg-reconfigure -a` will try to reconfigure all, and then you can
>> again try install -f.
>
> Thanks Valorie, I'll try the fix commands and see what happens. I would
> prefer not to use SDDM because in Ubuntu and the other distribution I use I
> have found that it doesn't work properly and I've always used LightDM for
> years, ever since Ubuntu standardised on that in preference to KDM and GDM.

It did work well in the few years we used it, yes.

> In my view the KDE foundation should never have replaced KDM with SDDM as,
> in my view, SDDM does not compete, KDM is a significantly better product.

The KDE e.V. has no say in software choice, or programming decisions.
What happened is that KDM stopped being developed. LightDM is owned by
Canonical, rather than being entirely Free Software. KDE devels were
not willing to sign the required documents to be allowed to work on
LightDM, which left SDDM as the only alternative.

> If the fixes don't rectify the issue (some of my problems could that there
> were file conflicts in a number of packages being upgrade in the process,
> for example, I think one of the issues was with Plasma-Amity which wanted to
> install Amity along with it but there was a file conflict between the two,
> so I think Plasma-Amity didn't get installed because Amity was always
> installed first) I could always erase the partitions and reinstall 16.04 LTS
> from scratch and attempt the upgrade again after installing synaptic so that
> I can change the update options, because the version of Plasma-Discovery in
> 16.04 LTS (and the version of Plasma-Discovery in the other distribution i
> use) does not provide the dialog boxes shown in your screenshots. The only
> product I could find that provided the tabbed dialog (with the Update tab)
> was Synaptic, but its version setting was different.

I have no clue what Plasma-Amity is, but I'm glad you found a way to
do what you want.

> regards,
> Steve
>

>> It is certainly possible to download the 16.10 ISO and reinstall, but
>> you will lose your unity and gnome sessions.
>> https://kubuntu.org/alternative-downloads/
>>
>> As for the nvidia driver: others will have to answer.
>>
>> Valorie

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 23/10/16 10:39, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> [...]
>> were file conflicts in a number of packages being upgrade in the process,
>> for example, I think one of the issues was with Plasma-Amity which wanted to
>> install Amity along with it but there was a file conflict between the two,
>> so I think Plasma-Amity didn't get installed because Amity was always
>> installed first) I could always erase the partitions and reinstall 16.04 LTS
>> from scratch and attempt the upgrade again after installing synaptic so that
>> I can change the update options, because the version of Plasma-Discovery in
>> 16.04 LTS (and the version of Plasma-Discovery in the other distribution i
>> use) does not provide the dialog boxes shown in your screenshots. The only
>> product I could find that provided the tabbed dialog (with the Update tab)
>> was Synaptic, but its version setting was different.
> I have no clue what Plasma-Amity is, but I'm glad you found a way to
Thanks Valorie. I had to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04 as 'sudo apt install -f'
did nothing, and, 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure' did not support the '-a'
parameter and without the parameter did nothing.
Having reinstalled 16.04, which only installed Unity, I upgraded to
16.10, which seemed to upgrade fine with Unity still working. I then
proceeded to install Gnome using the gnome package which the description
said was the full Gnome (doing this was the starting point to get my
system back, after getting Gnome installed as set up I will then install
Plasma).
The subsequent boot of Gnome is showing that I may not have all the
necessary packages installed. When I start the Gnome desktop, the Top
Bar has an Activities Menu entry instead of the Applications entry I am
expecting. Clicking on the Activities Menu entry brings up the same
screen as pressing 'Left-super', where from the side bar on the left of
the display I can click on an applicatons button to bring up a 'list' of
the applications installed, but this 'list' is all applications not a
categorized list like the Applications Menu or the Plasma/KDE Launcher
does. Am I missing some packages or is this the way Gnome is meant to
function in Ubuntu?
Once I get the Gnome issues sorted out I'll then install Plasma via the
Plasma package as a starting point to getting Plasma back. I'll query
the multiple entries for Plasma in the Display Manager Options at a
later date if the reinstall puts both back again.

regards,
Steve

>> regards,
>> Steve
>>
>>> It is certainly possible to download the 16.10 ISO and reinstall, but
>>> you will lose your unity and gnome sessions.
>>> https://kubuntu.org/alternative-downloads/
>>>
>>> As for the nvidia driver: others will have to answer.
>>>
>>> Valorie

Xen

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Xen
Stephen Morris schreef op 23-10-2016 23:10:

> Thanks Valorie. I had to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04 as 'sudo apt install
> -f' did nothing, and, 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure' did not support the '-a'
> parameter and without the parameter did nothing.

For what it's worth, I get confused with that too, but it is "dpkg
--configure -a" instead of "dpkg-reconfigure -a".

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 24/10/16 09:41, Xen wrote:
> Stephen Morris schreef op 23-10-2016 23:10:
>
>> Thanks Valorie. I had to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04 as 'sudo apt install
>> -f' did nothing, and, 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure' did not support the '-a'
>> parameter and without the parameter did nothing.
>
> For what it's worth, I get confused with that too, but it is "dpkg
> --configure -a" instead of "dpkg-reconfigure -a".
Thanks Xen, I had no idea what the command was, I was following
instructions.

regards,
Steve

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 24/10/16 08:10, Stephen Morris wrote:

> [...]
> necessary packages installed. When I start the Gnome desktop, the Top
> Bar has an Activities Menu entry instead of the Applications entry I
> am expecting. Clicking on the Activities Menu entry brings up the same
> screen as pressing 'Left-super', where from the side bar on the left
> of the display I can click on an applicatons button to bring up a
> 'list' of the applications installed, but this 'list' is all
> applications not a categorized list like the Applications Menu or the
> Plasma/KDE Launcher does. Am I missing some packages or is this the
> way Gnome is meant to function in Ubuntu?
> Once I get the Gnome issues sorted out I'll then install Plasma via
> the Plasma package as a starting point to getting Plasma back. I'll
> query the multiple entries for Plasma in the Display Manager Options
> at a later date if the reinstall puts both back again.
Just one question relative to Gnome if you are able to answer it. Having
installed the gnome package I now have entries in the Display Manager
menu on the login screen of Gnome, Gnome Classic, Gnome Flashback
(Compiz) and Gnome Flashback (Metacity) all which seem to boot into
Gnome now. Originally Gnome Flashback (Compiz) crashed on first start.
If I boot into any of the last 4 Gnome entries, they all have menu
entries of Applications and Places in the title bar at the top of the
screen, but if I boot with the Gnome entry the title bar at the top of
the screen has the entry Activities, why is this (under Fedora 24 the
Gnome system has Applications in the title bar at the top of the screen)?

Having appearing to have Gnome working I have also installed the Plasma
package which appears to have installed a working version of Plasma
(hence I'm not sure why the upgrade from 16.04 to 16.10 destroyed my
system) and that install has only placed one Plasma entry in the DM
login screen selections. I'll have to monitor what packages I
subsequently install introduces the additional entry.
One gripe I have with Plasma in 16.10 is that the icons on the bottom of
the KDE Launcher, and the icons on the options displayed when selecting
Leave, are all wireframe icons which I don't like. These icons are the
main reason I am looking at moving away from KDE under Fedora, as I
could not find any way of changing them by changing the system theme or
icon theme. Is there no way to get back the nice coloured icons that
were there in 16.04?

regards,
Steve

> regards,
> Steve
>

>>> regards,
>>> Steve

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Valorie Zimmerman
On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Stephen Morris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/10/16 08:10, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>
>> On 23/10/16 10:39, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>>>
>>> Reply inline.

::snip old::

> Just one question relative to Gnome if you are able to answer it. Having
> installed the gnome package I now have entries in the Display Manager menu
> on the login screen of Gnome, Gnome Classic, Gnome Flashback (Compiz) and
> Gnome Flashback (Metacity) all which seem to boot into Gnome now. Originally
> Gnome Flashback (Compiz) crashed on first start. If I boot into any of the
> last 4 Gnome entries, they all have menu entries of Applications and Places
> in the title bar at the top of the screen, but if I boot with the Gnome
> entry the title bar at the top of the screen has the entry Activities, why
> is this (under Fedora 24 the Gnome system has Applications in the title bar
> at the top of the screen)?

No clue about Gnome. I've never used it for more than 5 minutes.

> Having appearing to have Gnome working I have also installed the Plasma
> package which appears to have installed a working version of Plasma (hence
> I'm not sure why the upgrade from 16.04 to 16.10 destroyed my system) and
> that install has only placed one Plasma entry in the DM login screen
> selections. I'll have to monitor what packages I subsequently install
> introduces the additional entry.
> One gripe I have with Plasma in 16.10 is that the icons on the bottom of the
> KDE Launcher, and the icons on the options displayed when selecting Leave,
> are all wireframe icons which I don't like. These icons are the main reason
> I am looking at moving away from KDE under Fedora, as I could not find any
> way of changing them by changing the system theme or icon theme. Is there no
> way to get back the nice coloured icons that were there in 16.04?
>
> regards,
> Steve

That is Breeze. The Oxygen icon set is still available for those who want it.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 03/11/16 12:04, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Stephen Morris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ::snip old::
>
>> Just one question relative to Gnome if you are able to answer it. Having
>> installed the gnome package I now have entries in the Display Manager menu
>> on the login screen of Gnome, Gnome Classic, Gnome Flashback (Compiz) and
>> Gnome Flashback (Metacity) all which seem to boot into Gnome now. Originally
>> Gnome Flashback (Compiz) crashed on first start. If I boot into any of the
>> last 4 Gnome entries, they all have menu entries of Applications and Places
>> in the title bar at the top of the screen, but if I boot with the Gnome
>> entry the title bar at the top of the screen has the entry Activities, why
>> is this (under Fedora 24 the Gnome system has Applications in the title bar
>> at the top of the screen)?
> No clue about Gnome. I've never used it for more than 5 minutes.
>
>> Having appearing to have Gnome working I have also installed the Plasma
>> package which appears to have installed a working version of Plasma (hence
>> I'm not sure why the upgrade from 16.04 to 16.10 destroyed my system) and
>> that install has only placed one Plasma entry in the DM login screen
>> selections. I'll have to monitor what packages I subsequently install
>> introduces the additional entry.
>> One gripe I have with Plasma in 16.10 is that the icons on the bottom of the
>> KDE Launcher, and the icons on the options displayed when selecting Leave,
>> are all wireframe icons which I don't like. These icons are the main reason
>> I am looking at moving away from KDE under Fedora, as I could not find any
>> way of changing them by changing the system theme or icon theme. Is there no
>> way to get back the nice coloured icons that were there in 16.04?
>>
>> regards,
>> Steve
> That is Breeze. The Oxygen icon set is still available for those who want it.
I've applied the Oxygen icon theme which changes the icon theme when
selecting 'Leave' to the coloured icons, but it does not change the row
of icons at the bottom of the launcher (the row that contains 'Leave',
'Application' etc), is it not possible to change these? I have also
found that Fedora is exactly the same with the oxygen theme.

regards,
Steve

> Valorie

Xen

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Xen
Stephen Morris schreef op 06-11-2016 22:05:

> I've applied the Oxygen icon theme which changes the icon theme when
> selecting 'Leave' to the coloured icons, but it does not change the
> row of icons at the bottom of the launcher (the row that contains
> 'Leave', 'Application' etc), is it not possible to change these? I
> have also found that Fedora is exactly the same with the oxygen theme.

Apparently there is only a limited set of themes that will apply the
Oxygen icon set but this has been so since 15.04. However perhaps it is
possible to go into the theme settings itself and explicitly select the
Oxygen icons for the various things, I don't know. It might be that they
just don't get selected. But this has been an issue since July of 2015,
yeah.

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 07/11/16 08:15, Xen wrote:

> Stephen Morris schreef op 06-11-2016 22:05:
>
>> I've applied the Oxygen icon theme which changes the icon theme when
>> selecting 'Leave' to the coloured icons, but it does not change the
>> row of icons at the bottom of the launcher (the row that contains
>> 'Leave', 'Application' etc), is it not possible to change these? I
>> have also found that Fedora is exactly the same with the oxygen theme.
>
> Apparently there is only a limited set of themes that will apply the
> Oxygen icon set but this has been so since 15.04. However perhaps it
> is possible to go into the theme settings itself and explicitly select
> the Oxygen icons for the various things, I don't know. It might be
> that they just don't get selected. But this has been an issue since
> July of 2015, yeah.

Under 16.04 LTS, which was an upgraded to from the previous version of
Ubuntu (I don't remember which version it was exactly) etc, the reboot
options displayed when pressing 'Leave' on the launcher botton row had
the same coloured icons that are being displayed now following Valeria's
suggestion to use the Oxygen icon set, but that icon set has not changed
the row of icons on the bottom of the launcher in 16.10 to the same set
of coloured icons that were displayed under 16.04. I am using the Breeze
application theme with the Oxygen icon set. As I mentioned before I am
seeing the same symptoms under Fedora 24, and switching to the Oxygen
application theme with the Oxygen icons set does not rectify the
situation, I will try this combination under Ubuntu next time I'm on
there but I am assuming the outcome will be the same.
Does this mean that upstream has changed things in the version of Plasma
that is being used in 16.10 (and presumably Fedora) so that the changes
I'm looking for to use are no longer possible?
I couldn't upgrade from 16.04 which had the changes I'm looking for to
16.10, as the upgrade destroyed my Ubuntu system, so I had to reinstall
16.04 from scratch, which only installed unity, upgrade to 16.10, and
progressively add Gnome and Plasma onto that to get a working system
back again.

regards,
Steve

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Stephen Morris
On 08/11/16 08:12, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 07/11/16 08:15, Xen wrote:
>> Stephen Morris schreef op 06-11-2016 22:05:
>>
>>> I've applied the Oxygen icon theme which changes the icon theme when
>>> selecting 'Leave' to the coloured icons, but it does not change the
>>> row of icons at the bottom of the launcher (the row that contains
>>> 'Leave', 'Application' etc), is it not possible to change these? I
>>> have also found that Fedora is exactly the same with the oxygen theme.
>>
>> Apparently there is only a limited set of themes that will apply the
>> Oxygen icon set but this has been so since 15.04. However perhaps it
>> is possible to go into the theme settings itself and explicitly
>> select the Oxygen icons for the various things, I don't know. It
>> might be that they just don't get selected. But this has been an
>> issue since July of 2015, yeah.
>>
> Under 16.04 LTS, which was an upgraded to from the previous version of
> Ubuntu (I don't remember which version it was exactly) etc, the reboot
> options displayed when pressing 'Leave' on the launcher botton row had
> the same coloured icons that are being displayed now following
> Valeria's suggestion to use the Oxygen icon set, but that icon set has
> not changed the row of icons on the bottom of the launcher in 16.10 to
> the same set of coloured icons that were displayed under 16.04. I am
> using the Breeze application theme with the Oxygen icon set. As I
> mentioned before I am seeing the same symptoms under Fedora 24, and
> switching to the Oxygen application theme with the Oxygen icons set
> does not rectify the situation, I will try this combination under
> Ubuntu next time I'm on there but I am assuming the outcome will be
> the same.
I have tried the Oxygen theme and there is no change to the icons along
the bottom of the launcher. Is it just not possible to change them any more?

regards,
Steve

> Does this mean that upstream has changed things in the version of
> Plasma that is being used in 16.10 (and presumably Fedora) so that the
> changes I'm looking for to use are no longer possible?
> I couldn't upgrade from 16.04 which had the changes I'm looking for to
> 16.10, as the upgrade destroyed my Ubuntu system, so I had to
> reinstall 16.04 from scratch, which only installed unity, upgrade to
> 16.10, and progressively add Gnome and Plasma onto that to get a
> working system back again.
>
> regards,
> Steve

Re: Kubuntu 16.10 is out!

Verwijs1969
having trouble with writing "Master boot record" (MBR) my BIOS hangs (freezes) on startup when checking disks and looking for valid  (MBR)/filesystem ...

installation runs fine...