Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not "see" it, laptop does not boot it.

Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not "see" it, laptop does not boot it.

Bas G. Roufs - in English
Hello everybody.

At present, I am working at a correctly functioning Lenovo X220 running at Kubuntu 18.04 LTS amd 64. The laptop has now one SSD of 128 GB at which the system is running. There is also a HD of 320 GB. Soon, I will replace that HD and buy this SSD:
KingSpec P3-1TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD

When I will acquire this one, I'll need a bootable usb stick with Kubuntu 18.04. Have tried several times to create it at a "Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0"  with a view to running from there a "live" system, in order to test it. Have been using mkusb-dus OR startup-disk-creator to put the ISO at the stick. Have been using mkbus-dus to reconvert the stick to a fat32-mass storage device.

All those tests seemingly work well, till I try to boot the laptop from the USB stick, The BIOS does not "see" it -  the laptop does not boot from it.
By trying all this, I try to follow these guidelines:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Booting_the_Computer_from_USB

Can anybody guide me towards some solution?

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs.

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. +31 6 446 835 10;

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not "see" it, laptop does not boot it.

Nils Kassube-2
Bas Roufs wrote:
> All those tests seemingly work well, till I try to boot the laptop
> from the USB stick, The BIOS does not "see" it -  the laptop does not
> boot from it.

If your BIOS really doesn't see the USB stick, there is probably no
chance to boot from it. However some points come to mind which you may
want to check:

- If the USB stick is connected via a USB hub, try if it works with the
stick connected directly to the machine.

- You could try it with the USB stick in another USB port.

- Maybe your BIOS actually does see it, but you have to change the boot
order to put the USB stick before the other boot devices.

- I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
it works there.

Nils

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not "see" it, laptop does not boot it.

Bas G. Roufs - in English

- If the USB stick is connected via a USB hub, try if it works with the
stick connected directly to the machine.

Have tried this - via 3 ports.

- You could try it with the USB stick in another USB port.

Have done so.

- Maybe your BIOS actually does see it, but you have to change the boot
order to put the USB stick before the other boot devices.

No. The bios really does not mention the stick.

- I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
it works there.

Have done so. Fruitlessly.

If your BIOS really doesn't see the USB stick, there is probably no
chance to boot from it.
I am afraid, this is the right conclusion. What else can I do to make the stick bootable?

Yours.
Bas.

Bas Roufs wrote:
> All those tests seemingly work well, till I try to boot the laptop
> from the USB stick, The BIOS does not "see" it -  the laptop does not
> boot from it.

If your BIOS really doesn't see the USB stick, there is probably no
chance to boot from it. However some points come to mind which you may
want to check:

- If the USB stick is connected via a USB hub, try if it works with the
stick connected directly to the machine.

- You could try it with the USB stick in another USB port.

- Maybe your BIOS actually does see it, but you have to change the boot
order to put the USB stick before the other boot devices.

- I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
it works there.

Nils

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. +31 6 446 835 10;

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not 'see' it, laptop does not boot it.

Clay Weber-2
On Mon, May 7, 2018 11:43 am, Bas Roufs wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>

> At present, I am working at a correctly functioning Lenovo X220 running
> at Kubuntu 18.04 LTS amd 64. The laptop has now one SSD of 128 GB at which
> the system is running. There is also a HD of 320 GB. Soon, I will replace
> that HD and buy this SSD:
> KingSpec P3-1TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD
>

> When I will acquire this one, I'll need a bootable usb stick with Kubuntu
>  18.04. Have tried several times to create it at a "Sandisk Ultra USB
> 3.0"
> with a view to running from there a "live" system, in order to test it.
> Have been using mkusb-dus OR startup-disk-creator to put the ISO at the
> stick. Have been using mkbus-dus to reconvert the stick to a fat32-mass
> storage device.
>
> All those tests seemingly work well, till I try to boot the laptop from
> the USB stick, The BIOS does not "see" it -  the laptop does not boot from
> it. By trying all this, I try to follow these guidelines:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Booting_the_Co
> mputer_from_USB
>
> Can anybody guide me towards some solution?
>

> Yours.
>

> Bas G. Roufs.
>

> --
>

> Bas G. Roufs

When powering on, hit the f12 key to bring up the boot menu, and see if it
shows up there.

Try different USB ports, and a different USB stick if you have one
available. I am finding many search results for "lenovo x220 boot from
usb" which seem to indicate it is a somewhat common problem. You do have
to make sure that you have the USB bios support enabled in your bios, or a
similar option, but seeing as you already have Kubuntu on your current
drive, I will guess that you booted from a USB stick for that install?

Also, I mentioned trying another stick, as a few of the reports mention
Sandisk sticks specifically, so they may be problematic. Some of them come
with hidden partitions for backup utilities, etc, and this may prevent
them from being bootable Linux discs.

On Mon, May 7, 2018 12:36 pm, Bas Roufs wrote:

> - If the USB stick is connected via a USB hub, try if it works with the
> stick connected directly to the machine.
>
> *Have tried this - via 3 ports.*
>

> - You could try it with the USB stick in another USB port.
>

> *Have done so.*
>

> - Maybe your BIOS actually does see it, but you have to change the boot
> order to put the USB stick before the other boot devices.
>
> *No. The bios really does not mention the stick. *
>

> - I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
> it works there.
>
> *Have done so. Fruitlessly.*
>

> If your BIOS really doesn't see the USB stick, there is probably no
> chance to boot from it.
>

> *I am afraid, this is the right conclusion. What else can I do to make
> the stick bootable?*
>
> *Yours.*
>

> *Bas.*

>> Bas Roufs wrote:
>>
>>> All those tests seemingly work well, till I try to boot the laptop
>>> from the USB stick, The BIOS does not "see" it -  the laptop does not
>>> boot from it.
>>
>> If your BIOS really doesn't see the USB stick, there is probably no
>> chance to boot from it. However some points come to mind which you may
>> want to check:
>>
>> - If the USB stick is connected via a USB hub, try if it works with the
>>  stick connected directly to the machine.
>>
>> - You could try it with the USB stick in another USB port.
>>

>> - Maybe your BIOS actually does see it, but you have to change the boot
>>  order to put the USB stick before the other boot devices.
>>
>> - I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
>> it works there.
>>

>> Nils
>>

>> --

> Bas G. Roufs

If it is not working in other machines, perhaps it could be mkusb being
the culprit? It has (in my opinion) too many options and settings to use
that maybe it is not set correctly?

I personally like and use Mkusb, but there are other, easy to use tools
that have *never* failed me. One I recommend is Etcher:
https://etcher.io/
you download, then extract the zip file,and double click the file to
install/run it. Select the image, select the drive, and go.

Bas Roufs wrote:
> - I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
> it works there.
>
> *Have done so. Fruitlessly.*

Well, if it doesn't work on another machine, this is probably the reason
why. If the stick isn't really bootable, the BIOS will ignore it. As I
understand the description of the Ubuntu help page you mentioned in your
initial mail, it would create a bootable USB drive with the contents of
the ISO file, i.e. it replaces the DVD drive. (Sorry if this is wrong -
right now I really don't have the time to read and understand everything
on that page.)

I have done something different to carry several ISO files on a USB
stick and I can select which one to use at boot time. Some time ago I
have written about it on the Ubuntu users list:
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2015-April/280372.html>
If that description wasn't good enough, please let me know what was
missing.

Nils