Kubuntu 18.04 LTS does not start after fresh installation from "mSATA TO USB3.0."

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS does not start after fresh installation from "mSATA TO USB3.0."

Bas G. Roufs - in English
Hello everybody.

Several attempts I have done to install Kubuntu 18.04 LTS at a Lenovo X220.
The pendrive i am using is a mSATA TO USB3.0." with a small SSD of 60 GB and a speed of 6gb/s. I have been using mkusb-dus to format the drive to fat32, after which I used another option of the same package to clone the iso to the pendrive. mkUSB-dus seemingly works well. i also do manage to boot the ISO from the stick and to carry out the installation procedure. However, I stumble at three problems who are possibly interrelated:
I do not manage to carry out a SHA256SUM - test at the pendrive;
at the end of the installation procedure, I do not get any instruction to remove the "installation media", the pendrive, at a certain moment;
the newly installed system simply does not start.

Can anybody help me to solve these problems?

Yours.
Bas G. Roufs.

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, E. [hidden email]; Mob. +31 6 446 835 10;

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS does not start after fresh installation from "mSATA TO USB3.0."

charlie

hey bas.

what i use to make a pendrive/thumbdrive to install from is startup disk creator from the software center in kubuntu. it's perhaps the easiest program to create one and the issue you've got about no instructions to remove the media before restarting could indicate a bad thumbdrive. i was experiencing the same issue and then i bought a new one and it worked perfectly. no issues at all. i picked up a sandisk 16 GB mini thumbdrive for around USD $10 from Amazon. it's a USB 3.1 unit and backwards compatible with previous versions of USB ports (1.1, 2.0, 3.0).

so go into the discover software center and search for startup disk creator and try that out.

let me know how it goes.

charlie

On 05/05/2018 02:31 AM, Bas Roufs wrote:

[...]

Hello Charlie and Everybody.

In the mean time, it became clear to me that the mSata DID work as a installation medium - however, I needed to boot via bios at that mSata, in order to access the installed system.  An advise has come to me to act along the lines of this:
This was effective.

However, one question remains for now. Have been trying to create a live system at a usb stick - for a next install, as well as for security.

Have been using both USB-creator and mkusb-dus.  However, the stick does not boot so far.

Yours.

Bas G Roufs.