Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Rod Lovett
I wonder does Mark Shuttleworth really use Kubuntu 64, if so he may still be less than impressed.
I report the following after a short test drive.

1) Still no KDE root login, and, oh dear---- I hear the zealots already tut-tutting how one should never, never gui login as root etc
2)Firstly one cannot edit sources.list from the root terminal (after sudo  passwd so it works first). Then trying to run via root terminal, kate or konqueror they will not open, so one is up the creek without a paddle.
3)K3b no cdrdao and not available without editing sources.list if you can!
4) Still no usb flashdrive mounting---
5) Thunderbird opens no weblinks in mail, and mozilla-browser has no mail option.

Is Kubuntu 32 dapper the same?
Good luck, Kubuntu 64 will get there yet.
Cheers
Rod

Re: Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Ante Karamatic-2
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 22:19 +1100, Rod Lovett wrote:

> I wonder does Mark Shuttleworth really use Kubuntu 64, if so he may
> still be less than impressed.

You started your mail with wrong attitude...

> 1) Still no KDE root login, and, oh dear---- I hear the zealots
> already tut-tutting how one should never, never gui login as root etc

No one can produce operating system that will suite everyone out of the
box. Ubuntu policy is to not create root account and not allow root GUI
login. This is not a bug, this is a feature. If you don't like it, you
can change it.

> 2)Firstly one cannot edit sources.list from the root terminal (after
> sudo  passwd so it works first). Then trying to run via root terminal,
> kate or konqueror they will not open, so one is up the creek without a
> paddle.

I don't use KDE, but I can imagine that this has something to do with
"su -". You can run vi /etc/apt/sources.list. But if you really want
kate or some other GUI application, you can open normal terminal and
start it with sudo or su, but not with su -. I do like that root
terminal starts with "su -" and I op for not changing that.

> 3)K3b no cdrdao and not available without editing sources.list if you
> can!

cdrdao is in universe repository. Neither is impossible to change
sources.list and neither it that a problem for vast majority of users.

> 5) Thunderbird opens no weblinks in mail, and mozilla-browser has no
> mail option.

You could say that this with thunderbird is a bug, but that works very
well in Gnome, since thunderbird open enviorments browser.
Mozilla-browser is browser, not a whole suite. mozila-mailnews is
package that will add mail and news client for you browser. This package
is in universe.

> Is Kubuntu 32 dapper the same?

Yes.

> Good luck, Kubuntu 64 will get there yet.

Thanks. But next time, plase go to [hidden email] since these
questions shows lack of understanding how ubuntu works.

--
Ante Karamatic | 0xD3BDA225 | 0x0A4A0161
[hidden email] | [hidden email] | ivoks.blogspot.com

Re: Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Stephan Hermann
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 22:19 +1100, Rod Lovett wrote:
> I wonder does Mark Shuttleworth really use Kubuntu 64, if so he may
> still be less than impressed.

What as Mark to do with it? If Mark runs into a problem, he knows the
URL of bugzilla or malone and he is filing bugs.

> I report the following after a short test drive.
>
> 1) Still no KDE root login, and, oh dear---- I hear the zealots
> already tut-tutting how one should never, never gui login as root etc

This is not a bug, it's an Ubuntu/Kubuntu feature. That's why the
installer never asks one question about a root password.
Login with your normal user account, start a terminal and do a sudo
command.

> 2)Firstly one cannot edit sources.list from the root terminal (after
> sudo  passwd so it works first). Then trying to run via root terminal,
> kate or konqueror they will not open, so one is up the creek without a
> paddle.

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list is doing quite nicely here. sudo
kate /etc/apt/sources.list works as well very good.
But this behaviour is documented very well in the ubuntu/kubuntu docs.
Did you read them?

> 3)K3b no cdrdao and not available without editing sources.list if you
> can!

k3b doesn't need cdrdao, it recommends or suggests cdrdao for sure, and
k3b upstream complains sometimes about the missing cdrdao, but this is
upstream. cdrecord can do everything, from burnings isos to burning
bin/cue.
If you need cdrdao for other things, then include the
universe/multiverse repositories in your sources.list (please see the
first and second paragraph how to edit the sources.list without the root
user)

> 4) Still no usb flashdrive mounting---

Kubuntu on Intel and Ubuntu on Intel are doing it quite good. But
honestly I never saw Kubuntu on amd64, because I don't have one, and I
don't know anybody who has one amd64 as well.

> 5) Thunderbird opens no weblinks in mail, and mozilla-browser has no
> mail option.

Well, because the kde version of thunderbird is named "kontact" and the
"mozilla-browser" (I think this means only firefox) is named
"konqueror".
But with a little bit of changing the configuration of those gtk/gnome
apps you can work around this problem.

> Is Kubuntu 32 dapper the same?
> Good luck, Kubuntu 64 will get there yet.

Actually it is better to read some documentation before you start to
rant about things you don't even know. We have several support options
for the users, there are mailinglist for both, kubuntu and ubuntu to
help users with your very special issues.
There is IRC at freenode.net, jump onto the server via konversation or
ksirc and join #kubuntu or #ubuntu and there are people who could help
you.
And the good thing is, they are all free of charge. You don't have to
pay anything for it, you only have to ask the right questions in a
polite way.

Regards,

\sh

Re: Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Trent Lloyd
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:40:45PM +0100, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 22:19 +1100, Rod Lovett wrote:

<snip>

> > 2)Firstly one cannot edit sources.list from the root terminal (after
> > sudo  passwd so it works first). Then trying to run via root terminal,
> > kate or konqueror they will not open, so one is up the creek without a
> > paddle.
>
> I don't use KDE, but I can imagine that this has something to do with
> "su -". You can run vi /etc/apt/sources.list. But if you really want
> kate or some other GUI application, you can open normal terminal and
> start it with sudo or su, but not with su -. I do like that root
> terminal starts with "su -" and I op for not changing that.

Actually, interestingly, it does seem not possible to start kate as root

lathiat@nuqneH:~$ sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
Password:
kate: ERROR: Communication problem with kate, it probably crashed.
lathiat@nuqneH:~$

Trent

<snip>

--
Trent Lloyd <[hidden email]>
Bur.st Networking Inc.

Re: Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Stephan Hermann
Hi,

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 21:12 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:40:45PM +0100, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 22:19 +1100, Rod Lovett wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > 2)Firstly one cannot edit sources.list from the root terminal (after
> > > sudo  passwd so it works first). Then trying to run via root terminal,
> > > kate or konqueror they will not open, so one is up the creek without a
> > > paddle.
> >
> > I don't use KDE, but I can imagine that this has something to do with
> > "su -". You can run vi /etc/apt/sources.list. But if you really want
> > kate or some other GUI application, you can open normal terminal and
> > start it with sudo or su, but not with su -. I do like that root
> > terminal starts with "su -" and I op for not changing that.
>
> Actually, interestingly, it does seem not possible to start kate as root
>
> lathiat@nuqneH:~$ sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
> Password:
> kate: ERROR: Communication problem with kate, it probably crashed.
> lathiat@nuqneH:~$

Well, it works on ubuntu/kubuntu i386 release.

regards,
\sh

Re: Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Oliver Grawert
hi,
On So, 2005-11-20 at 22:19 +1100, Rod Lovett wrote:
> I wonder does Mark Shuttleworth really use Kubuntu 64, if so he may
> still be less than impressed.
> I report the following after a short test drive.
i guess he will be *very* impressed about the progress that was made in
less than 3 weeks of development on kubuntu by jonathan and his small
team and indeed you filed bugs for all the problems you encountered to
have them solved in april at release time, didnt you ?

> 1) Still no KDE root login, and, oh dear---- I hear the zealots
> already tut-tutting how one should never, never gui login as root etc
bug number ?

> 2)Firstly one cannot edit sources.list from the root terminal (after
> sudo  passwd so it works first). Then trying to run via root terminal,
> kate or konqueror they will not open, so one is up the creek without a
> paddle.
bug number ?

> 3)K3b no cdrdao and not available without editing sources.list if you
> can!
bug number ?

> 4) Still no usb flashdrive mounting---
which bugnumber is this ?

> 5) Thunderbird opens no weblinks in mail, and mozilla-browser has no
> mail option.
and which bug number was this ?

olease dont use that list for random rantings, we try to coordinate our
work here and the noise level gets higher with every post like this, if
you want your problems solved, the best way to get developers attention
is to use bugzilla...

ciao
        oli

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 02:56:23PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 21:12 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:40:45PM +0100, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 22:19 +1100, Rod Lovett wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > I don't use KDE, but I can imagine that this has something to do with
> > > "su -". You can run vi /etc/apt/sources.list. But if you really want
> > > kate or some other GUI application, you can open normal terminal and
> > > start it with sudo or su, but not with su -. I do like that root
> > > terminal starts with "su -" and I op for not changing that.
> >
> > Actually, interestingly, it does seem not possible to start kate as root
> >
> > lathiat@nuqneH:~$ sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
> > Password:
> > kate: ERROR: Communication problem with kate, it probably crashed.
> > lathiat@nuqneH:~$
>
> Well, it works on ubuntu/kubuntu i386 release.

I'm using kubuntu i386.

Trent

> regards,
> \sh

Trent Lloyd <[hidden email]>
Bur.st Networking Inc.

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 05:34 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> > Well, it works on ubuntu/kubuntu i386 release.
>
> I'm using kubuntu i386.

hmm...ok..ubuntu here with kubuntu desktop installed.but it shouldn't be
a difference.

regards,
\sh

Re: Kubuntu 64 dapper still not there

Matthias Urlichs
Hi, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> Actually, interestingly, it does seem not possible to start kate as root

You need to use "kdesu" if you want to run KDE programs as root.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  [hidden email]
 - -