Kubuntu Automation 2.0 released

José Manuel Santamaría Lema
Hi,

after so many time working on Kubuntu Automation, I'm glad to announce the
first 'proper' release. It's '2.0' because I would consider '1.0' the tooling
we had before Operation Slice[1]. Packages for Artful, Zesty and Xenial are
available in the dev-tools PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ninjas/+archive/ubuntu/dev-tools

Some time ago we have seen the most disruptive change in Kubuntu's history:
the transition from being maintained mostly by full-time paid employees to be
maintained mostly by volunteers. Since then, we have been struggling to keep
up with KDE software releases and the Kubuntu Automation tooling has been
playing a key role (for good and bad things).

While the KA tooling is very far from being perfect, I think it has now a
minimal set of features which are making this new stage of Kubuntu's history
possible; having a bad tooling - like we had - would have made the maintenance
of Kubuntu's packaging unfeasible in the long term.

I would like to say thank you to Rik, Clive, Simon, Walter and Darin, for
their feedback, patches, contributions and for working so much on the
packaging, which allowed me to spend more time doing several needed changes in
Kubuntu Automation.

Cheers.

[1] https://phabricator.kde.org/w/kubuntu/black-operations/slice/

Re: Kubuntu Automation 2.0 released

Valorie Zimmerman
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:39 PM, José Manuel Santamaría Lema
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after so many time working on Kubuntu Automation, I'm glad to announce the
> first 'proper' release. It's '2.0' because I would consider '1.0' the tooling
> we had before Operation Slice[1]. Packages for Artful, Zesty and Xenial are
> available in the dev-tools PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ninjas/+archive/ubuntu/dev-tools

Hiya.

Thanks for all your work on this, Santa. It's nice to see it paying
off now, big-time! I have a question about the PPA mentioned on the
above link. Is this an "everything and the kitchen sink" type PPA for
testing now? Or to be used in advance of moving the packages to
-testing and -landing and then to updates and/or backports?

> Some time ago we have seen the most disruptive change in Kubuntu's history:
> the transition from being maintained mostly by full-time paid employees to be
> maintained mostly by volunteers. Since then, we have been struggling to keep
> up with KDE software releases and the Kubuntu Automation tooling has been
> playing a key role (for good and bad things).
>
> While the KA tooling is very far from being perfect, I think it has now a
> minimal set of features which are making this new stage of Kubuntu's history
> possible; having a bad tooling - like we had - would have made the maintenance
> of Kubuntu's packaging unfeasible in the long term.
>
> I would like to say thank you to Rik, Clive, Simon, Walter and Darin, for
> their feedback, patches, contributions and for working so much on the
> packaging, which allowed me to spend more time doing several needed changes in
> Kubuntu Automation.
>
> Cheers.
>
> [1] https://phabricator.kde.org/w/kubuntu/black-operations/slice/

It has been a difficult transition. I'm happy that those who left the
Kubuntu team are still friendly and helping out when needed, for the
most part. And I'm very happy to see the growing cooperation between
us and Debian and neon. The more we share and automate our work, the
better the quality and most important -- the more fun we have!

Also, Alpha 1 is happening in a few weeks, so this is super timely. :-)

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Kubuntu Automation 2.0 released

José Manuel Santamaría Lema
Hi Valorie,

> Thanks for all your work on this, Santa. It's nice to see it paying
> off now, big-time! I have a question about the PPA mentioned on the
> above link. Is this an "everything and the kitchen sink" type PPA for
> testing now? Or to be used in advance of moving the packages to
> -testing and -landing and then to updates and/or backports?

That PPA is meant to provide the stable versions of our packaging development
tools. So it's not meant to be used as a testing PPA, but as a 'production'
thing. At the moment there's also a few library backports to make sure that
these tools work correctly (such as launchpadlib).

That being said, the idea is having something that we, the packagers, can
easily add to our development machines to do the packaging work. Since the
packages provided in the dev-tools PPA are only useful for package developers
the idea is just keeping that PPA as a 'private' thing for us, and keep the
packages just there.

Regards.

Re: Kubuntu Automation 2.0 released

Clive Johnston-3
As someone who was very sceptical regarding the WIP KA tooling, and threw a number of temper tantrums when the tooling didn't work as expected, I must say very well done and thank-you all for your hard work.  I can honestly say the new tools really do make the process a lot smoother and easier to understand.  The new graph tools are a huge help in visualising the status of our huge package sets.  I also love the small fixes such as the sorting on the status pages submitted by Ovi One and the fixes Darin added to allow certain tools to be overridden to run in non-standard git branches and all the other fixes which just make the tooling more flexible and versatile.

The next stage, in my opinion is to get the tooling fully documented and put that somewhere accessible for people to learn the process.  If we can encourage new packagers to contribute, this takes the pressure off the handful of people currently doing the majority of the work "behind the scenes" so to speak.

I wonder could we try and get the Dojo's up and running again.

Thanks again for all the hard work,
Clive

Hi Valorie,