Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Rik Mills-2
Hello Kubuntu community!

Unfortunately, we overlooked that three (3) of our Kubuntu Council
members are expiring shortly!

The terms for the following Council members are due to expire on the 2nd
September 2018:

Myriam Schweingruber
Philip Muškovac
Valorie Zimmerman

I hereby call for nominations for the Kubuntu Council to elect three (3)
members and hope that Myriam Schweingruber, Philip Muškovac, Valorie
Zimmerman will continue to serve until we have the names of the new
Council members.

I will update the Kubuntu Calendar to reflect these new dates.

The term is for two years, spanning 2nd September 2018 to 2nd September
2020.

As in the past, the election will be conducted using CIVS (Condorcet
Internet Voting Service) - http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html and
the top three ranking vote recipients will be elected.

Schedule:

Nomination period: Now to the 25th August 2018
Ballot Preparation: 25th August to the next day
Voting Period: 25th August 1st September
End Poll/Results Announced: 1st September
New Term Begins: 2nd September 2018

This schedule shortens all the timelines. Please nominate yourselves or
others quickly, so we can get to voting quickly.

The above deadlines may be subject to minor revision, and a follow up
email will give details if this is so. However, nominations open NOW so
please be as prompt as possible.

Please mention what you would like to accomplish within the Kubuntu
project (Why people should vote for you)

Eligibility:

All Kubuntu Members ( https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/+members )
are eligible to be nominated and to vote. If you have a public email
address in Launchpad, you need take no further action to receive your
voting ballot. If you do not have a public email address, please
contact me off-list with the address you'd like your ballot sent to,
otherwise you will be unable to vote.

Nominations:

All Kubuntu members are eligible. The Kubuntu Council is intended to
represent all of the Kubuntu community. Applications from involved
non-developers are encouraged. If you are nominating someone else,
please confirm their willingness to serve before nominating them.
Nominations should be done in public via either kubuntu-users or
kubuntu-devel mailing lists. If there is some extraordinary reason that
precludes that, contact me directly.

Commitment:

The Kubuntu Council is the leadership body of Kubuntu.  Members of the
council are expected to be active in the Kubuntu community/project. It
has three primary roles:

 - Approve development plans for future Kubuntu releases
 - Approve Kubuntu membership applications
 - Resolve disputes within the Kubuntu project

The time commitment is not large. Meetings are generally only once every
several months and conducted via IRC. However, we do need the Kubuntu
Council to lead the community, not sit back and only attend meetings.

Questions:

If there are questions, you can contact us via this mailing list or (if
really necessary) via direct mail.  We can also be found on Freenode IRC
in #kubuntu, #kubuntu-council or #kubuntu-devel

Many thanks to all and please remember "time is of the essence".

Happy nominating and voting,

Rik Mills
Kubuntu Council

Re: [Kubuntu-council] Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Valorie Zimmerman-3
Thanks for putting out the call, Rik!

I would like to stand again for a place on the Council. It has been my
honor to serve and I hope enough work supporting Kubuntu to ask for
everyone's vote again.

Valorie

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 2:23 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Commitment:
>
> The Kubuntu Council is the leadership body of Kubuntu.  Members of the
> council are expected to be active in the Kubuntu community/project. It
> has three primary roles:
>
>  - Approve development plans for future Kubuntu releases
>  - Approve Kubuntu membership applications
>  - Resolve disputes within the Kubuntu project
>
> The time commitment is not large. Meetings are generally only once every
> several months and conducted via IRC. However, we do need the Kubuntu
> Council to lead the community, not sit back and only attend meetings.
>
> Questions:
>
> If there are questions, you can contact us via this mailing list or (if
> really necessary) via direct mail.  We can also be found on Freenode IRC
> in #kubuntu, #kubuntu-council or #kubuntu-devel
>
> Many thanks to all and please remember "time is of the essence".

Re: Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Simon Quigley-3
Hello,

I hereby nominate myself for the Kubuntu Council.

My goal on the Kubuntu Council would be to help strengthen ties with
other projects that I already have relationships with, on behalf of
Kubuntu. Notably, this would include Lubuntu and other projects which I
have a personal stake in, and teams like the Debian Qt/KDE Team that I
consider our upstream.

Collaboration with other projects is key, and that is my main goal in
running for the Kubuntu Council.

Thank you, and I hope my second run for the KC turns out better than the
first.

--
Simon Quigley
[hidden email]

Re: Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Rik Mills-2
I would like to remind anyone thinking of standing or nominating, that
nomination close at end of play tomorrow (Saturday 25th August).

We currently only have 2 nominations for the 3 spots, so please do not
delay.

Currently nominated are:

Valorie Zimmerman
Simon Quigley

I should also point out that Philip Muškovac has stated on our IRC
channel that he does not intend to stand this time, and as yet do not
know Myriam Schweingruber's intentions. So if you should be assuming
that incumbent members are likely to just be re-elected and so you are
not standing, I would suggest you may like to reconsider that.

As set out in my previous email, the time commitment is not large and
any member who feels they can make a difference and positive
contribution is more than welcome to stand.

Thank you

Rik Mills
Kubuntu Council
Kubuntu devel

On 18/08/18 10:23, Rik Mills wrote:

> [...]
> has three primary roles:
>
>  - Approve development plans for future Kubuntu releases
>  - Approve Kubuntu membership applications
>  - Resolve disputes within the Kubuntu project
>
> The time commitment is not large. Meetings are generally only once every
> several months and conducted via IRC. However, we do need the Kubuntu
> Council to lead the community, not sit back and only attend meetings.
>
> Questions:
>
> If there are questions, you can contact us via this mailing list or (if
> really necessary) via direct mail.  We can also be found on Freenode IRC
> in #kubuntu, #kubuntu-council or #kubuntu-devel
>
> Many thanks to all and please remember "time is of the essence".
>
> Happy nominating and voting,
>
> Rik Mills
> Kubuntu Council

Re: [Kubuntu-council] Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Myriam Schweingruber-2
Hi all,

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 14:25, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

I should also point out that Philip Muškovac has stated on our IRC
channel that he does not intend to stand this time, and as yet do not
know Myriam Schweingruber's intentions.

Sorry for my very late reply, I had quite a busy time with Akademy and they days after so I took a few days off the web.

Despite having had a very quiet time during my last tenure on the Council, I would like to put my name forward once more and hope to invest more of my time this round.

Best regards,

Myriam

PS. still trying to sort out my IRC, seems running a bouncer is not without some quirks when the network goes through rough times.

Re: Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

José Manuel Santamaría Lema
Hello,

since there are 3 spots available and only 3 candidates, I would like to
nominate myself, so there's real choice.

Apparently, I don't officially exist: https://kubuntu.org/the-kubuntu-team/

However I have been doing a fair amount of technical work in the background, I
have been working mostly on the packaging and automation of the packaging
(i.e. the Kubuntu Automation software which Rik is using to upload newer
packages).

If you want more details you can read more here about my work:
https://launchpad.net/~panfaust
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Santamaria/KubuntuMembership
https://community.kde.org/User:Santa

Cheers.