Kubuntu SDDM kills keyboard

Xen

Kubuntu SDDM kills keyboard

Xen
I stopped SDDM using systemctl stop sddm from within KDE this time and
expected to be returned to a TTY as usual.

It took away my keyboard and I had again no way to log in to a tty and
restart it.

It also took away the display like when it had gone to standby in a live
session (the monitor).

It could be related to multi-monitor but this is what it is.

For the second time I have had to kill my computer and reboot it while
it was doing something important.

This has never happened to me before, also not before when I was doing
the same multi-monitor using the same graphics card.

Today it's a newer kernel (4.10 vs 4.4) and I don't know what else has
changed.

A different motherboard, yes.

There are no weird messages in journalctl from the previous boot.

Just sddm shutting down, that's it, and my session being killed, which
is normal.

Re: Kubuntu SDDM kills keyboard

Nils Kassube-2
Xen wrote:
> I stopped SDDM using systemctl stop sddm from within KDE this time and
> expected to be returned to a TTY as usual.
>
> It took away my keyboard and I had again no way to log in to a tty and
> restart it.

Please write bug reports, like Oli suggested in his reply to your
Ubiquity thread. The right place for bug reports is
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/>, not this list. You could also use the
command ubuntu-bug, in this case "ubuntu-bug sddm" to automatically
include important details like the installed ubuntu release.

> It also took away the display like when it had gone to standby in a
> live session (the monitor).
>
> It could be related to multi-monitor but this is what it is.
>
> For the second time I have had to kill my computer and reboot it while
> it was doing something important.

I thought you had complained already that there is no ssh server
installed by default - then why didn't you install the ssh server before
doing anything important?

Nils

Xen

Nils Kassube schreef op 30-11-2017 7:47:
> Xen wrote:
>> I stopped SDDM using systemctl stop sddm from within KDE this time and
>> expected to be returned to a TTY as usual.
>>
>> It took away my keyboard and I had again no way to log in to a tty and
>> restart it.
>
> Please write bug reports, like Oli suggested in his reply to your
> Ubiquity thread.

The bug on /var has existed since ancient days, was reported, and never
fixed.

The bug on grub has been reported by myself, someone tried to look into
it (not sure if it was anyone from Canonical or Ubuntu) but it was never
fixed.

Reporting bugs doesn't help, they're not gonna get fixed anyway.

Raising awareness might help.

Please quit derailing stuff you know...

I don't have time to endlessly write bug reports and then follow up on
them and provide data while there is zero outcome.

It is just one of these scams "If you do this your life will get
better".

Meanwhile because you write a bug report only a few people will notice
and if those people skip it, no one will know.

The only ones who do know, are the ones who run into the same bug.

That's all that happens.

> The right place for bug reports is
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/>, not this list.

> You could also use the
> command ubuntu-bug, in this case "ubuntu-bug sddm"

The bug is not in sddm.

I have since verified that it also happens in lightdm.

I mean I have verified that it also happens in lightdm.

It also only happens with multi-monitor; both monitors are turned off;
normally this doesn't happen.

I cannot attest yet if it is because of the KVM switch that is the first
connection for the DVI-I port.

So you would have me waste, you are having me waste writing a bug for
something that would be the wrong component, and then be days into it
before I got further ahead because I spend my time writing the bug
instead of researching the issue.

It is just a huge waste of time to write the bug but I had to talk to
someone about it.

It's called communication.

I know you don't like that when it is about something that doesn't work.

You could also call it community.

> I thought you had complained already that there is no ssh server
> installed by default - then why didn't you install the ssh server
> before
> doing anything important?

Because I'm on limited bandwidth, because the chances of recovering
keyboard are nil, because I had no data to extract this time because I'm
on persistent storage, and because I couldn't leave the computer running
until my job was finished while not being able to use it.

And because I would have to boot up and hook up, in reverse order,
another computer in order to access the system only to test if the error
was recoverable while I have other stuff to do,

and because it is a job I could restart,

and because I'm bad at my feet,

and because I don't like the other system I guess,

but also because I didn't expect it to happen again while doing nothing
fiddly with the KVM,

and turns out it has nothing to do with that. Or at least. Might happen
during monitor standby as well.

So there's plenty of reasons why it wouldn't have helped me much now.

What is it to you?

Does that make it less annoying that it happens?

You just want to make sure the negative stuff get shoved into some
cabinet where no one will see it.

Even on freaking YouTube people try to silence Linux users by telling
them to write bug reports instead of videos.

Well sorry for being such a pest.

But no one responded to the idea to tell potential users of the pitfalls
of certain laptops either (on discuss).

Meanwhile real people get hurt.

But all you want to do is hush.

I am just relating an experience to the crowd, it helps me.

I mean I can move forward after I have spoken about it. Find renewed
vigor to investigate the matter.

Instead of wasting my momentum in a bottomless sink called...

I mean what you suggest doesn't work, for no one.

I mean it just doesn't work.

Xen wrote:

> Nils Kassube schreef op 30-11-2017 7:47:
> > Xen wrote:
> >> I stopped SDDM using systemctl stop sddm from within KDE this time
> >> and expected to be returned to a TTY as usual.
> >>
> >> It took away my keyboard and I had again no way to log in to a tty
> >> and restart it.
> >
> > Please write bug reports, like Oli suggested in his reply to your
> > Ubiquity thread.
>
> The bug on /var has existed since ancient days, was reported, and
> never fixed.
>
> The bug on grub has been reported by myself, someone tried to look
> into it (not sure if it was anyone from Canonical or Ubuntu) but it
> was never fixed.
>
> Reporting bugs doesn't help, they're not gonna get fixed anyway.
>
> Raising awareness might help.
>
> Please quit derailing stuff you know...
>
> I don't have time to endlessly write bug reports and then follow up on
> them and provide data while there is zero outcome.
>
> It is just one of these scams "If you do this your life will get
> better".

I'm not sure what you mean with "Raising awareness". If you want to make
developers aware of problems, it wouldn't help to mention them on this
user support list. If you want to make other users aware, it may help a
few people who read your post before they also run into the same
problem.

It's a pity if your bugs didn't get fixed. Then I can understand that
you don't like to further report bugs. I had a better experience - I
have reported several bugs over the years and I think most (not all)
have been fixed.

> > The right place for bug reports is
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/>, not this list.
> >
> > You could also use the
> > command ubuntu-bug, in this case "ubuntu-bug sddm"
>
> The bug is not in sddm.
>
> I have since verified that it also happens in lightdm.
>
> I mean I have verified that it also happens in lightdm.

Well, from the subject of the thread I concluded it was a sddm issue and
therefore I suggested the appropriate command. But as you wouldn't
report the bug it was useless anyway.

Nils

Re: Kubuntu SDDM kills keyboard

Tom H-4
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I stopped SDDM using systemctl stop sddm from within KDE this time and
> expected to be returned to a TTY as usual.
>
> It took away my keyboard and I had again no way to log in to a tty and
> restart it.
>
> It also took away the display like when it had gone to standby in a live
> session (the monitor).
>
> It could be related to multi-monitor but this is what it is.
>
> For the second time I have had to kill my computer and reboot it while it
> was doing something important.
>
> This has never happened to me before, also not before when I was doing the
> same multi-monitor using the same graphics card.
>
> Today it's a newer kernel (4.10 vs 4.4) and I don't know what else has
> changed.
>
> A different motherboard, yes.
>
> There are no weird messages in journalctl from the previous boot.
>
> Just sddm shutting down, that's it, and my session being killed, which is
> normal.

I've never run "systemctl stop lightdm.service" from within a DM
session. It seems barbaric. I've always switched to another VT after
logging out of the DM session and run "systemctl stop lightdm.service"
or "service lightdm stop" from there.

I've just run "systemctl stop lightdm.service" from within a DM
session. The session was killed and I ended up on a VT without a getty
running. Is this what you mean by "It took away my keyboard and I had
again no way to log in to a tty and restart it." Clearly, your
keyboards's still alive and well if you can switch to a VT and log in.

If pre-systemd and pre-logind, you were returned to a getty session
after killing a DM session from within that session, as if you'd
logged out of an X session after starting it with xinit, then you
simply have to get used to the new behavior.

Xen

Nils Kassube schreef op 30-11-2017 10:19:

> I'm not sure what you mean with "Raising awareness". If you want to
> make
> developers aware of problems, it wouldn't help to mention them on this
> user support list. If you want to make other users aware, it may help a
> few people who read your post before they also run into the same
> problem.
>
> It's a pity if your bugs didn't get fixed. Then I can understand that
> you don't like to further report bugs. I had a better experience - I
> have reported several bugs over the years and I think most (not all)
> have been fixed.

Well thank you for your kindness.

> Well, from the subject of the thread I concluded it was a sddm issue
> and
> therefore I suggested the appropriate command. But as you wouldn't
> report the bug it was useless anyway.

I might if I have something to report, but in general I think that other
people just cannot judge whether that time has come or not.

That's all.

Thank you.

Xen

Re: Kubuntu SDDM kills keyboard

Xen

At least I can say that either the multi-monitor also prevents me from
playing any Wine games, in fullscreen mode then,

or LightDM doesn't do a good job.

To Tom:

With "dead" I mean that the numlock light stops responding to numlock
keypresses.

There is no way for me to test if this is "just" X, but a (blind)

trying to log in to a tty and restarting sddm didn't do anything.

I tried several different keyboards and mice.

On basically all USB ports and controllers.

The issue is caused by DVI-I being connected to an Aten KVM switch,

but I also do something peculiar that I don't want to talk about :p.

In any case I would need to troubleshoot that more to be sure what
exactly

(what configuration) causes the occurance.

Because there are at least 2 variables I can try.

Re: Kubuntu SDDM kills keyboard

Colin Law
On 1 December 2017 at 15:39, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue is caused by DVI-I being connected to an Aten KVM switch,
>
> but I also do something peculiar that I don't want to talk about :p.
>
> In any case I would need to troubleshoot that more to be sure what exactly
>
> (what configuration) causes the occurance.
>
> Because there are at least 2 variables I can try.

Now you are double line feeding in the middle of a sentence (unless my
mail reader is getting confused). It makes it difficult to read your
posts.  Can you not just write one sentence after another as is
normal?

Colin

Xen

Colin Law schreef op 01-12-2017 16:48:

> Now you are double line feeding in the middle of a sentence (unless my
> mail reader is getting confused). It makes it difficult to read your
> posts.  Can you not just write one sentence after another as is
> normal?

Do you always have to have something to complain about?

You people are only creating noise.

If I do stuff for a reason, I do stuff for a reason, and that's that.