Kubuntu privacy policy is confusing to a privacy-minded user

Kubuntu privacy policy is confusing to a privacy-minded user

Michael Devendra Lutynski
Hello there,

In the KUBUNTU Facebook group, a woman was complaining loudly that Kubuntu

After reading over your Privacy Policy I found it appaulling. Capturing my keystrokes?? What a bunch of bunk.
"...we may also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties...."

I used Kubuntu for nearly 3 years and really liked it until I found this out. THIS is the VERY reason WHY I detest Windows. I have since installed a much better Linux system.

I reassured her that that's false, but after her showing what she was referring to, it appears that the Kubuntu is leading her directly to an Ubuntu privacy page that says the Dash will send info to Canonical.

This is it:

System Settings -> Applications -> Diagnostics ... and then read the line where it says:

Kubuntu can collect anonymous information that helps developers improve it. All informaiton collected is covered by our privacy policy.

That last part that says privacy policy is a link that takes one to:

And indeed, on that page it says things that don't apply to Kubuntu:

When you enter a search term into the dash Ubuntu will search your Ubuntu computer and will record the search terms locally. Depending on whether you have opted in or out (see the “Online Search” section below), we may also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties so that we may complement your search results with online search results from such third parties including: Facebook, Twitter, BBC and Amazon. Canonical and these selected third parties will collect your search terms and use them to provide you with search results while using Ubuntu.

Of course we know the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and that there is no Dash technology in Kubuntu, but there was a time when I picked up Kubuntu and it was all new to me too.

Since Kubuntu is a friendly OS, we should not confuse our privacy-minded users, who are often our most passionate supporters.

Can this notice be a bug report for this matter to Kubuntu developers?

Thanks,

~Michael Lutynski