Kubuntu (ver 5.10) and Wireless Networks

Kubuntu (ver 5.10) and Wireless Networks

Eraina & Richard Jenkins
I have a small network at home ... with my iMac connected (ethernet) to a
Netgear router and then off to the internet through a ADSL modem.  I also
have an old celeron laptop with a WiFi card connected to its PCMCIA slot.
The card is a D-Link DWL- G630 ... and the netgear router is a MR814V2.

Now windows on the laptop can see the network through this card ... and I can
connect to the net.  All attempts to use linux (breezy-badger) have
fumbled ...

Has anyone any suggestions as to where I might look for advice??

--
Irena & Richard Jenkins
VK1NDV  &  VK1RJ

Re: Kubuntu (ver 5.10) and Wireless Networks

James Gray-2
On Monday 21 November 2005 11:48, Irena and Richard Jenkins wrote:

> I have a small network at home ... with my iMac connected (ethernet) to a
> Netgear router and then off to the internet through a ADSL modem.  I also
> have an old celeron laptop with a WiFi card connected to its PCMCIA slot.
> The card is a D-Link DWL- G630 ... and the netgear router is a MR814V2.
>
> Now windows on the laptop can see the network through this card ... and I
> can connect to the net.  All attempts to use linux (breezy-badger) have
> fumbled ...
>
> Has anyone any suggestions as to where I might look for advice??

Googling "DWL-G630 +Linux" (sans "") yields the following two as the first
hits, the second is probably of more use to you.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=357&question=General%20Wireless

It appears that your card may use a Marvell chipset, meaning ndis wrapper, or
DriverLoader may be your only options (ie, there's no native F/OSS Linux
drivers).

Good luck!

Cheers,

James
--
Keep a diary and one day it'll keep you.
                -- Mae West

Re: Kubuntu (ver 5.10) and Wireless Networks

calcmandan
This may or may not help:

Daniel

Download the best linux distro around at: http://www.kubuntu.org

Re: Kubuntu (ver 5.10) and Wireless Networks

Clement-3
Hi,

I use a Dlink DWL-G630 also, and it didn't work out of the box after installing Kubuntu. However, ndiswrapper can set it up in no time.  Grab the ndiswrapper-utils package from the standard Ubuntu repository, and install the windows driver for the Dlink card using the instructions on the Ndiswrapper project page (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation).  Be sure to issue the "ndiswrapper -m" command to create a module alias for ndiswrapper, and add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules to have it loaded up boot time.

Note that I have not been able to have the card automatically loaded and configured automatically in spite of all the gui tools that are supposed to do that.  But the command line instructions on the Ndiswrapper project would allow you to quickly bring up the card and set the SSID for your wireless ntework.  Work like a charm.

Best,
Clement