LG and Linux

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LG and Linux

MR ZenWiz
I just recently bought a shiny and very tempting new laptop at Costco
- it's an LG-17Z90N-R - 17" screen, 2560x1600 resolution, 10th gen i7,
16GB RAM, 500G SSD, and so on.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with running Linux on an LG?

I want to shrink the Windows partition and put Xubuntu on the thing so
I can make good use of it.

LG seems to think that they can bar me from doing this as it "might
void the warranty."  I don't see how, but I'm wondering if anyone else
has relevant experience.

Many thanks!

Mark

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

Peter Teuben-2
If you are worried about messing up, boot it from a USB, or better, I
got one of those $100  super fast NVMe SSD drives, though you need to
have a fast port for this(I have usb-c).

The prices are almost down to $100 for 1TB.


On 12/9/20 8:15 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> I just recently bought a shiny and very tempting new laptop at Costco
> - it's an LG-17Z90N-R - 17" screen, 2560x1600 resolution, 10th gen i7,
> 16GB RAM, 500G SSD, and so on.
>
> Has anyone had any bad experiences with running Linux on an LG?
>
> I want to shrink the Windows partition and put Xubuntu on the thing so
> I can make good use of it.
>
> LG seems to think that they can bar me from doing this as it "might
> void the warranty."  I don't see how, but I'm wondering if anyone else
> has relevant experience.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Mark
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by MR ZenWiz
On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 at 02:17, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just recently bought a shiny and very tempting new laptop at Costco
> - it's an LG-17Z90N-R - 17" screen, 2560x1600 resolution, 10th gen i7,
> 16GB RAM, 500G SSD, and so on.
>
> Has anyone had any bad experiences with running Linux on an LG?

I've never tried an LG laptop, TBH. I am so wedded to my elderly
Thinkpads that I am looking around for some high-end old models with
decent keyboards so I can postpone getting anything newer as long as
possible.

Early reports of this thing seem good:


https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/gjdar7/new_lg_gram_17_with_linux/

But note the Linux comment here:

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z90n-r.aas9u1-ultra-slim-laptop/reviews

Fingerprint reader won't work and you'll have work with drivers, it looks like.

--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

MR ZenWiz
In reply to this post by Peter Teuben-2
On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Peter Teuben <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you are worried about messing up, boot it from a USB, or better, I
> got one of those $100  super fast NVMe SSD drives, though you need to
> have a fast port for this(I have usb-c).
>
> The prices are almost down to $100 for 1TB.
>
Thanks, but that has nothing to do with what I asked.  I know I can
replace the SSD and for how much.

I want to know how well LG computers work with Linux.  So far running
it live from the USB stick it seems to work quite nicely.  I've been
able to play sound and video files flawlessly.

I'll check with my legal advisors about the warranty issue, but from
what I see (I read English and legalese fairly well) there is nothing
that could possibly be voided by any software, even a new OS.

Mark

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

MR ZenWiz
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 1:29 AM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
:
> I've never tried an LG laptop, TBH. I am so wedded to my elderly
> Thinkpads that I am looking around for some high-end old models with
> decent keyboards so I can postpone getting anything newer as long as
> possible.

I generally agree - my HP notebook is at least 10 years old and
running strong.  This one was highly desirable in part due to the 17"
2K+ screen.

> Early reports of this thing seem good:
>
Mine too so far.  Everything seems to run beautifully, although as
noted in the comments from below, the speakers tend to distort at high
volume, but I don't really expect better with such tiny speakers.
I'll need to check out the headphones when I can, and I'm sure they'll
be fine.

> https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/gjdar7/new_lg_gram_17_with_linux/
>
Looks ok.

> But note the Linux comment here:
>
> https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z90n-r.aas9u1-ultra-slim-laptop/reviews
>
> Fingerprint reader won't work and you'll have work with drivers, it looks like.
>
I haven't seen a need for any drivers yet, and I don't even like
fingerprint readers anyway.  Even Windows had trouble reading my print
- big whoop.  The video rendering looks beautiful even on 1920x1080
videos.

My biggest issue was that BS note from LG support claiming that I
could void the warranty by changing the OS or installed software
confiugration - the warranty explicitly excludes any software and says
nothing about changing the configuration or how that is involved in
the warranty.

Thanks.

Mark

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

David Fletcher-5
In reply to this post by MR ZenWiz
On Thu, 2020-12-10 at 09:53 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Peter Teuben <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks, but that has nothing to do with what I asked.  I know I can
> replace the SSD and for how much.

Well, then, just just take out the SSD and replace it with something
else? Keep the SSD safe until the warranty runs out then you can do
whatever you like with it.

I bought a Toshiba NB520 back in February 2012. First thing I did was
pull out the HDD with windoze 7 on it and put in a bigger one,
installed Mint and it worked so much better! So now it's an almost 9
years old 10" netbook with a 2TB HDD running Mint 20. A nice big drive
so I can carry films and music when I go away on holiday.

If the LG goes wrong inside warranty just put the original SSD back in
and return it, in original condition.

Dave


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

ubuntu-users mailing list
10 December 2020  at 18:16, David Fletcher wrote:
Re: LG and Linux (at least in part)

>If the LG goes wrong inside warranty just put the original SSD back in
>and return it, in original condition.

Would swapping the HD not brake the tape (seal) and frag the warranty?

I don't have an LG to check if/where the seals are

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LG and Linux

David Fletcher-5
On Thu, 2020-12-10 at 18:32 +0000, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 10 December 2020  at 18:16, David Fletcher wrote:
> Re: LG and Linux (at least in part)
>
> > If the LG goes wrong inside warranty just put the original SSD back
> > in
> > and return it, in original condition.
>
> Would swapping the HD not brake the tape (seal) and frag the
> warranty?
>
> I don't have an LG to check if/where the seals are

Neither do I, it looks nice on the Amazon listing but I've never seen
the beast in my hands so I can't say. If it's got screws to open the
bottom panel, what's the harm in taking a look?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users