LTSP-pnp and 16.04?

David Groos
Hello All,

School's almost over for the year and I want to start considering classroom computers for next school year. By looking at the ltsp-pnp page I see that it is supported on 16.04 (w/ a command to deal w/ a bug, thanks!). I was looking for a general discussion about pros/cons such as consideration on sticking w/14.04 vs moving to 16.04 for next school year.

I'm also wondering about using arch 64 throughout server/client systems since all client machines now are 64 bit machines.

As per usual, I'll be setting up a test ltsp-pnp 'LAN' at my house this summer. This becomes more urgent if I upgrade to 16.04. I can do some testing of 16.04/ltsp-pnp/epoptes esp if I knew of specific things to test out--anyone?.

This school year I supported 4 other teachers/classrooms running a clone of my system and it wasn't too time consuming! Amazing that a full time (non-technology) teacher can support 5 classrooms running ltsp-pnp LAN's esp. considering the teachers in the other rooms had never heard of Ubuntu before this year. LTSP-pnp #JustWorks. That being said, next year it looks like I'll have (at least) 2 MORE classrooms on my support list in our school! Any recommendations on how best to make this happen? I'm guessing there is a more efficient way than cloning my system w/clonezilla then burning it onto the other classroom servers, then customizing (though I got pretty efficient at doing it!) I can share that process if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
David G

Re: LTSP-pnp and 16.04?

Άλκης Γεωργόπουλος
Hi David,

since Edubuntu is no longer developed, it's probably better to use the
ltsp-discuss mailing list instead.

Sticking to 14.04 vs moving to 16.04: I'll be using/supporting 16.04
that has systemd, while 14.04 doesn't. So while 14.04 probably works
fine now, and it will probably continue working fine, it might not get
any new ltsp/epoptes versions via the Greek schools PPA.

32-bit vs 64-bit: my rule of thumb is, if all your systems are 64bit
and have at least 2 MB RAM, then go for amd64, otherwise install i386.

Testing: I don't know of any bugs etc that need testing. Note that
I'll probably be using the Ubuntu MATE version, so this will receive
the most testing from my side.

Cloning: For the Greek schools, we have created repositories and
packages so that we install Ubuntu and then install a special
"secondary-school" or "primary-school" etc package, that pulls all the
software and does all the customizations that we need.
In your case, to avoid the packaging overhead, I'd propose to do all
the customizations with a simple script that would do things like:
add-apt-repository --yes ppa:ts.sch.gr
apt update
apt --yes dist-upgrade
apt --yes install ltsp-server-etc-etc-etc
cat >/etc/config/file <<EOF
some text here...
EOF

This would result in classrooms *not* having the same ssh keys or
machine IDs, and having reproducible installations, while the script
would probably be compatible with both 14.04 and 16.04.

If your scripting skills aren't enough for that, then I would maintain
a master installation in an external USB stick or disk, and after
booting with that in the target computer, I would run:
# clone from stick to hard disk:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda
# move the swap partition to the end of the hard disk,
# and expand the ubuntu partition to cover all the first disk:
gparted /dev/sda

Re: LTSP-pnp and 16.04?

David Groos
Hi Alkis,

You're right, I hadn't thought about how Edubuntu's dissolution affects our loosely connected e-mail community. Thanks to those who have been leading our group for these many years. Do you suggest I re-post this question/answer to the ltsp-discuss list? The info that you gave is probably pretty important to many people world wide. Maybe a link to a blog-post containing this info at the bottom of the ltsp-pnp install page? Let me know.

Thanks for all this info. I figure I can decode most/all of this as I get to that stage (and may ask for further detail at some point). It's also reassuring that you are available for hire as needed!

Hope your school year ends peacefully,
David