Laptop locks up when lid re-opened

Pete Smout
Hi,

Im running 13-04, and I am *very* impressed apart from the slight issue,
of it locking up when the lid on the laptop is closed and re-opened.
I can find nothing that shouts at me in either the kern.log or x.log but
it has happened 3 times now!

It is worth noting that it does not happen every time the lid is closed
approx 1 in 5?
The system is fully updated as of 9.30 am today.

        Symptoms:- open lid the 'screensaver' asks for password (as it should)
the desktop reappears but the mouse cursor will not move, the keyboard
is unresponsive (can't bring the dash up with 'super key' and ctrl-alt
F1 does not work in dropping to shell the only thing i can do is a 'hard
reset' hold the power button down for 10 sec (ish) and switch  the
machine off!

        System Details:- Ubuntu 13-04 (Unity), 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, (6gb Swap
partition) INTEL graphics chip. (I also have XBMC & GNOME installed but
not used when this problem presents itself!)

Anyone had a similar thing? or any ideas??

TIA

Pete

Re: Laptop locks up when lid re-opened

Tony Scott-2
Hi there

What's the laptop manufacturer and model name?

Cheers

--
Tony Scott
http://tonyscott.org.uk | http://wpuk.org | http://savetvc.co.uk

On 30 May 2013 11:18, pete smout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im running 13-04, and I am *very* impressed apart from the slight issue, of
> it locking up when the lid on the laptop is closed and re-opened.
> I can find nothing that shouts at me in either the kern.log or x.log but it
> has happened 3 times now!
>
> It is worth noting that it does not happen every time the lid is closed
> approx 1 in 5?
> The system is fully updated as of 9.30 am today.
>
>         Symptoms:- open lid the 'screensaver' asks for password (as it
> should) the desktop reappears but the mouse cursor will not move, the
> keyboard is unresponsive (can't bring the dash up with 'super key' and
> ctrl-alt F1 does not work in dropping to shell the only thing i can do is a
> 'hard reset' hold the power button down for 10 sec (ish) and switch  the
> machine off!
>
>         System Details:- Ubuntu 13-04 (Unity), 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, (6gb Swap
> partition) INTEL graphics chip. (I also have XBMC & GNOME installed but not
> used when this problem presents itself!)
>
> Anyone had a similar thing? or any ideas??
>
> TIA
>
> Pete

Re: Laptop locks up when lid re-opened

Grant Phillips-Sewell-2
[...]

Hi Pete,

Do you have another machine that you can use when this happens? If you do, then you might be able to SSH into your locked-up laptop to run some more tests whilst the machine is actually "locked up".

Grant.

On 30/05/13 11:27, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

> On 30 May 2013 11:18, pete smout <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Im running 13-04, and I am *very* impressed apart from the slight
>     issue, of it locking up when the lid on the laptop is closed and
>     re-opened.
>     I can find nothing that shouts at me in either the kern.log or x.log
>     but it has happened 3 times now!
>
>     It is worth noting that it does not happen every time the lid is
>     closed approx 1 in 5?
>     The system is fully updated as of 9.30 am today.
>
>              Symptoms:- open lid the 'screensaver' asks for password (as
>     it should) the desktop reappears but the mouse cursor will not move,
>     the keyboard is unresponsive (can't bring the dash up with 'super
>     key' and ctrl-alt F1 does not work in dropping to shell the only
>     thing i can do is a 'hard reset' hold the power button down for 10
>     sec (ish) and switch  the machine off!
>
>              System Details:- Ubuntu 13-04 (Unity), 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD,
>     (6gb Swap partition) INTEL graphics chip. (I also have XBMC & GNOME
>     installed but not used when this problem presents itself!)
>
>     Anyone had a similar thing? or any ideas??
>
>     TIA
>
>     Pete
>

> Hi Pete,
>
> Do you have another machine that you can use when this happens? If you
> do, then you might be able to SSH into your locked-up laptop to run some
> more tests whilst the machine is actually "locked up".
>
> Grant.

Hi,

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720.

And Yes I do have access to another LINUX machine (not Ubutnu but
openSuse) but that is at home and I am not at the moment! if the problem
occurs when I am at home I will try ssh'ing into the laptop via suse, in
the mean time I just trying to find out what is happening as it is *not*
necessarily re-produceable 'on demand' only happens 1 in 5 times the lid
is closed (approx).

Hope this helps

On 30 May 2013 11:44, pete smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720.

Hi Pete

Have you tried to see if the problem is on Google?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Acer+Aspire+5720+ubuntu&oq=Acer+Aspire+5720+ubuntu

Cheers

On 30/05/13 11:59, Tony Scott wrote:

> On 30 May 2013 11:44, pete smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720.
>

> Hi Pete
>
> Have you tried to see if the problem is on Google?
>
> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Acer+Aspire+5720+ubuntu&oq=Acer+Aspire+5720+ubuntu
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Tony Scott
> http://tonyscott.org.uk | http://wpuk.org | http://savetvc.co.uk

Hi Tony

Yes I did look, all I found was how to patch the kernel to control the
CPU fan, as Acer 'forgot' to put it in BIOS and 'pathced Win VISTA'!

The lockup on close of lid was first noticed 2 days ago, and I put it
down to 'computers do misbehave!' but now it has occurred 3 or 4 times,
I have to put it down to a change of something? (I have been running
13-04 without issue for approx 3wks now). The only packages that have
been installed / removed in that time are Updates done via 'Software
Updater' in the GUI (yes I know you can use the terminal but I'm
basically a lazy person ;¬)  ). I also know that raring is a
'development release' ie. not LTS and as such issues may well occur and
the point of posting here was to see if it was just me...... as it
appears to me to be Update related?!? *I may be wrong*

The suggestion from Grant to ssh into my lappy has been taken on board
and I have already arranged with a friend to use his machine to ssh into
mine *if* the issue pokes its head up before I get home!

Pete