Last Bionic Final testing -- we hope!

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi folks, new ISOs are again available. Zsync really saves time if you
already have a Bionic Final image saved. Just remember to cd to that
folder first. :-)

One more time, please! Especially you lovely i386 users.

All the best,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Last Bionic Final testing -- we hope!

Valorie Zimmerman
By the way, there are i386 tests done (thanks, crimsun!) but non on
i386 hardware. I hope you i386 users can get this done soon. Remember
to note what environment you are using to test.

Thanks,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Last Bionic Final testing -- we hope!

Franklin Weng

It's been very difficult to find *real* i386 (single-core) machine now, at least here.  Even a 10-year-old laptop has dual core.
The closest environment I can get is a virtual machine running on PVE.

Franklin

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: Last Bionic Final testing -- we hope!

Valorie Zimmerman
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:29 PM, Franklin Weng
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been very difficult to find *real* i386 (single-core) machine now, at
> least here.  Even a 10-year-old laptop has dual core.
> The closest environment I can get is a virtual machine running on PVE.
>

> Franklin

Then in your opinion, is it worthwhile to offer them? I was thinking
of you in particular when I argued for continuing to provide them.
Testing would be a great deal easier with only amd64!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been very difficult to find *real* i386 (single-core) machine now, at
> least here.  Even a 10-year-old laptop has dual core.
> The closest environment I can get is a virtual machine running on PVE.
>

> Franklin

Then in your opinion, is it worthwhile to offer them? I was thinking
of you in particular when I argued for continuing to provide them.
Testing would be a great deal easier with only amd64!

I'll say yes, because as I have said a particular scenario would still use it -- not on a real i386 machine, but on virtual box running on a i386 Windows host.
I met such scenario several times when promoting FOSS.

But in this case, it is still running on a virtual machine.  In real machine cases I met (mostly old Eeepc) they were single core and hence need i386 version, but the memory was too few (less then 1G) to run Kubuntu live!  Only native Lubuntu i386 could fit into those machines.

Franklin

--
Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: Last Bionic Final testing -- we hope!

Marco Parillo
Yes, that scenario is familiar to me: running a VM for my personal use of an organization's computer.
Two organizations issued me 64-bit Win7 laptops, with 64-bit virtualization turned off in the BIOS.
I had the knowledge and permissions to enable 64-bit virtualization, but many others would not.