Latest 19.04 apt dist-upgrade caused my system to boot to a blank screen

Latest 19.04 apt dist-upgrade caused my system to boot to a blank screen

Christopher Patti
I saw a systemd update go by which made my eyebrows go up.

Tried booting previous kernels, no dice.

What would folks suggest as first stage debugging steps? Should I figure out how to track down and revert that systemd upgrade?

This is Kubuntu 19.04 on an Alienware 17 R5 / NVidia binary drivers.

Would booting into recovery mode (which works fine) and running ubuntu-bug help anything?

Thanks!
-Chris

Re: Latest 19.04 apt dist-upgrade caused my system to boot to a blank screen

Clay Weber-2

Sorry for the incomplete response.

Are you seeing a blank screen after after logging in? If so, do you have a mouse cursor at all?

Is there anything specific that makes you think it is related to systemd?

If you have a mouse cursor, try alt-space and so if krunner opens. If it does, plasma has likely crashed for some reason. See if entering the command 'plasmashell' in krunner and see it the desktop runs.

On Jul 21, 2019, 10:12 AM, at 10:12 AM, Clay Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What is the actual problem, specifically?
>
>On July 21, 2019 at 1:55 AM Christopher Patti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>I saw a systemd update go by which made my eyebrows go up.
>
>Tried booting previous kernels, no dice.
>
>What would folks suggest as first stage debugging steps? Should I
>figure out how to track down and revert that systemd upgrade?
>
>This is Kubuntu 19.04 on an Alienware 17 R5 / NVidia binary drivers.
>
>Would booting into recovery mode (which works fine) and running
>ubuntu-bug help anything?
>

>Thanks!
>-Chris

Re: Latest 19.04 apt dist-upgrade caused my system to boot to a blank screen

Christopher Patti
Hi Clay.

Very specifically, after seeing the Grub menu and hitting return on Ubuntu, the screen goes black and the keyboard goes unresponsive other than Ctrl-Alt-del.

As I think I mentioned previously I see the same black screen even if I choose to boot older kernels.

To answer someone else's question I have not tried nomodeset yet. I'll give that a go this evening :)

Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone!
-Chris

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019, at 9:09 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> Sorry for the incomplete response.
>

> Are you seeing a blank screen after after logging in? If so, do you
> have a mouse cursor at all?
>
> Is there anything specific that makes you think it is related to systemd?
>
> If you have a mouse cursor, try alt-space and so if krunner opens. If
> it does, plasma has likely crashed for some reason. See if entering the
> command 'plasmashell' in krunner and see it the desktop runs.
>
> On Jul 21, 2019, 10:12 AM, at 10:12 AM, Clay Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >What is the actual problem, specifically?
> >
> >On July 21, 2019 at 1:55 AM Christopher Patti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >I saw a systemd update go by which made my eyebrows go up.
> >
> >Tried booting previous kernels, no dice.
> >
> >What would folks suggest as first stage debugging steps? Should I
> >figure out how to track down and revert that systemd upgrade?
> >
> >This is Kubuntu 19.04 on an Alienware 17 R5 / NVidia binary drivers.
> >
> >Would booting into recovery mode (which works fine) and running
> >ubuntu-bug help anything?
> >

> >Thanks!
> >-Chris

Re: Latest 19.04 apt dist-upgrade caused my system to boot to a blank screen

Christopher Patti
Good troubleshooting call.

I just tried both 'nomodeset' and 'text'.

With either, I still get the same behavior that the system boots to a black screen.

I now suspect this isn't nvidia related at all but in fact more has to do with the fact that my Alienware 17 R5 uses a chip set which
apparently Linux power management / etc doesn't like very much.

It took me forever to find a distro that would work at all, and now it appears that even my beloved Kubuntu has decided that I suck for not having bought an approved laptop :)

Next time around (in 3-4 years given my budget :) I will be more careful.

-Chris