Launcher icon size

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Launcher icon size

Ian Bruntlett
Hi,

I'd like to decrease the size of Launcher icons on Ubuntu 18.04 to make room for even more icons. I've looked in settings, looked at Gnome Tweaks but haven't found anything there.

Also, is there a Gnome extension I could use to get a "start menu" type menu, to make it easier to browse installed programs?

TIA,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 18:26, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to decrease the size of Launcher icons on Ubuntu 18.04 to make room for even more icons. I've looked in settings, looked at Gnome Tweaks but haven't found anything there.

It's in Tweak.

> Also, is there a Gnome extension I could use to get a "start menu" type menu, to make it easier to browse installed programs?

Several.

E.g.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/6/applications-menu/

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/608/gnomenu/

Browse extensions.gnome.org


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Liam,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 17:54, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 18:26, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to decrease the size of Launcher icons on Ubuntu 18.04 to make room for even more icons. I've looked in settings, looked at Gnome Tweaks but haven't found anything there.

It's in Tweak.
Whereabouts? I've looked through Tweaks' GUI and couldn't spot it. I am using Ubuntu 18.10.

> Also, is there a Gnome extension I could use to get a "start menu" type menu, to make it easier to browse installed programs?

Several.
Thanks. I'd prefer to use something out of Ubuntu's package repositories so I'll try something over the weekend on something not so critical.

BW,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Liam,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 18:18, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Whereabouts? I've looked through Tweaks' GUI and couldn't spot it. I am using Ubuntu 18.10.
I've changed it in Settings. I "discovered" that Settings is stateful and starts up in the submenu it was last left running in. Frustrating but fixed.

BW,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 17:26, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to decrease the size of Launcher icons on Ubuntu 18.04 to make room for even more icons. I've looked in settings, looked at Gnome Tweaks but haven't found anything there.

It is not in Tweaks, it is in Settings > Dock

Colin

>
> Also, is there a Gnome extension I could use to get a "start menu" type menu, to make it easier to browse installed programs?
>
> TIA,
>
>
> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 17:26, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, is there a Gnome extension I could use to get a "start menu" type menu, to make it easier to browse installed programs?

Just checking that you know that if you hit the Super key (generally
the Windows key) and start typing an apps name it should find it.
Also in the Ubuntu Software app you can show all installed apps.  I
know that is not what you asked for.

Colin


>
> TIA,
>
>
> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Colin,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 18:30, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just checking that you know that if you hit the Super key (generally
the Windows key) and start typing an apps name it should find it.
Also in the Ubuntu Software app you can show all installed apps.  I
know that is not what you asked for.

Yes, I've been relying on Super + 0-9 as a hotkey for a long time. And I was aware of the other hints you mentioned :)

I was hoping to find a GNOME extension, preferably in the Ubuntu package repositories, that provides a "start menu"-like facility to make it easier to migrate friends from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. It is early days yet and I'm going to play around with gnomenu.

Thanks for your time,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:24, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've changed it in Settings. I "discovered" that Settings is stateful and starts up in the submenu it was last left running in. Frustrating but fixed.

A am sorry for my error.

I do not run GNOME 3 on any hardware as I find it intolerably
frustrating. I did not have access to one of my test VMs when I was
replying before.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:46, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was hoping to find a GNOME extension, preferably in the Ubuntu package repositories, that provides a "start menu"-like facility to make it easier to migrate friends from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. It is early days yet and I'm going to play around with gnomenu.

FWIW I have been experimenting with GNOME 3 in 1804 in VMs.

I found that a whole bunch of GNOME extensions are, as you say,
packaged with the distro. So, I attempted to customise GNOME 3 into
something I would find vaguely usable, along the lines of this blog
post I wrote a little while ago:

https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/57630.html

I found several issues:

* If you use the packaged versions, then visiting extensions.gnome.org
will result in warnings about out-of-date extensions.

* If you try to update them, you end up with 2 versions installed at
once. This often results in crashes.

* I personally can't make a desktop I like with only Ubuntu-packaged extensions.

* Mixing and matching packaged extensions and ones from gnome.org
results in a system lockup and an unusable desktop

Additionally:

* You _can_ install VirtualBox guest additions on 18.04 but they do
not provide graphics acceleration even on X.org

The only setup I have found remotely usable is to make it vaguely
Windows-10 like, with Dash-To-Panel:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/

This replaces a number of other extensions, so you don't need
extensions to move the clock, hide the redundant "activities" button,
etc.

It also seems to work with the to me essential "extend system menu" extension.

Also, from experiments, you can replace the GNOME app launcher with a
menu on top of Dash To Panel.

However, I find the horizontal panel unusable with a widescreen
monitor. I want it vertical. D2P doesn't support that.

So for me this is not a working setup.

Additionally, from previous experiments, I have found that if you
customise GNOME 3 with extensions like this, a system upgrade is
almost certain to result in a badly broken desktop, probably one where
you can't log in at all.

This is reproducable on both Ubuntu and Fedora.

And since I find the default layout of GNOME 3 unusable, this means
that for me, GNOME 3 is unusable. It also means that if I need to
switch desktops, I am evaluating whether I wish to stay with Ubuntu at
all.

Very sad times.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:03:51 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:46, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>> I was hoping to find a GNOME extension, preferably in the Ubuntu
>> package repositories, that provides a "start menu"-like facility to
>> make it easier to migrate friends from Windows to Ubuntu Linux.
>Additionally, from previous experiments, I have found that if you
>customise GNOME 3 with extensions like this, a system upgrade is
>almost certain to result in a badly broken desktop, probably one where
>you can't log in at all.

Just autostart a panel of your choice, that provides a 'start menu'.
How about 'fbpanel' with 'systemmenu'? How about 'xfce4-panel' with
'applicationsmenu' or 'whiskermenu'?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Gene Heskett-2
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On Monday 22 October 2018 06:03:51 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:46, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > I was hoping to find a GNOME extension, preferably in the Ubuntu
> > package repositories, that provides a "start menu"-like facility to
> > make it easier to migrate friends from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. It
> > is early days yet and I'm going to play around with gnomenu.
>
> FWIW I have been experimenting with GNOME 3 in 1804 in VMs.
>
> I found that a whole bunch of GNOME extensions are, as you say,
> packaged with the distro. So, I attempted to customise GNOME 3 into
> something I would find vaguely usable, along the lines of this blog
> post I wrote a little while ago:
>
> https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/57630.html
>
> I found several issues:
>
> * If you use the packaged versions, then visiting extensions.gnome.org
> will result in warnings about out-of-date extensions.
>
> * If you try to update them, you end up with 2 versions installed at
> once. This often results in crashes.
>
> * I personally can't make a desktop I like with only Ubuntu-packaged
> extensions.
>
> * Mixing and matching packaged extensions and ones from gnome.org
> results in a system lockup and an unusable desktop
>
> Additionally:
>
> * You _can_ install VirtualBox guest additions on 18.04 but they do
> not provide graphics acceleration even on X.org
>
> The only setup I have found remotely usable is to make it vaguely
> Windows-10 like, with Dash-To-Panel:
>
> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/
>
> This replaces a number of other extensions, so you don't need
> extensions to move the clock, hide the redundant "activities" button,
> etc.
>
> It also seems to work with the to me essential "extend system menu"
> extension.
>
> Also, from experiments, you can replace the GNOME app launcher with a
> menu on top of Dash To Panel.
>
> However, I find the horizontal panel unusable with a widescreen
> monitor. I want it vertical. D2P doesn't support that.
>
> So for me this is not a working setup.
>
> Additionally, from previous experiments, I have found that if you
> customise GNOME 3 with extensions like this, a system upgrade is
> almost certain to result in a badly broken desktop, probably one where
> you can't log in at all.
>
> This is reproducable on both Ubuntu and Fedora.
>
> And since I find the default layout of GNOME 3 unusable, this means
> that for me, GNOME 3 is unusable. It also means that if I need to
> switch desktops, I am evaluating whether I wish to stay with Ubuntu at
> all.
>
> Very sad times.
>
Liam, please take a look at TDE. Its a fork of KDE at about the 3.5
version level, but with hundreds of bugs fixed. I'm running it on 2 of
the more powerfull machines here, out of 7. Current version is R14.0.6.
Very little is new, but everthing I've tried works. And still under what
I'd call active development. If you update at least weekly, 10+ packages
are usually updated. I agree, gnome3 is a train wreck, gtk2 was a much
better tool, but gladevcp is now unusable, so I'm forced to use the less
capable pyvcp for my cnc machine's gui extensions and I've lots of handy
video gingerbread on them.  It wastes screen real estate, but otherwise
Just Works. Even on a pi-3b that's running my biggest lathe, a 70 yo
11x36 Sheldon. I am even compensating for bed wear.


> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> [hidden email] Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053



--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:17:47 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 22 October 2018 06:03:51 Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:46, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> > I was hoping to find a GNOME extension, preferably in the Ubuntu
>> > package repositories, that provides a "start menu"-like facility to
>> > make it easier to migrate friends from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. It
>> > is early days yet and I'm going to play around with gnomenu.
>>
>> FWIW I have been experimenting with GNOME 3 in 1804 in VMs.
>>
>> I found that a whole bunch of GNOME extensions are, as you say,
>> packaged with the distro. So, I attempted to customise GNOME 3 into
>> something I would find vaguely usable, along the lines of this blog
>> post I wrote a little while ago:
>>
>> https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/57630.html
>>
>> I found several issues:
>>
>> * If you use the packaged versions, then visiting extensions.gnome.org
>> will result in warnings about out-of-date extensions.
>>
>> * If you try to update them, you end up with 2 versions installed at
>> once. This often results in crashes.
>>
>> * I personally can't make a desktop I like with only Ubuntu-packaged
>> extensions.
>>
>> * Mixing and matching packaged extensions and ones from gnome.org
>> results in a system lockup and an unusable desktop
>>
>> Additionally:
>>
>> * You _can_ install VirtualBox guest additions on 18.04 but they do
>> not provide graphics acceleration even on X.org
>>
>> The only setup I have found remotely usable is to make it vaguely
>> Windows-10 like, with Dash-To-Panel:
>>
>> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/
>>
>> This replaces a number of other extensions, so you don't need
>> extensions to move the clock, hide the redundant "activities" button,
>> etc.
>>
>> It also seems to work with the to me essential "extend system menu"
>> extension.
>>
>> Also, from experiments, you can replace the GNOME app launcher with a
>> menu on top of Dash To Panel.
>>
>> However, I find the horizontal panel unusable with a widescreen
>> monitor. I want it vertical. D2P doesn't support that.
>>
>> So for me this is not a working setup.
>>
>> Additionally, from previous experiments, I have found that if you
>> customise GNOME 3 with extensions like this, a system upgrade is
>> almost certain to result in a badly broken desktop, probably one where
>> you can't log in at all.
>>
>> This is reproducable on both Ubuntu and Fedora.
>>
>> And since I find the default layout of GNOME 3 unusable, this means
>> that for me, GNOME 3 is unusable. It also means that if I need to
>> switch desktops, I am evaluating whether I wish to stay with Ubuntu at
>> all.
>>
>> Very sad times.
>>
> Liam, please take a look at TDE. Its a fork of KDE at about the 3.5
> version level, but with hundreds of bugs fixed. I'm running it on 2 of
> the more powerfull machines here, out of 7. Current version is R14.0.6.
> Very little is new, but everthing I've tried works. And still under what
> I'd call active development. If you update at least weekly, 10+ packages
> are usually updated. I agree, gnome3 is a train wreck, gtk2 was a much
> better tool, but gladevcp is now unusable, so I'm forced to use the less
> capable pyvcp for my cnc machine's gui extensions and I've lots of handy
> video gingerbread on them.  It wastes screen real estate, but otherwise
> Just Works. Even on a pi-3b that's running my biggest lathe, a 70 yo
> 11x36 Sheldon. I am even compensating for bed wear.

What he said!   TDE   +1

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD
    * Killfiling google & XXXXbanter.com: jonz.net/ng.htm


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 13:03, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just autostart a panel of your choice, that provides a 'start menu'.
> How about 'fbpanel' with 'systemmenu'? How about 'xfce4-panel' with
> 'applicationsmenu' or 'whiskermenu'?

I have used Ubuntu since it was launched. I have always used the
default desktop.

Also, I now work for SUSE. Its SLED  (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop)
defaults to GNOME 3 and KDE is not in the repos.

I am trying to get used to GNOME 3.

I am trying to find ways to adapt it so I find it usable.

I am failing.

Adding bits of other desktops is not a clean way to proceed. (Also, I
personally _don't_ want a start menu. That was the OP.)

When got this job just over 1 year ago, I tried GNOME 3 again.
Then I tried the following desktops:
* GNOME 3 on SUSE, Fedora & Ubuntu
* KDE 5 on SUSE
* LXDE on Ubuntu, SUSE and Devuan
* Cinnamon on Gecko
* Budgie on Ubuntu
* LXQt on SUSE and Gecko
* Maté on SUSE and Ubuntu
* Xfce on Fedora, SUSE and Ubuntu

Currently, these are my findings:
* GNOME 3 and KDE 5 borderline unusable.
* GNOME 3 can be customised into something a bit better but it makes
it very unstable.
* KDE can't, for me.
* Maté and Cinnamon don't do vertical taskbars at all.
* Cinnamon has other issues: poor stability, can't edit Wifi
connections from the GUI
* Budgie is pointless: it doesn't do anything you can't easily
configure Maté, Xfce or LXDE to do
* LXDE  does vertical taskbars well, but they aren't very customisable
and it's EOL.
* LXQt isn't finished enough to use.

So I am using XFCE on SUSE at work. It does everything I need. Its
sole drawback is minor: I can't pin apps to the taskbar, one of the
*very* few additions to Windows Vista & later that I like.

So, if XFCE works for me, why not just use XFCE? Why try to crowbar
another desktop into being something it isn't?

Corollary: if I switch to XFCE, then why stick with Ubuntu? Why not go
upstream and use Debian, or switch to the distro I use at work every
day, openSUSE (or Gecko, which is to openSUSE what Mint is to Ubuntu)?
Or be lazy and switch to Mint?

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Gene Heskett-2
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 13:19, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >
> Liam, please take a look at TDE.

Aha, you mean Trinity, the fork of KDE 3?

Yes, I know it.

There is a discussion in openSUSE whether to offer Trinity. They have
currently decided not to, for the following reasons:

[1] it's moribund with almost no code commits & major unfixed bugs open

[2] SUSE still supports KDE 3 on old versions of SLED. It has fixed
bugs still unfixed in TDE.

[3] Like Maté inherited a ton of code from GNOME 2 that's no longer
maintained, TDE inherits a ton of code from KDE 3. This all needs to
be maintained, because all its tooling has been superseded twice now,
first by KDE 4 and then that by KDE 5. There is not enough manpower to
do this.

It is active but it has few users or maintainers.

For me, I have not tried it, because I didn't personally like KDE 3.

I liked KDE 1.

KDE 2 I found was cluttered. Corel LinuxOS made it usable. I blogged
about this yesterday:

https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/59010.html

Xandros, the continuation of Corel, tried but didn't get far at taming
KDE 3. :-(

KDE 4 was beyond bloated into parody. KDE 5 is only a tiny bit better
but loses important functionality  -- e.g. a panel can't span 2
monitors any more.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 22 October 2018 09:35:09 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 13:19, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Liam, please take a look at TDE.
>
> Aha, you mean Trinity, the fork of KDE 3?
>
> Yes, I know it.
>
> There is a discussion in openSUSE whether to offer Trinity. They have
> currently decided not to, for the following reasons:
>
> [1] it's moribund with almost no code commits & major unfixed bugs
> open
>
> [2] SUSE still supports KDE 3 on old versions of SLED. It has fixed
> bugs still unfixed in TDE.
>
I wasn't aware of that.

> [3] Like Maté inherited a ton of code from GNOME 2 that's no longer
> maintained, TDE inherits a ton of code from KDE 3. This all needs to
> be maintained, because all its tooling has been superseded twice now,
> first by KDE 4 and then that by KDE 5. There is not enough manpower to
> do this.
>
> It is active but it has few users or maintainers.
>
> For me, I have not tried it, because I didn't personally like KDE 3.
>
> I liked KDE 1.

So did I, in about 1999. What it did was give you the basics, and it all
worked,
>
> KDE 2 I found was cluttered.

And bugs weren't fixed without a lot of users fussing. Bugzilla itself
was a cast iron pita in those days. Demanding folks use it or be ignored
cut their maintenance work by 95%. That eventually did get fixed, its
actually useable for several years now, but old habits die hard and we
both are well aware of that.

> Corel LinuxOS made it usable. I blogged
> about this yesterday:

Must have missed that, don't get your blog.
>
> https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/59010.html
>
> Xandros, the continuation of Corel, tried but didn't get far at taming
> KDE 3. :-(

It did need taming. Some of its eye candy had the beginnings of a
dangerous beast. TDE seems to have fixed everything except the
intermittent loss of indexes in kmail 1.9.

> KDE 4 was beyond bloated into parody.

Not even Gas-X could fix that, and I suspect an 8 core 3.5GHz cpu and
24Gb of memory would be overworked trying. I only have a 4 core 2.1 GHz
phenom and 8 Gb.  Two days of uptime and I was a gigabyte into swap.
Right now its 10 days uptime and 24 megs into swap.

> KDE 5 is only a tiny bit better
> but loses important functionality  -- e.g. a panel can't span 2
> monitors any more.

Is that a qt5 problem, or kde's?  I don't have room for 2 monitors, but
do have a plethora of workspaces. What you might use for monitors
probably has a printer occupying that space here.

> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> [hidden email] Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053

Take care Liam.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 18:18, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Corel LinuxOS made it usable. I blogged
> > about this yesterday:
>
> Must have missed that, don't get your blog.

No reason you should. I just happened to be talking about it on Reddit
2 days ago.

> It did need taming. Some of its eye candy had the beginnings of a
> dangerous beast. TDE seems to have fixed everything except the
> intermittent loss of indexes in kmail 1.9.

It doesn't fix the clutter.

I'm not talking about bloat, although it has that too.

There are dozens of pointless little options to twiddle. Panel at
bottom? Sure. Full width? Bottom left? Bottom right? Sure. Left edge?
Top left? Centre left? Etc.

I don't want any of that crap. All these options are bloat. I want to
drag it where it should go and for it to stay there. Buttons and
dialogs are the bloat, not the functionality. Direct interaction, not
options to frobnicate.

And I don't want bloody panels anywhere. I want a vertical taskbar,
like Windows has done for twenty-three damn years, and KDE still can't
do, even though it's a ripoff of Windows from top to bottom.

I don't want a Windows-lookalike, but nothing else is left now. If I
must use one, I want a _good_ one, one that _works_. KDE does not.

> Is that a qt5 problem, or kde's?

They deleted the code. They removed it. Too complicated, it looked
like it would be hard to maintain.

>  I don't have room for 2 monitors, but
> do have a plethora of workspaces. What you might use for monitors
> probably has a printer occupying that space here.

I don't print anything. I haven't turned my printer on in 6 months.
But I type every day. Screens are _way_ more important than monitors
to me. My iMac has 2 x 27" screens. (Honestly, they're a bit too big.
I'd prefer 3 or 4 smaller ones.)


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Gene Heskett-2
On Tuesday 23 October 2018 04:24:04 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 18:18, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > > Corel LinuxOS made it usable. I blogged
> > > about this yesterday:
> >
> > Must have missed that, don't get your blog.
>
> No reason you should. I just happened to be talking about it on Reddit
> 2 days ago.
>
> > It did need taming. Some of its eye candy had the beginnings of a
> > dangerous beast. TDE seems to have fixed everything except the
> > intermittent loss of indexes in kmail 1.9.
>
> It doesn't fix the clutter.
>
Clutter is in the eye of the beer holder. :) Over a background of the
horsehead nebula, I have 5 or 6 hardware icons at the extreme left edge,
gkrellm occupies the right hand inch on a 23" screen. The launcher for
the popup menu, two copies of the FF icon, 10 squares for the pager, and
about 13 really small icons (the docker) to the left of the clock in the
lower bar. I don't call that excessively cluttered.

> I'm not talking about bloat, although it has that too.
>
> There are dozens of pointless little options to twiddle. Panel at
> bottom? Sure. Full width? Bottom left? Bottom right? Sure. Left edge?
> Top left? Centre left? Etc.
>
> I don't want any of that crap. All these options are bloat. I want to
> drag it where it should go and for it to stay there. Buttons and
> dialogs are the bloat, not the functionality. Direct interaction, not
> options to frobnicate.
>
> And I don't want bloody panels anywhere. I want a vertical taskbar,
> like Windows has done for twenty-three damn years, and KDE still can't
> do, even though it's a ripoff of Windows from top to bottom.
>
> I don't want a Windows-lookalike, but nothing else is left now. If I
> must use one, I want a _good_ one, one that _works_. KDE does not.
>
> > Is that a qt5 problem, or kde's?
>
> They deleted the code. They removed it. Too complicated, it looked
> like it would be hard to maintain.
>
> >  I don't have room for 2 monitors, but
> > do have a plethora of workspaces. What you might use for monitors
> > probably has a printer occupying that space here.
>
> I don't print anything. I haven't turned my printer on in 6 months.

One of them is my short term memory, Liam.

> But I type every day. Screens are _way_ more important than monitors
> to me. My iMac has 2 x 27" screens. (Honestly, they're a bit too big.
> I'd prefer 3 or 4 smaller ones.)
>
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> [hidden email] Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053



--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 06:39:01 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Clutter is in the eye of the beer holder.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
                              Not necessarily wordplay comedy!

In Germany we always had good beer, but the most successful
startups seem to be craft beer shops from tenderfoot hipsters, selling
overpriced something they call beer. Actually often those who don't
drink beer, buy beer in such shops as birthday gift, for those who
drink beer.

New desktop environments are like new types of beer. Those who drink
beer don't want to drink pee brewed by hipsters. Those who use window
managers and desktop environments as a tool to do real work, don't want
to use crappy desktop environments programmed by hipsters.

There seems to be a bunch of hipsters who drink pee while using a
desktop environment to watch "television shows", aka Internet thingies,
that are way below the artwork niveau of porn.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

Liam Proven
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 13:46, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Germany we always had good beer, but the most successful
> startups seem to be craft beer shops from tenderfoot hipsters, selling
> overpriced something they call beer. Actually often those who don't
> drink beer, buy beer in such shops as birthday gift, for those who
> drink beer.
>
> New desktop environments are like new types of beer. Those who drink
> beer don't want to drink pee brewed by hipsters. Those who use window
> managers and desktop environments as a tool to do real work, don't want
> to use crappy desktop environments programmed by hipsters.
>
> There seems to be a bunch of hipsters who drink pee while using a
> desktop environment to watch "television shows", aka Internet thingies,
> that are way below the artwork niveau of porn.

This is fantastic! I love it. May I quote you?


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launcher icon size

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:44:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 06:39:01 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Clutter is in the eye of the beer holder.  
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
>                              Not necessarily wordplay comedy!
>
>In Germany we always had good beer, but the most successful
>startups seem to be craft beer shops from tenderfoot hipsters, selling
>overpriced something they call beer. Actually often those who don't
>drink beer, buy beer in such shops as birthday gift, for those who
>drink beer.
>
>New desktop environments are like new types of beer. Those who drink
>beer don't want to drink pee brewed by hipsters. Those who use window
>managers and desktop environments as a tool to do real work, don't want
>to use crappy desktop environments programmed by hipsters.
>
>There seems to be a bunch of hipsters who drink pee while using a
>desktop environment to watch "television shows", aka Internet thingies,
>that are way below the artwork niveau of porn.

The way you could configure your DE's panel is irrelevant, if you just
want to watch

Subscribers 5.2+ million
Total views 2.0+ billion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianca_Heinicke

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(TV_series)

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

and

[...]

I wonder how much the carbon footprint of this bestsellers is. Don't
use tungsten filament bulbs and power saving computers, instead use
light bulbs with missing colours and colour spikes and computers with
bloated hardware and software to stream TiBs of crappy data.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12