Left favorites bar

Jerry Geis
I can "remove" the top bar with this command:
dbus-send --print-reply --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.panel.actor.hide();'

is there a similar command for the left favorites bar ?
I am looking for a command line way to hide it or remove it.

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Left favorites bar

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:54:52 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
>I can "remove" the top bar with this command:
>dbus-send --print-reply --session --type=method_call
>--dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval
>string:'Main.panel.actor.hide();'
>
>is there a similar command for the left favorites bar ?
>I am looking for a command line way to hide it or remove it.

Hi,

I'm not using GNOME, however, for some reason it's installed. Is "bar"
for "panel"?  If so, gsettings or dconf can be used with scripts.

  $ gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-panel.layout toplevel-id-list
  ['top-panel', 'bottom-panel']

  $ dconf dump /org/gnome/gnome-panel/layout/toplevels/
  [bottom-panel]
  animation-speed='fast'
  auto-hide=false
  auto-hide-size=1
  enable-buttons=false
  expand=true
  hide-delay=300
  orientation='bottom'
  size=24
  unhide-delay=100
  y-bottom=0

  [top-panel]
  animation-speed='fast'
  auto-hide=false
  auto-hide-size=1
  enable-buttons=false
  expand=true
  hide-delay=300
  orientation='top'
  size=24
  unhide-delay=100

  $ gsettings --help
  Unknown command --help
  [snip]
    get                       Get the value of a key
    set                       Set the value of a key
  [snip]

"Unknown command --help ;)", it's GNOME/GTK and it's Windows alike
registry.

  $ dconf --help
  error: unknown command --help

  Usage:
    dconf COMMAND [ARGS...]

  Commands:
    help              Show this information
    read              Read the value of a key
    list              List the contents of a dir
    write             Change the value of a key
    reset             Reset the value of a key or dir
    compile           Compile a binary database from keyfiles
    update            Update the system databases
    watch             Watch a path for changes
    dump              Dump an entire subpath to stdout
    load              Populate a subpath from stdin

  Use 'dconf help COMMAND' to get detailed help.

It's nice to use gsettings and dconf by one script, since you always
need to reformat the path by the "set" command or similar. It makes
much GNOME/GTKish sense to use the formatting

org.gnome.gnome-panel.layout

and

/org/gnome/gnome-panel/layout/

for the same path. It's asking for pills and straitjackets. But that's
like GNOME/GTK is.

I used gsettings and dconf a lot by scripts. Apart from a few pitfalls
it works quite straightforward once you get used to insanity.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Left favorites bar

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 16:56, Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can "remove" the top bar with this command:
> dbus-send --print-reply --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.panel.actor.hide();'
>
> is there a similar command for the left favorites bar ?
> I am looking for a command line way to hide it or remove it.

I suggest a visit to extensions.gnome.org and look for extensions to
accomplish what you want, as a "cleaner" way to accomplish this.

But if you don't want the panel or the dash, why are you using GNOME
at all? A switch to a lighter-weight desktop such as Xfce will give
you a faster, more responsive computer.

If you don't like desktop environments, try CrunchBang++ which has a
very lightweight customised OpenBox setup. It's my favourite of the
ultra-light distros.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: Left favorites bar

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:20:14 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>But if you don't want the panel or the dash, why are you using GNOME
>at all? A switch to a lighter-weight desktop such as Xfce will give
>you a faster, more responsive computer.

Hi,

Liam has very good reasons to choose XFCE, especially for his panel
needs. IMO XFCE was quite good. I used it myself, but IMO it's on the
wrong path already, too. Even if I would share Liam's panel needs, I
would use openbox with xfce4-panel...

>If you don't like desktop environments, try CrunchBang++ which has a
>very lightweight customised OpenBox setup. It's my favourite of the
>ultra-light distros.

...actually you could stay with Ubuntu, e.g. use the server install
and remove what you dislike in the first place, by the installer and
after that install e.g. openbox or jwm or something similar.

I was used to jwm, but I migrated and now I'm used to openbox and use
two panels, both on top, those are lxpanel and fbpanel.

However, GTK2 is close to death and GTK3 is nasty, if fore some reason
you want to use GNOME, then consider to stay with GNOME. Get rid of
dbus-whatsoever commands, if possible. As pointed out by my previous
mail, it's no fun to use the gsettings or dconf command (you still
might need to use dbus-foo in addition), but I'm using those commands.
Most of the times they do the job, they fail relatively seldom, but
actually they could fail.

FWIW I'm using Arch Linux most of the times, followed by a tailored
Ubuntu install, but IMO NomadBSD (a live FreeBSD that comes with
openbox) is interesting, too.

Unfortunately the two guys who replied to your request yet, aren't
friends of GNOME. If at all, Liam and I probably would chose Mate over
GNOME. Hopefully a GNOME expert chimes in and provides a more helpful
pointer. Still consider to take a look at gsettings and dconf.

My 2 Cents,
Ralf

Re: Left favorites bar

Liam Proven
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 16:33, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately the two guys who replied to your request yet, aren't
> friends of GNOME.

:-) True!

> If at all, Liam and I probably would chose Mate over
> GNOME.

If I had no other options (OK, or the other options were KDE or
something), then yes!

MATE is fine, really. But I like my taskbar to be vertical. XFCE does
that really well. (LXDE and LXQt do it OK. KDE very poorly.)
Unfortunately MATE does this very poorly too. The closest with GNOME
is DashToPanel, which is clever, but in vertical arrangement it's a
single column of controls and that is basically useless.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]