Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Gordon Burgess-Parker-2
I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!
Ubuntu 11.04 and Libre Office 3.3.2.
the Ubuntu version of Libre Office will STILL NOT USE the Thunderbird
addressbook as an address data source!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?
Why do those of us who don't like Evolution have to remove the
Ubuntu-supplied Office suite (and this has been going on for YEARS) and
replace it with the suite downloaded directly from the suite site?

Re: Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Avi Greenbury-4
Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
> WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?

Why haven't you? You can append the patch to the bug report on
Launchpad, though it might be nicer to send it straight to the LO guys.

--
Avi

Re: Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Colin Law-4
On 14 June 2011 22:10, Gordon Burgess-Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!
> Ubuntu 11.04 and Libre Office 3.3.2.
> the Ubuntu version of Libre Office will STILL NOT USE the Thunderbird
> addressbook as an address data source!
>
> WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
> WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?
> Why do those of us who don't like Evolution have to remove the
> Ubuntu-supplied Office suite (and this has been going on for YEARS) and
> replace it with the suite downloaded directly from the suite site?

Could you provide a link to the bug report please?

Thanks

Colin

On 14/06/11 22:13, Avi wrote:
> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>
>> WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
>> WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?
> Why haven't you? You can append the patch to the bug report on
> Launchpad, though it might be nicer to send it straight to the LO guys.

It's nothing to do with LO - it's Canonical.

Re: Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Avi Greenbury-4
Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On 14/06/11 22:13, Avi wrote:
> > Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> >
> >> WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
> >> WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?
> > Why haven't you? You can append the patch to the bug report on
> > Launchpad, though it might be nicer to send it straight to the LO
> > guys.
> >
> It's nothing to do with LO - it's Canonical.

Really? Do you have the bug number? I can't find it on Launchpad and
I'm intrigued as to the discussion here.

--
Avi

On 14/06/11 22:14, Colin Law wrote:

> On 14 June 2011 22:10, Gordon Burgess-Parker<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!
>> Ubuntu 11.04 and Libre Office 3.3.2.
>> the Ubuntu version of Libre Office will STILL NOT USE the Thunderbird
>> addressbook as an address data source!
>>
>> WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
>> WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?
>> Why do those of us who don't like Evolution have to remove the
>> Ubuntu-supplied Office suite (and this has been going on for YEARS) and
>> replace it with the suite downloaded directly from the suite site?
> Could you provide a link to the bug report please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

It's not a bug, it's the way Canonical add the Office suite to Ubuntu.
It's been going on for years with Open Office and now they've done the
same with LO...
If you use Evolution then OO (or LO I presume, I uninstall Evolution
because I never use it) will use the Evolution Addressbook but not
anything else.
If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office suite and install direct
from OO ot LO then the TBird addressbook can be used as a data source.

Re: Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Avi Greenbury-4
Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> It's not a bug, it's the way Canonical add the Office suite to
> Ubuntu. It's been going on for years with Open Office and now they've
> done the same with LO...
> If you use Evolution then OO (or LO I presume, I uninstall Evolution
> because I never use it) will use the Evolution Addressbook but not
> anything else.
> If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office suite and install
> direct from OO ot LO then the TBird addressbook can be used as a data
> source.

That *is* a bug, but I can't find it filed anywhere. The Launchpad bug
reports is the place to file this - the Ubuntu LO packages are likely
to not be subscribed to this list.

--
Avi

On 14/06/11 22:22, Avi wrote:

> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

>>> Why haven't you? You can append the patch to the bug report on
>>> Launchpad, though it might be nicer to send it straight to the LO
>>> guys.
>>>
>> It's nothing to do with LO - it's Canonical.
>>
> Really? Do you have the bug number? I can't find it on Launchpad and
> I'm intrigued as to the discussion here.

There is no bug number because it isn't a bug. It's the way Canonical
integrate Open office (and now LO) into Ubuntu. it's been done this way
for YEARS.
If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office and install direct from
the OO website then TBird addressbook can be used as an address data source.
Why Canonical have to fiddle with it I don't know....

Avi wrote:

> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>
> > It's not a bug, it's the way Canonical add the Office suite to
> > Ubuntu. It's been going on for years with Open Office and now
> > they've done the same with LO...
> > If you use Evolution then OO (or LO I presume, I uninstall
> > Evolution because I never use it) will use the Evolution
> > Addressbook but not anything else.
> > If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office suite and install
> > direct from OO ot LO then the TBird addressbook can be used as a
> > data source.
> >

> That *is* a bug, but I can't find it filed anywhere. The Launchpad bug
> reports is the place to file this - the Ubuntu LO packages are likely
> to not be subscribed to this list.

Aha! 93546:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546

A brief scan of the discussion infers the problem is in Mozilla's
codebase, but it looks like it's not the simple fix you think it is. I
am sure all involved would be glad to be proven otherwise, though.

--
Avi

On 14 June 2011 22:26, Gordon Burgess-Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/06/11 22:22, Avi wrote:
>>
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

>>> It's nothing to do with LO - it's Canonical.
>>>
>> Really? Do you have the bug number? I can't find it on Launchpad and
>> I'm intrigued as to the discussion here.
>>
> There is no bug number because it isn't a bug. It's the way Canonical
> integrate Open office (and now LO) into Ubuntu. it's been done this way for
> YEARS.

That is a bug then.  LibreOffice should be able to use the Thunderbird
address book and it can't in Ubuntu (apparently) so that is a bug.
Report it rather than complaining about it.  Nothing will change
unless it is reported.

> If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office and install direct from the
> OO website then TBird addressbook can be used as an address data source.
> Why Canonical have to fiddle with it I don't know....

Well it is a bug in the Canonical fiddling in that case so report it.

Colin

Re: Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Bruno Girin-2
On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 22:22 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On 14/06/11 22:14, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 14 June 2011 22:10, Gordon Burgess-Parker<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!
> >> Ubuntu 11.04 and Libre Office 3.3.2.
> >> the Ubuntu version of Libre Office will STILL NOT USE the Thunderbird
> >> addressbook as an address data source!
> >>
> >> WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CANONICAL?
> >> WHY CANNOT YOU IMPLEMENT THIS VERY SIMPLE FUNCTION?
> >> Why do those of us who don't like Evolution have to remove the
> >> Ubuntu-supplied Office suite (and this has been going on for YEARS) and
> >> replace it with the suite downloaded directly from the suite site?
> > Could you provide a link to the bug report please?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Colin
> >
> It's not a bug, it's the way Canonical add the Office suite to Ubuntu.
> It's been going on for years with Open Office and now they've done the
> same with LO...
> If you use Evolution then OO (or LO I presume, I uninstall Evolution
> because I never use it) will use the Evolution Addressbook but not
> anything else.
> If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office suite and install direct
> from OO ot LO then the TBird addressbook can be used as a data source.

Have you tried to install the mozilla-libreoffice package after you
install Thunderbird? Note that I don't use Thunderbird so don't know if
it will fix your problem.

Cheers,

Bruno

Re: Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Dave Morley-3
On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 22:31 +0100, Bruno Girin wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 22:22 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> > > Could you provide a link to the bug report please?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Colin
> > >
> > It's not a bug, it's the way Canonical add the Office suite to Ubuntu.
> > It's been going on for years with Open Office and now they've done the
> > same with LO...
> > If you use Evolution then OO (or LO I presume, I uninstall Evolution
> > because I never use it) will use the Evolution Addressbook but not
> > anything else.
> > If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office suite and install direct
> > from OO ot LO then the TBird addressbook can be used as a data source.
>
> Have you tried to install the mozilla-libreoffice package after you
> install Thunderbird? Note that I don't use Thunderbird so don't know if
> it will fix your problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruno

Gordon

As a canonical employee I can tell you it is a bug, it is either a bug
in that Ubuntu doesn't package something that is latter relied on by TB
LO or it is a packaging issue with the way LO is integrated.  Either way
it is a BUG!

If it is a software issue and it effects you it is a BUG! Whether it be
something that is missed out intentionally or accidentally, whether it
is an issue with the code or lack of code etc etc etc it is a bug!

Please file a bug then the developers working on OO.o/LO will know about
it until then they don't, their only reference on if they do a good job
of packaging and integrating LO in to Ubuntu is the increase or lack of
bugs.  I can't stipulate this enough if it works with the LO download
and doesn't in Ubuntu it is a BUG, please please please report it on
Launchpad so the developers are aware of it even if it is marked as a
duplicate of an older bug, it is important that someone say it effects
them in Natty.

P.S. When you do the install direct from LO you'll find out that it
included a load of stuff that isn't covered in the Ubuntu package in
order to maintain the package size, for example OO.o couldn't do a html
page layout without installing SUN's (at the time) version of Java there
are plenty of other things too but I think you'll get the drift.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk