Linux-friendly laptops

MR ZenWiz
I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.

Current options are:

ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
Dell M6700 Covet

The Dell is slightly more expensive, but I'm leaning toward it because
I'm fairly familiar with Dells and they tend to be OS agnostic,
durable and reliable.

Thanks.

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Phil Dobbin
On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> Current options are:
>
> ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
> Dell M6700 Covet
>
> The Dell is slightly more expensive, but I'm leaning toward it because
> I'm fairly familiar with Dells and they tend to be OS agnostic,
> durable and reliable.
I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.

Recommended.

Cheers, Phil.

0x17F9F9B7.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Wade Smart-2
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
>> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.

Ive used thinkpads for years without a single issue.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Chris Green
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:26:04PM -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
> >> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> Ive used thinkpads for years without a single issue.

Yes, 'me too', X2nn and T4nn series.

--
Chris Green

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

C de-Avillez-2
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:24:05 -0700
MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> Current options are:
>
> ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
> Dell M6700 Covet
>
> The Dell is slightly more expensive, but I'm leaning toward it because
> I'm fairly familiar with Dells and they tend to be OS agnostic,
> durable and reliable.
All of System76 [1] hardware is Linux-compatible (they sell it with
pre-installed Ubuntu). I have used System76 for the last 4 years, with
no issues.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://system76.com/

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Joel Roth
Chris Green wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
> > Ive used thinkpads for years without a single issue.
> >
> Yes, 'me too', X2nn and T4nn series.

I'm happy with my T430 and T410 before that, however with
both I experienced an issue with I/O errors occurring on USB
drives after a period of inactivity, which are resolved by
re-connecting and mounting the drive.

--
Joel Roth

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Chris Green
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 08:13:07AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> Chris Green wrote:
> > Wade Smart wrote:
> > > Ive used thinkpads for years without a single issue.
> > >
> > Yes, 'me too', X2nn and T4nn series.
>
> I'm happy with my T430 and T410 before that, however with
> both I experienced an issue with I/O errors occurring on USB
> drives after a period of inactivity, which are resolved by
> re-connecting and mounting the drive.

I use USB so rarely that I don't suppose I'd notice that.

--
Chris Green

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Jim Ohlstein
Hello,

On 06/24/2017 11:24 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> Current options are:
>
> ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
> Dell M6700 Covet
>
> The Dell is slightly more expensive, but I'm leaning toward it because
> I'm fairly familiar with Dells and they tend to be OS agnostic,
> durable and reliable.

I'm sending this from a Dell Inspiron running Xenial. Clean install and
no problems. I've used Dells for probably close to twenty years, if not
more.

--
Jim Ohlstein
Profesional Mailman Hosting

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Doug McGarrett

On 06/24/2017 12:01 PM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:

I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.

Current options are:

ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
Dell M6700 Covet

The Dell is slightly more expensive, but I'm leaning toward it because
I'm fairly familiar with Dells and they tend to be OS agnostic,
durable and reliable.
I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.

Recommended.

Cheers, Phil.

Just a note on Dells: I have three (don't ask!) and two of them have Broadcom wifi boards. PCLinuxOS can be programmed to used them, but NOT easily,
and now that Broadcom has been bought out by someone, maybe not at all--don't know. However, one of those with the Broadcom board runs MINT 17
right out of the box--no setup required!

--doug

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Tab Gilbert
Phoronix is hosting a 2017 Linux Laptop Survey. From their site:While Linux laptop compatibility is much better than where it was years ago, it's still not too uncommon to run into display/hybrid issues, shorter battery life under Linux than Windows or macOS, touchpad problems, and other occasional compatibility/performance shortcomings. So we've established this Linux Laptop Survey in conjunction with Linux stakeholders to hopefully gather more feedback that will be useful to many different parties...
The survey will be online until July 6th, after which the results will be publicly available, and will determine the most popular brands, distros, screen sizes, and GPUs, as well as common pain points and popular price points. And one particularly interestng question asks respondents what they'd like to see in a "dream Linux laptop."
via slashdot

tab

On 24 June 2017 at 17:24, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.

Go look for used Thinkpads in preference to new laptops from anyone
else. Less problems with Linux than any other make I have ever seen,
and better build quality than any other make.

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

MR ZenWiz
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
>> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
> install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.
>
> Recommended.

Normally I'd agree totally.  My last two laptops were both HPs - old,
but stable and reliably running Xubuntu for a long time.  The newer
one was stolen, hence the original need for a replacement.

The older one no longer runs with Xubuntu 16.04, which is odd because
before the newer one was stolen, it ran just fine.  Now it hobbles
along on the newer one's original Windows disk, only it can't run
right because MS doesn't allow its Windows to run in new hardware
without permission.  I'm thinking about that.

Meanwhile I have totally given up on the ASUS.  It turns out it has
some annoying hardware issues I just don't care to deal with, plus it
weighs a ton (ok, 12+ lbs).

I found a nicer, newer model of the 8740w than the one I had that was
stolen refurbished and for a decent price.  I've never liked refurb
machines before because I was told more than once that refurbished
means the manufacturer fixed the reported defects and re-shipped after
verification testing against ONLY those defects.  Hopefully this one
works out, and the dealer offers a 1 year warranty, so I hope it works
out.

It looked nice on Amazon....

Thanks, all.
MR

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Robert-164
I use both a Dell Latitude E5400 and HP Probook 6450b (Dual boot with Windows 10pro) with Xubuntu 17.04 and Xubunntu 16.04. Both are 64bit. They both connect with my networked HP Inkjet 3050. They also connect with my Windows 10 Pro on my Dell 755 desktop.

Robert

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Guang Chao

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:37 AM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
>> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
> install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.
>
> Recommended.

Normally I'd agree totally.  My last two laptops were both HPs - old,
but stable and reliably running Xubuntu for a long time.  The newer
one was stolen, hence the original need for a replacement.

The older one no longer runs with Xubuntu 16.04, which is odd because
before the newer one was stolen, it ran just fine.  Now it hobbles
along on the newer one's original Windows disk, only it can't run
right because MS doesn't allow its Windows to run in new hardware
without permission.  I'm thinking about that.

Meanwhile I have totally given up on the ASUS.  It turns out it has
some annoying hardware issues I just don't care to deal with, plus it
weighs a ton (ok, 12+ lbs).

I am a big Asus fan.  All my laptops since 2007 have been Asus and all are functioning to this day.  Maybe it depends on the model.

For Linux friendly, I think just make sure the model is out for at least a year.  Most issues are with drivers and such.

I found a nicer, newer model of the 8740w than the one I had that was
stolen refurbished and for a decent price.  I've never liked refurb
machines before because I was told more than once that refurbished
means the manufacturer fixed the reported defects and re-shipped after
verification testing against ONLY those defects.  Hopefully this one
works out, and the dealer offers a 1 year warranty, so I hope it works
out.

It looked nice on Amazon....

Thanks, all.
MR

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Jay Vollmer
I'm finding that except for an unrecognized fingerprint reader, the ThinkPad T470p is a very nice Linux system.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Guang Chao <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:37 AM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
>> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
> install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.
>
> Recommended.

Normally I'd agree totally.  My last two laptops were both HPs - old,
but stable and reliably running Xubuntu for a long time.  The newer
one was stolen, hence the original need for a replacement.

The older one no longer runs with Xubuntu 16.04, which is odd because
before the newer one was stolen, it ran just fine.  Now it hobbles
along on the newer one's original Windows disk, only it can't run
right because MS doesn't allow its Windows to run in new hardware
without permission.  I'm thinking about that.

Meanwhile I have totally given up on the ASUS.  It turns out it has
some annoying hardware issues I just don't care to deal with, plus it
weighs a ton (ok, 12+ lbs).

I am a big Asus fan.  All my laptops since 2007 have been Asus and all are functioning to this day.  Maybe it depends on the model.

For Linux friendly, I think just make sure the model is out for at least a year.  Most issues are with drivers and such.

I found a nicer, newer model of the 8740w than the one I had that was
stolen refurbished and for a decent price.  I've never liked refurb
machines before because I was told more than once that refurbished
means the manufacturer fixed the reported defects and re-shipped after
verification testing against ONLY those defects.  Hopefully this one
works out, and the dealer offers a 1 year warranty, so I hope it works
out.

It looked nice on Amazon....

Thanks, all.
MR

JAY VOLLMER
I write technical manuals; therefore I am a manual laborer

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:51:52PM -0500, Jay Vollmer wrote:
>    I'm finding that except for an unrecognized fingerprint reader, the
>    ThinkPad T470p is a very nice Linux system.

I have a ThinkPad T470 which I bought (ex-demo I think) on eBay for a
very reasonable price and it runs xubuntu beautifully.

--
Chris Green

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Dr Rainer Woitok
Eero and others,

On Thursday, 2017-07-13 06:59:23 +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Current options are:
>
> ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
> Dell M6700 Covet

Does anybody have  any experience with the  Germany based company Tuxedo
Computers (https://www.tuxedocomputers.com)?

Sincerely,
  Rainer

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Owen Thomas
Unfortunately, it seems that I had been sold on a Dell Latitude E5570 laptop with Ubuntu 14.4 "preinstalled". When I tried updating to 16.4, I lost my sound. I can get it back by running alsamixer from a terminal and activating the speaker channel manually but I have to do this every time I restart my laptop. I seem to be having problems installing Adobe Flash plugin.

I think I have a Latitude E5570 that has an Ubuntu somewhere between 14.4 and 16.4. I fear that I won't be able to upgrade to the next LTS.

<sob>

On 13 July 2017 at 20:05, Dr Rainer Woitok <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eero and others,

On Thursday, 2017-07-13 06:59:23 +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Current options are:
>
> ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
> Dell M6700 Covet

Does anybody have  any experience with the  Germany based company Tuxedo
Computers (https://www.tuxedocomputers.com)?

Sincerely,
  Rainer

Re: Linux-friendly laptops

Tony Arnold-3
Owen,

Did you do an upgrade, or a fresh install of 16.04?

I did something similar with the Dell XPS-13 'Developers edition' which had 14.04 installed. But Dell had added various bits of their own which meant upgrading never worked properly. I eventually, did a complete fresh install of 16.04 and that works fine. To Dell's credit, the bits they had added to their pre-installation they also submitted for inclusion in the standard release, hence the 16.04 install just worked.

To test, you could try booting 16.04 from a live CD and see what works and what doesn't.

Regards,
Tony.

On Thu, 2017-07-13 at 20:32 +1000, Owen Thomas wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems that I had been sold on a Dell Latitude E5570 laptop with Ubuntu 14.4 "preinstalled". When I tried updating to 16.4, I lost my sound. I can get it back by running alsamixer from a terminal and activating the speaker channel manually but I have to do this every time I restart my laptop. I seem to be having problems installing Adobe Flash plugin.

I think I have a Latitude E5570 that has an Ubuntu somewhere between 14.4 and 16.4. I fear that I won't be able to upgrade to the next LTS.

<sob>

On 13 July 2017 at 20:05, Dr Rainer Woitok <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eero and others,

On Thursday, 2017-07-13 06:59:23 +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Current options are:
>
> ASUS G751JT (2 of these, possibly 3)
> Dell M6700 Covet

Does anybody have  any experience with the  Germany based company Tuxedo
Computers (https://www.tuxedocomputers.com)?

Sincerely,
  Rainer

Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G.110, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039