Linux on the cheap?

Steve Mynott
Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
like form factor) with good linux support?

I assume netbooks themselves are pretty dead (which is a pity since
some had decent keyboards).

Has anyone found anything similar?  I suppose a chromebook running the
libfakeroot linux might be the closest although most of them have very
restricted SSD space.

Any suggestions?

--
4096R/EA75174B Steve Mynott <[hidden email]>

Re: Linux on the cheap?

J Fernyhough
On 22/09/15 19:49, Steve Mynott wrote:
> Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
> like form factor) with good linux support?

Refurbished Lenovos. I got an X61 a couple of years ago for £60 and it's
(still) excellent. You should be able to find some X201 for around £150.

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Alan Pope-2
On 22 September 2015 at 19:49, Steve Mynott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
> like form factor) with good linux support?

http://www.ebuyer.com/ubuntu

One of those perhaps.

Cheers,
Al.

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Simon Greenwood

On 22 September 2015 at 19:49, Steve Mynott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
like form factor) with good linux support?

I assume netbooks themselves are pretty dead (which is a pity since
some had decent keyboards).

Has anyone found anything similar?  I suppose a chromebook running the
libfakeroot linux might be the closest although most of them have very
restricted SSD space.

Any suggestions?

--
4096R/EA75174B Steve Mynott <[hidden email]>

--

Some of the Windows with Bing laptops might be worth a punt, as far as I can see they're just regular laptops with what used to be known as Windows Home on them and there a few netbook factor models around.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Re: Linux on the cheap?

TT Mooney-2
Depends on what formfactor you're after. There should be plenty of options if you'll consider secondhand/refurbished.

The Thinkpad X series is good. My X220 is still chugging along. I have a Samsung Chromebook that I bought to run Arm Linux on, but it was never fantastic. When my Pi-Top arrives, I'll let you know how it is, but I'm guessing Xubuntu should run well enough.

Hmm, more options than answers, I'm afraid. Older MacBooks might also be worth a look, but storage could be an issue with smaller SSDs.

On 22 September 2015 at 20:49, Steve Mynott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
> like form factor) with good linux support?
>
> I assume netbooks themselves are pretty dead (which is a pity since
> some had decent keyboards).
>
> Has anyone found anything similar?  I suppose a chromebook running the
> libfakeroot linux might be the closest although most of them have very
> restricted SSD space.
>
> Any suggestions?

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/15348/Lenovo-IBM-X201-Intel-i5-520M-2-4GHz-12-1-Laptop-4GB-160GB-Windows-7-Pro-No-WebCam/

I use an X200, the previous model with a Core 2 Duo.

It is pretty bulletproof with Ubuntu. 13.10 ran fine but with slight
occasional screen glitches; 14.04 resolved this and I'm staying on it
until the next LTS.

Mine cost me £125, and then I sold my netbook for £100. I added a new
extended battery (£40) and increased RAM from 4GB to 8GB because I got
an offer for only £20. (The latter prices were in Czech Crowns, so are
a bit approximate.) All in, about £90. A real bargain and a lovely
little machine.

I even got the fingerprint reader working with minimal effort -- one
PPA, install, done. I rarely use it but it functions.

Lenovo machines are significantly better-built and tougher than the
competition, and I know from visiting Mark "SABDFL" Shuttleworth's old
flat in Kensington after the Ubuntu 5.04 launch party that much of
Ubuntu is developed on Thinkpads -- so driver support is good.

I run a desktop Mac (with 3rd party screens and mouse and a vintage
Apple keyboard from 1990, when Apple still made good keyboards) -- but
for notebooks I've been buying and recommending Thinkpads for years.
They've never let me down.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

Re: Linux on the cheap?

J Fernyhough

Re: Linux on the cheap?

andres
Acer aspire one. Runs great on Lubuntu variant (trisquel mini) for the last 8 years.

Saw them on ebay for less that £20. Normally battery dies but you can buy an 6-8hr one for £20 to £40 on amazon.

Only the BIOS is non free
https://h-node.org/ is good for. Checking if it depends only on proprietary drivers.

--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Liam Proven
On 23 September 2015 at 15:39, Andrés Muñiz Piniella
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Acer aspire one. Runs great on Lubuntu variant (trisquel mini) for the last 8 years.

That's what I sold to buy my X200. :-)

Yes, the Thinkpad is much bigger, but it's very portable and also
usable as a general-purpose computer, whereas the AA1 was too small
and too slow -- it was just about usable for note-taking, at a push,
but it came to the point where I preferred to use my smartphone for
simple, idle, recreational use. My tiny Thinkpads (the X200 replaced
an old workhorse X31) have earned me thousands of pounds in paid work
and also provided lots of fun too.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

Re: Linux on the cheap?

alan c-2
On 22/09/15 19:59, Alan Pope wrote:

> On 22 September 2015 at 19:49, Steve Mynott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
>> like form factor) with good linux support?
>>

> http://www.ebuyer.com/ubuntu
>
> One of those perhaps.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

When I looked at these, it seemed they used a slightly non standard
Ubuntu, and probably would not boot from a standard live dvd, which I
wanted, however, they were very attractive
--
alan cocks

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Paul Sutton-3

Re: Linux on the cheap?

andres

Acer aspire one. Runs great on Lubuntu variant (trisquel mini) for the last 8 years.

>That's what I sold to buy my X200. :-)

And that is the one I want to buy from a freedom loving company directly (free bios as well) fsf approved: ) and UK based SME?

https://www.fsf.org/news/libreboot-x200-laptop-now-fsf-certified-to-respect-your-freedom
--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group

Re: Linux on the cheap?

David King-16
On 22/09/15 19:59, Alan Pope wrote:
On 22 September 2015 at 19:49, Steve Mynott [hidden email] wrote:
Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
like form factor) with good linux support?

http://www.ebuyer.com/ubuntu

One of those perhaps.

Cheers,
Al.

Although they look like great laptops, and just what I am looking for at present, Ebuyer no longer stock them.

My partner has a Dell Inspiron which is a few years old now, it came preinstalled with Ubuntu, and today it will not boot. Might be just the battery or the PSU, but if the whole laptop is dead, then she needs a new one, so I am looking for a new laptop. The idea is to buy one with Ubuntu pre-installed, or another Linux OS, as then we are certain that the correct hardware drivers will be available and loaded.

Does anyone have any good recommendations, looking in the £300 to £400 price range? Dell still do Ubuntu laptops but they are way more expensive than they used to be (the Inspiron only cost £300).

David King

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Barry Drake
On 21/11/15 22:21, David King wrote:
> Does anyone have any good recommendations, looking in the £300 to £400
> price range? Dell still do Ubuntu laptops but they are way more
> expensive than they used to be (the Inspiron only cost £300).

I can recommend Cougar -  http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/  The web site
does not show a Linux option for the Laptops, but when you talk to them,
they will definitely offer to supply the one of your choice with Ubuntu
installed.  Most of the guys who work there are Linux geeks.
Personally, I'd go for anything Lenlovo.  I'm on my second Lenovo
Netbook, and paid less for it on ebay than I got when I sold my previous
one on ebay.  The new one is a much higher, faster spec too!

Regards, Barry.

--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Steve Mynott
To answer my own question I ended up with a HP Stream 11 (150 quid
from PC World *shudder*) which has a good display and keyboard for the
money (although cheap trackpad).

It only has 32GB eMMC which is slow and has driver issues with many
open source OSes but it does work with vanilla ubuntu LTS (although
the equivalent lubuntu didn't install so I had to install the packages
on top of the standard LTS).

Over all recommended as a cheap system.

On 22 November 2015 at 08:22, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/11/15 22:21, David King wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have any good recommendations, looking in the £300 to £400
>> price range? Dell still do Ubuntu laptops but they are way more
>> expensive than they used to be (the Inspiron only cost £300).
>

> I can recommend Cougar -  http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/  The web site
> does not show a Linux option for the Laptops, but when you talk to them,
> they will definitely offer to supply the one of your choice with Ubuntu
> installed.  Most of the guys who work there are Linux geeks. Personally, I'd
> go for anything Lenlovo.  I'm on my second Lenovo Netbook, and paid less for
> it on ebay than I got when I sold my previous one on ebay.  The new one is a
> much higher, faster spec too!
>
> Regards,                Barry.
>
> --
> http://barrydrake.co.nr/

4096R/EA75174B Steve Mynott <[hidden email]>

Re: Linux on the cheap?

Nigel Verity
Hi

If price is the ultimate decider then you will probably do best to take the pragmatic approach and get a laptop with Windows pre-installed and simply replace it with Linux. I know it's a bit galling to pay the "Windows tax" but I've always found that to be the cheapest way of achieving the goal.

In terms of hardware, I would agree that Lenovo are always a safe bet for a Linux install. If you are set on the netbook form-factor then Acer are well worth a look too. I've got Lenovo, Dell, Acer and HP laptops running flavours of Ubuntu and have had no problems with any of them. As long as you don't succumb to an impulse purchase, you can find a model you like then search online for any adverse experiences and be guided by the results.

A lot of Chromebooks can be reconfigured easily for Linux. They can be found for very reasonable prices, though disk space might be a consideration.

Nige

Re: Linux on the cheap?

David Goldsbrough
I now run a lenovo T60 running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS which I bought for around £100 from Morgan compurers - a refurbished model.  It was easy to install Ubuntu and get rid of win xp.  Since buying it I have suffered from low vision but it has been quite easy for me to install all the assistive technology needs that I need now and may need in the future.
Be brave!

Re: Linux on the cheap?

andres
http://minifree.org/

Libreboot x2000 might be just in your price range.

Or buy a compatible device and have them install libreboot hardware for you.

--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group

Re: Linux on the cheap?

David King-16
I found an almost identical Dell Inspiron on ebay but with better specs. It
has Windows, but I can easily install Linux Mint instead.

Was only £110, and in good condition.

David King

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device